Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Just that ^

I've seen beggars outside supermarkets (foreign (Romanian?) looking ones too), only noticed them over the last few days, pretty sure there weren't any about for ages.

This is in Edinburgh btw, have you noticed the lack of, and now reappearance of street beggars?

Yes, funnily enough saw my first one since lockdown yesterday! He was English and I immediately suspected professional beggar, certainly too well turned out to be proper homeless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

That's a great point Carl.

My daily walk during all this passes ground zero for Romanian beggers and they had all fucked off when this kicked off. Still see Romanian families about but just not the usual beggars in their 'spots'.

Im not exaggerating, and Im being honest, when I was out n about walking during the first month of the virus, Id say that well over 50% of the people I saw were groups of EErs mainly Balkans.

 

3 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Yes, funnily enough saw my first one since lockdown yesterday! He was English and I immediately suspected professional beggar, certainly too well turned out to be proper homeless.

Pro beggars tend to dress down.

Ive bumped into a couple  not wearing their 'work' clothes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Im not exaggerating, and Im being honest, when I was out n about walking during the first month of the virus, Id say that well over 50% of the people I saw were groups of EErs mainly Balkans.

 

Pro beggars tend to dress down.

Ive bumped into a couple  not wearing their 'work' clothes.

 

Nah - this guy was way to clean. The genuine homeless ones near me all have at least six months of grime layered in their skin and you can nearly guess the substance type they are abusing just from looking at them, you can't fake that.

You also see the same people in doorways late at night when everyone else is done for the evening. I think they are still being provided shelter in hotels but I can't find any articles definitively saying when that type of thing is ending. I would imagine this varies depending on local authorities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Nah - this guy was way to clean. The genuine homeless ones near me all have at least six months of grime layered in their skin and you can nearly guess the substance type they are abusing just from looking at them, you can't fake that.

You also see the same people in doorways late at night when everyone else is done for the evening. I think they are still being provided shelter in hotels but I can't find any articles definitively saying when that type of thing is ending. I would imagine this varies depending on local authorities.

They feed them, put them in hotels,  give them new clothes...   

Why would they be dirty?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only British street beggars should be given a donation to get them their four cans of Special Brew and a bottle of White Lightning. 

They at least will have the breeding and good manners to fuck off and hide in a park somewhere once they've got their booze...

 

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They feed them, put them in hotels,  give them new clothes...   

Why would they be dirty?

I don't know if they are still being put up though, that's the thing.

Be interesting to know what provision is being made or if they really are just going to be booted back out on to the streets

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I don't know if they are still being put up though, that's the thing.

Be interesting to know what provision is being made or if they really are just going to be booted back out on to the streets

They are after Christmas.
I can't imagine going in a hotel after it's had dozens of hobos living in it.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to visit a hotel for work recently. A branch of a major budget chain. Housing temporary guests, the homeless.

Local council had extra funding centrally to put up homeless at the start of lockdown. It was staffed by non hotel staff bar the odd maintenance person.

The place looked clean although clearly I hadnt gone in every room.

After that I noticed the BBC posting this article, that this scheme and cash were finishing in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52915913

I have noticed a return of homeless although some further out in the suburbs..a few chronic types..presumably housed away from the centre.

Also at traffic junctions...just sat there.

Edited by The Grey Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Just that ^

I've seen beggars outside supermarkets (foreign (Romanian?) looking ones too), only noticed them over the last few days, pretty sure there weren't any about for ages.

This is in Edinburgh btw, have you noticed the lack of, and now reappearance of street beggars?

If people weren’t stupid enough to give them money, they would fuck off. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dgul said:

I wonder what the average 'self employed' Big Issue seller has been claiming for lost earnings...

With any luck, very little. 

I think self employed could only get a certain amount of what they paid on Self Assessment, so if they put that too low, it came back to bite them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...