• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Something really needs to be done, it's taking the complete piss now. Last night I didn't feel up to cooking so ordered some food for my husband to pick up on the way home. While trying to find the nutritional information (I'm on an ultra-low carb diet), I discovered that their chicken is halal (which is rather pointless since they serve pork). I was quite annoyed that it is possible to complete an order without ever seeing that so I made a complaint. I just got a reply back and they've told me that they have no choice but to serve halal chicken because they cannot source non-halal chicken in sufficient amounts. We live in a 95% non-muslim country and a chain with about 20 restaurants has no choice but to serve halal chicken because there isn't enough non-halal chicken to do otherwise! How are 5% of the population dictating what the rest of us eat?

There must be something we can do about this, the only thing I can think about is writing to my MP but that hasn't been successful for me for other issues in the past. Maybe if we work together to write a letter we can all send to our MPs we can write it in such a way as to avoid sounding islamophobic and maybe it would be listened to. I could also ask the restaurant chain if I could pass their details along. Maybe if we could identify other businesses that are being forced to sell halal chicken then they might be listened to more than members of the public. Any other ideas?

We have a history of treating animals humanely....and that includes killing for food.  History has shown that the methodology used works with the least stress to the animal.

I'm rather distressed thinking about some poor animal getting it's throat cut.....so I try not to think about it.

And yes....they're taking the complete piss.  They serve turkey ham in schools....what the fuck is that?

I just hope that there is a backlash against large companies who use these meats...such as some of the pizza chains. If the SJW's really care perhaps they should focus in this direction.

I think the labeling of halal and kosher meat should be compulsory and very clear but would come at it from a different angle.

We have some Sikh friends who are vegetarian - not by choice but because it is against their religion to eat Halal meat. Since they cannot guarantee any meat is not halal without proper labeling, their only choice is to not eat any meat.

So not labeling meat is actually discriminating against a minority. But I don't see this argument being put forward - probably because Sikhs like to keep their heads down, integrate and not cause a fuss.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well done on thinking about this. My guess is the battle is lost. It is easier for slaughter houses to produce halal meat for everyone, rather than just for a few in society. So, we all end up appeasing yet again. 

The next step will be to try and ban all pork products. 

The only way to stop it imho is through money.  I have by and large stopped eating chicken. I eat less and less meat. I just don't trust food producers to sell me unadulterated, tortured meat. I buy pork products with impunity and an just about to have a sausage roll from the local baker for lunch.

i will also buy meat from the local butcher but not from supermarkets.

The only way to stop it is a mass boycott.  

Yes...you're right.  

I'm not going to buy torture meat ever again.

It's pork only from now on.   I love sizzling bacon and pork pies.

Morrisons are big on halal. I make a point of never buying anything in there because of this. 

I would advise using your local British butcher.

But as there is one in my town and i've only been in there once, i can't really do that can i?

Many/most takeaways run by the RoP so difficult. Including pizza.

Chinese may be the only option? But then Chinese and animal rights??? Hmmm

Edited by shindigger

Right, the restaurant in my post is Tortilla. I've also contacted Pizza Express and Domino's - I'm thinking any company that serves halal chicken and pork might just not be able to source non-halal chicken.

Just now, Wahoo said:

Yes...you're right.  

My local butcher does a flat pork  pie. It is dinner plate size and thinner than a normal pie. They sell it either whole or by the piece, half, quarter etc.  Wonderful. Food of the gods. Especially if eaten on the day it is bought - they cook them fresh everyday. :)

1 minute ago, This Time said:

Right, the restaurant in my post is Tortilla. I've also contacted Pizza Express and Domino's - I'm thinking any company that serves halal chicken and pork might just not be able to source non-halal chicken.

Freedom of information request to defra regarding the percentage of halal meat, broken down for meat type?

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

Yes...you're right.  

Ditto; with rare exceptions or where I don't get the choice my meat is pork, bacon, pork sausage, and above all black pudding.

I would also note that it's misleading to talk about hala / kosher meat, the reference point should be "religiously slaughtered".  I say this as some of the meat that comes from religiously slaughtered animals is for whatever reason (wrong piece of the animal or something) not regarded as hala / kosher so the restaurant can say with a clear conscience that it isn't halal despite the animal having its throat cut whilst fully conscious.

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Morrisons are big on halal. I make a point of never buying anything in there because of this. 

I would advise using your local British butcher.

But as there is one in my town and i've only been in there once, i can't really do that can i?

Many/most takeaways run by the RoP so difficult. Including pizza.

Chinese may be the only option? But then Chinese and animal rights??? Hmmm

Bugger, forgot about Morrison's and halal.

While searching for restaurants that sell halal chicken I actually found a halal Chinese take away.

Okay, I'll bite... I try to keep my rants to myself but frankly this attitude grinds my gears. I despise Islam and the Islamisation of this country by the backdoor. But getting irate at halal meat because it is "cruel" is doing yourself a disservice. Modern meat production (halal or otherwise) is generally horrific from the moment the animal is born - sorry. 

veal-crate-calf.jpg

None of these videos are from "halal" abattoirs AFAIK.  Grow a pair and watch them. 

Yes, I would like you to kill animals so I can eat bits of their dead corpses, and I don't care how it is done normally, but could you do it without chanting a religious prayer in Arabic beforehand please?

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Okay, I'll bite... I try to keep my rants to myself but frankly this attitude grinds my gears. I despise Islam and the Islamisation of this country by the backdoor. But getting irate at halal meat because it is "cruel" is doing yourself a disservice. Modern meat production (halal or otherwise) is generally horrific from the moment the animal is born - sorry. 

veal-crate-calf.jpg

None of these videos are from "halal" abattoirs AFAIK.  Grow a pair and watch them. 

