DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Hi folks,

for computing at school my daughter needs visual basic 2010, I failed to get it 11 weeks ago and ever since she's been writing code out by hand.

I've had another look and can't seem to find it, or an alternative anywhere. Any techies able to assist in pointing me in the right direction?

Thnx

2 minutes ago, Soft lad said:

you might be able to download it here.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/

I was never a VB but looks good to me.

If it doesn't work then 

http://moiprogrammy.com/microsoft-visual-basic/2010/

Click on the green button "скачать"

You'll need a torrent client. If you don't know what that is I am sure someone here can help you out.

So, not only are they teaching an inappropriate language (VB isn't a 'technically nice' language and will introduce bad habits), but they're teaching the 10-year-old variant.

IMO children should be taught very simple assembly language coding (to understand what a computer is), possibly a touch of C (because that's the only higher language where, for simple examples, you can really see how the compiler takes code and turns it into machine language) and then mainly Python (because it is actually a rather good teaching language).

Once you can code*, actually transferring the core skills to a new language is pretty easy.

[Schools do this all the time.  They teach 'MS Office' because it is what's in the workplace, but really they should teach Google Docs because it is free, uses generic skills that are the same as MS Office, and includes at a core level collaborative stuff that'll actually be what's used in the workplace by the time kids enter the workforce.  Education seems to be always backwards, not forwards, looking.  Eg, in my time it was four-figure-tables, even though pocket calculators (by then pretty cheap) were clearly going to make the skill of using logs for multiplying (etc) obsolete]

[* Well, code a procedural/structured/Von Neumann language -- LISP, Forth etc are different]

Edited by dgul
4 hours ago, dgul said:

So, not only are they teaching an inappropriate language (VB isn't a 'technically nice' language and will introduce bad habits), but they're teaching the 10-year-old variant.

IMO children should be taught very simple assembly language coding (to understand what a computer is), possibly a touch of C (because that's the only higher language where, for simple examples, you can really see how the compiler takes code and turns it into machine language) and then mainly Python (because it is actually a rather good teaching language).

Once you can code*, actually transferring the core skills to a new language is pretty easy.

[Schools do this all the time.  They teach 'MS Office' because it is what's in the workplace, but really they should teach Google Docs because it is free, uses generic skills that are the same as MS Office, and includes at a core level collaborative stuff that'll actually be what's used in the workplace by the time kids enter the workforce.  Education seems to be always backwards, not forwards, looking.  Eg, in my time it was four-figure-tables, even though pocket calculators (by then pretty cheap) were clearly going to make the skill of using logs for multiplying (etc) obsolete]

[* Well, code a procedural/structured/Von Neumann language -- LISP, Forth etc are different]

You don’t need a computer at all to learn the basics of programming logic.  My training course started using pen and paper to write simple pseudo code algorithms to perform tasks such as making a cup of tea, running items through a supermarket checkout or programming a robot mouse through a maze . Only once we had grasped the basic structures were we taught a specific language.

Edited by Virgil Caine
On 21/06/2020 at 11:52, highbot said:

They definitely shouldn't be using Microsoft in education, particularly when large parts of the computing industry is built on free software.  A lot of teachers and support staff in education are extremely hostile towards free software though.

Schools have tried to change direction of the oil tanker away from ICT (i.e. how to use Word) towards Computing (i.e. coding) in the last ten years. The problems are that most teachers can't code and most students don't care about coding, and in the end they come out the other end not very good at either.

The UK could have been world leaders in tech, but instead we sold it all off and now have Amazon, Google, Apple and the rest reaching $1 trillion+ valuations and all time highs on the Nasdaq and paying fuck all tax.