• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrLibertyRedux

Where's my jetpack?

Posted (edited)

So as not to derail @TheCountOfNowhere thread on "What would you do to fix the world....", I thought it would be worth finding out how you all thought the future would be when you were a child.

Jetpacks, obviously a given.

For me, space travel would be as routine as jet travel, there would be space stations, moonbases and a Martian colony and we would be well on our way to exploring and mining the rest of the solar system.

Seasteading was also something I hoped for in my future.

What about the rest of you?

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Phucking fone

1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

For me, space travel would be as routine as jet travel, there would be space stations, moonbases and a Martian colony and we would be well on our way to exploring and mining the rest of the solar system.

We already have the space station. We also have the moonbases and a Martian colony but it's a secret until the right people establish solid legal ownership of the mining output.

So much more leisure time as computers would do all the work.  I work with computers.

'Free' electricity as it would be too cheap to measure.  Not sure if Chernobyl helped end that one, or it was never going to happen.

We got videophones like when I used to watch Stingray in the 1960s

ab86c337d055b99ac404cc679fcb2bc8.jpg

Also Dick Tracey style wristwatch telephones, although now that it's easily possible everyone has decided they don't really want to do that as talking to your wrist looks a bit odd.

iphone-dick-tracy.png

17 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

So as not to derail @TheCountOfNowhere thread on "What would you do to fix the world....", I thought it would be worth finding out how you all thought the future would be when you were a child.

I've been telling my kids that that's how I'd like to travel to work. I just love the idea of it, totally ace.

1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I was brought up on the tomorrows world promise of jet packs for all.

even if they were viable the Establishment would regulate the *** out of them and stop the plebs having one.

Maggie Philbin didn't touch on this fact.

I didn't actually have such visions as I was happy with the technology we had; in many ways I didn't like the change I was already seeing - digital watches were rubbish, calcualtors were a poor substitute for mental arithmetic and log tables, I kept an alarm clock rather than the newer digital alarm clocks.

Ironically that current technology included:

hqdefault.jpgimage579781x.jpg

Which have since vanished!

Just now, Boglet said:

A functioning high trust homogeneous society

I took that as a given. 

I knew that there had been a wave of black immigrants in the 1950s but their presence was already causing riots in the cities and in seeing that any sane government would surely do its utmost to avoid such a mistake being repeated.

Computers small enough to fit in a garage.

Trousers made of Bacofoil.

Robots that would chauffeur my hovercraft.

Instant communication with anyone in the world by teletype.

Ultra-fast paper tape readers.

Interesting, I think answers may give rough guide to age group, like being brought up on zany sc- fi comics or books or witnessing the moon landing.

By the 80s/90s the lustre of space travel had declined in popular imagination and since we had already meant to have been to the moon I don't remember it featuring much in the news etc

Should have watched some Carl Sagan probably.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I was brought up on the tomorrows world promise of jet packs for all.

Tomorrow's world was amazing, don't know why it went in the bin.

Saying that I couldn't actually imagine having most of the things although I'm sure I believed it all.

Did tomorrow’s World not predict a robot secretary that could do all the menial tasks that a mere woman could do? 

If I recall correctly it was called a BJ-39. Sounds like it covered all the required tasks.

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Interesting, I think answers may give rough guide to age group, like being brought up on zany sc- fi comics or books or witnessing the moon landing.

By the 80s/90s the lustre of space travel had declined in popular imagination and since we had already meant to have been to the moon I don't remember it featuring much in the news etc

Should have watched some Carl Sagan probably.

Yes it had definitely changed by the 80s; US moon landings cancelled, Russia not bothering.

I've heard some 50s and 60s sci fi on Radio 4 Extra like Charles Chilton's journey into space and it doesn't work at all today. 

It was assuming that we were on the cusp of widespread space travel so it was putting contemporary social groups (think wartime films, Ginger and Algy) into spacsehships and sendng them off as casually as you might launch an airline flight today.

The Jetsons was probably the most popular "forward looking" cartoon of the time and it was well before my childhood.

The 50s and 60s were also the time of the rocket inspired cars.

7c7d078861fff34697143601a0b05a0a.jpg

When I was growing up it really was just the computer that promised new things and it was ultimately a screen, a box and a keyboard.  You're not going to design a car to look like that.

3 hours ago, Dogtania said:

I possibly became quite jaded when promised fancy things free with cereal like x-ray sleeve specs that didn't do anything

How I used to, well still do, hanker after some bazooka joe xray specs.