Yes, I would like you to kill animals so I can eat bits of their dead corpses, and I don't care how it is done normally, but could you do it without chanting a religious prayer in Arabic beforehand please?

Those abattoirs are all breaking the law though while the halal abattoirs are allowed to ignore the law. Big difference.

It's a disgrace. But it's another reason to eat less meat.

I know Veganism had a bad name, but all animal slaughter is horrific to varying degrees, and you don't need to eat lots of meat (or any at all) to be healthy.

Mark my words, the next step will be the discrete removal of pork from certain areas. It'll happen in no time at all.

28 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's a disgrace. But it's another reason to eat less meat.

I know Veganism had a bad name, but all animal slaughter is horrific to varying degrees, and you don't need to eat lots of meat (or any at all) to be healthy.

Mark my words, the next step will be the discrete removal of pork from certain areas. It'll happen in no time at all.

Strongly object to halal but not to regulated, stunned, animal slaughter

Ever been on the deck of a trawler ?

and to boot, fish isn't even farmed - no inputs, just removal

Farmed fish is the most destructive of all practices.

(I eat farmed and wild meat and fish, but not farmed fish)

Problem with animal slaughter is the numbers, you get desensitised in an abbattoir and while that's not an excuse, you stop seeing them as animals after number 10,001 has passed by. And slaughtermen probably don't recruit from graduates - although these days they might.....

Edited by Hopeful

7 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Strongly object to halal but not to regulated, stunned, animal slaughter

Ever been on the deck of a trawler ?

and to boot, fish isn't even farmed - no inputs, just removal

Problem with animal slaughter is the numbers, you get desensitised in an abbattoir and while that's not an excuse, you stop seeing them as animals after number 10,001 has passed by. And slaughtermen probably don't recruit from graduates - although these days they might.....

Farmed salmon is just nasty. Nothing like its Wild counterpart. It is also stuffed with chemicals due to the methods used breeding disease. 

14 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Agreed. When I said 'meat' I was including fish.

I'm not expecting anyone to lower their meat consumption - and I think the extreme SJW vegans are to blame for the bad image that Vegans/Vegetarians have. But I'd encourage everyone to watch the videos from the slaughterhouses and really think about it.

Edited by JoeDavola

Spunko has a good point. Slaughtering is not nice. My grandfather kept pigs. They used to be slaughtered in the "old fashioned way". Creep up behind them and slit their throat. Just what some people don't like. But I don't see that as any worse than a bullet in the head, or electrocution.There was nothing religious about it. For all you supermarket murderers out there, remember your food in the plastic packet supermarket once walked around and was alive. The pigs were not kept in pig prison and I guess what life they had was quite good.

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

Farmed salmon is just nasty. Nothing like its Wild counterpart. It is also stuffed with chemicals due to the methods used breeding disease. 

It's not just that..

It's the environmental damage fish farming causes harvesting oily fish like sandeels for food. The energy transfer is inefficient. It takes a lot more fish to grow a farmed fish than it does a wild fish.

Then if you consider Scottish and Norwegian salmon, it's the current scandalous plundering for wrasse 'cleaner fish'. The farms stock wrasse at density of 1:25 (wrasse:salmon). The wrasse are used to control sea lice. Wrasse are very territorial however and don't last long in the pens. There needs to be a continuous supply of wrasse. There is a large industry catching wild wrasse to supply the salmon farms. Annual catches of wild wrasse have increased from 2m to 22 million fish over the last decade, plundering our coastlines and elsewhere. Wrasse are currently being caught on England's south coast and transferred live up the motorway to Scotland.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/10/salmon-farmers-put-wild-wrasse-at-risk--sea-lice-scotland-anglers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40347779

Edited by Hopeful

9 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

It's not just that..

It's the environmental damage fish farming causes harvesting oily fish like sandeels for food. The energy transfer is inefficient. It takes a lot more fish to grow a farmed fish than it does a wild fish.

Then if you consider Scottish and Norwegian salmon, it's the current scandalous plundering for wrasse 'cleaner fish'. The farms stock wrasse at density of 1:25 (wrasse:salmon). The wrasse are used to control sea lice. Wrasse are very territorial however and don't last long in the pens. There needs to be a continuous supply of wrasse. There is a large industry catching wild wrasse to supply the salmon farms. Annual catches of wild wrasse have increased from 2m to 22 million fish over the last decade, plundering our coastlines and elsewhere. Wrasse are currently being caught on England's south coast and transferred live up the motorway to Scotland.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/10/salmon-farmers-put-wild-wrasse-at-risk--sea-lice-scotland-anglers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40347779

Cheers hopeful. 

And that's meant to be sustainable. Why not just look after the seas and rivers properly so that wild salmon thrive?  

On the subject of Halal.

Halal certification boss Mohamed Elmouelhy told his Facebook followers Australian women needed Muslim men to 'fertilise them' and 'keep them surrounded by Muslim babies'.

Mr Elmouelhy made the comment after Hebrew University in Jerusalem published research which showed sperm counts in men from Australia, New Zealand, North America and Europe had declined by more than 50 per cent in less than 40 years.

Mr Elmouelhy, who is the president of Halal Certification Authority, said Australia's white race 'will be extinct in another 40 years' if the country is 'left to bigots'. 

The Muslim businessman called on these 'bigots' to kill themselves or plan to die.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4735588/Muslim-businessman-says-Australia-s-white-race-die.html#ixzz4obLSOlZ7