DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Khan takes salary cut

I see that Khan has voluntarily taken a 10% salary cut. Big of him. He claims that the lockdown has cost lots of money due to less council tax and business rates. Lots of other local politicos closing the same.

By what logic do they claim that? I'm not aware of any mechanism to pay less council tax during lockdown. If it exists I'd like to know about it. In a similar manner, I thought that business rates were payable on the premises no matter whether or not there was a profitably trading business there. Charity shops exempted.

Any fucy excuse to look for more bailouts for their own incompetence.

9 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I see that Khan has voluntarily taken a 10% salary cut. Big of him. He claims that the lockdown has cost lots of money due to less council tax and business rates. Lots of other local politicos closing the same.

By what logic do they claim that? I'm not aware of any mechanism to pay less council tax during lockdown. If it exists I'd like to know about it. In a similar manner, I thought that business rates were payable on the premises no matter whether or not there was a profitably trading business there. Charity shops exempted.

There are several on here who have stopped paying their council tax.

From memory and apologies if I'm wrongly identifying them: @Wight Flight, @Panther and one other.

2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Not impressed, that man has had and has other sources of income I am to willing bet, people willing to pay for someone like him  to be in power, don't trust that little s*** at all, 10% is nothing for him

If you can voluntarily give up 10% of your salary, it suggests you were over paid in the first place*

Not an issue in private sector, certainly is in the public sector.

* I could probably do it with no ill effects, and yes I'm over paid.

Edited by gilf
2 minutes ago, gilf said:

If you can voluntarily give up 10% of your salary, it suggests you were over paid in the first place*

I have been preparing for 3 years now to be in a position where my business could take a -70% hit and I could still pay the bills. I don't like C-19 and the harm it causes some people, but other that I am embracing lockdown and the downward slide our economy and housing market is going back to at the end of this year. 

13 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Is there an election coming up ?

Khanny move.

And if he were to get the extra £500M he would spend it on his re election campaign claiming that it was available due to his good management despite oppression from the hidiously white government. 

It would have made far more sense for him to say:

I'm going to work an extra 10% for free in order to identify all the areas of wasteful expenditure and stop them.

I'm sure he could have identified at least a few % to safe from the budget, which would have vastly exceeded the savings he's offering with a 10% pay cut.

Local councils (and similar) are dreadful -- when faced with a funding squeeze their first action is usually to identify things that are popular and provide a 'benefit to all' and threaten to cut them.  This then leads to support for increases in funding.  If they worked for us they'd be doing the opposite, but they behave more like large corporations, finding any way to increase in size/power.  

Edited by dgul
1 hour ago, haroldshand said:

Not impressed, that man has had and has other sources of income I am to willing bet, people willing to pay for someone like him  to be in power, don't trust that little s*** at all, 10% is nothing for him

This. I doubt if his entire salary amounts to more than a tiny percentage of what he's made indirectly from being Mayor.

A perpetually unemployed mate of mine recently received a rebate of council tax through some hardship fund worth a couple of months paid directly into his bank account. He hadn't applied for this and what's more surprising is he's in receipt of council tax benefit.

3 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

A perpetually unemployed mate of mine recently received a rebate of council tax through some hardship fund worth a couple of months paid directly into his bank account. He hadn't applied for this and what's more surprising is he's in receipt of council tax benefit.

Well hearing that do you think you might be overdoing it on the work front with your half day a week Tom?

4 hours ago, gilf said:

I could give up 10% of mine and I’m not well paid but I would not . Next month I’ve got no overtime at all that’s a first in 51 months.im guessing my pay will drop to 14/1500 take home for 4 weekly pay .

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well hearing that do you think you might be overdoing it on the work front with your half day a week Tom?

Fair point! I actually overcooked it on the work front in my first year claiming universal credit and will roll my hours from 18-20 back to 12-15. 

In three years I'll be back to full time anyway, the point is my mate actively avoids working while I have full time responsibility for my two children and that has been particularly demanding during the lockdown. 

9 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

He should stop drawing any of it seeing as the mayoral election was cancelled due to CV and he may well be out on his ear by now!