• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone seen this film? 

I was a veggie for 10 years or so till my early 20s, watching this has pretty much persuaded me to go back to it.

I'm in my mid 40s, I struggle to do sports now due to endless niggling injuries, I think diet is probably a big contributor to how we age. Anyway, I'll report back in a few months if it makes any difference 

44 minutes ago, One percent said:

Go for it. It leaves more meat for us carnivores.  The virtue signallers want nothing more than to have us all on a diet of grass.  

Hopefully I'll be the one laughing 

58 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Anyone seen this film? 

I was a veggie for 10 years or so till my early 20s, watching this has pretty much persuaded me to go back to it.

I'm in my mid 40s, I struggle to do sports now due to endless niggling injuries, I think diet is probably a big contributor to how we age. Anyway, I'll report back in a few months if it makes any difference 

Who made this and what do they want to sell you ? 

Pure Netflix propoganda bullshit. 

I've never watched it so when you do let me know. Aside from giving random examples of vegan athletes doing well do they give overall stats of top non vegan athletes Vs top vegan athletes ? 

I'm guessing it's somewhere near 99.999% non vegan athletes or thereabouts. 

Just food for thought. :D

1 hour ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Anyone seen this film? 

Been through that at about the same age. Fast twice a week and start regular active yoga. The injuries will vanish. My mates were a bit pissed off though, they were getting close to me at tennis before that.

45 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Been through that at about the same age. Fast twice a week and start regular active yoga. The injuries will vanish. My mates were a bit pissed off though, they were getting close to me at tennis before that.

How long do you fast for?

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Who made this and what do they want to sell you ? 

Pure Netflix propoganda bullshit. 

I've never watched it so when you do let me know. Aside from giving random examples of vegan athletes doing well do they give overall stats of top non vegan athletes Vs top vegan athletes ? 

I'm guessing it's somewhere near 99.999% non vegan athletes or thereabouts. 

Just food for thought. :D

Don't think they're selling anything other than a film. They follow some athletes at the top of their field, eg world's strongest man, simply to show that being a veggie doesn't mean you can't be strong and fit, which is clearly true. I found it quite convincing, but I've only just watched it and the feeling may fade. 

8 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Don't think they're selling anything other than a film. They follow some athletes at the top of their field, eg world's strongest man, simply to show that being a veggie doesn't mean you can't be strong and fit, which is clearly true. I found it quite convincing, but I've only just watched it and the feeling may fade. 

I think I've been told the director Cameron is into a company that is full into selling vegan stuff. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

How long do you fast for?

24 hrs. Big breakfast then nothing except water, tea(no milk) until following breakfast. Drink constantly and don’t avoid exercise on fast days, it actually helps and makes the fasting easier. 

Edit :- I daresay veggie or vegan diet would also help with inflammation and sports injuries but just pointing out there is an alternative. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

24 hrs. Big breakfast then nothing except water, tea(no milk) until following breakfast. Drink constantly and don’t avoid exercise on fast days, it actually helps and makes the fasting easier. 

Edit :- I daresay veggie or vegan diet would also help with inflammation and sports injuries but just pointing out there is an alternative. 

I effectively '24 hour fast' 7 days a week.

Don't have traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner at traditional times of the day, just one main meal usually mid afternoon and only ever drink water all the time.

I never feel particularly hungry in between my one main meal but on the rare occasion I do have a morning snack like a sandwich or wrap that just seems to trigger my appetite and make me feel more hungry than before I ate it.

Posted (edited)

Best of luck to you.

If you have a lot of weight to lose then a plant based vegan diet of unprocessed foods will make it fall off. Your cholesterol numbers will plummet too.

You might get too thin though at which point some dairy/high quality meat might be needed.

Also - google John McDougall and Michael Greger - Male sure to find recent videos of them - these are two of the most prolific vegans - do they look radically healthier than your average 70 and 45 year old respectively?

Edited by JoeDavola

8 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I had no idea you fasted twice a week. Very smart idea if you can manage it without excessive weight loss or feeling awful.

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I had no idea you fasted twice a week. Very smart idea if you can manage it without excessive weight loss or feeling awful.

Actually I don't, Joe, at the moment, as I have difficulty doing this at home - I do it when working away in France in the week which I haven't done since February due to the lockdown. At home the best I can manage is the occasional lunchtime to lunchtime fast. Excessive weight loss is not a problem for me - as I've mentioned, you and I need to swap diets for a month or so.

11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Also - google John McDougall and Michael Greger - Male sure to find recent videos of them - these are two of the most prolific vegans - do they look radically healthier than your average 70 and 45 year old respectively?

Age 73 and 47 now - certainly the older one looks a lot better than my dad who's the same age. You might enjoy the film Joe given your interest in diet and health, I realise that it's just presenting one side, but definitely interesting.

When I was veggie and for a few years after I always looked very young for my age, which just made me look a bit odd as I also went bald very young. More importantly though I was very fit and healthy, obviously mainly due to being young, but it would be interesting to find out if I can get some of that back. 

11 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Anyone seen this film? 

Will be interested to hear how it goes. 

What type of injuries are you getting ? 

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Will be interested to hear how it goes. 

What type of injuries are you getting ? 

Ligaments I think, just general wear and tear and taking forever to heal - twisted my knee and it took over a year to get better, then immediately got plantar fasciitis (bad foot) which I've had for a year now. I used to do loads of running, it's frustrating being unable to do much so definitely worth making the change if it does work.

I'd like to pretend it was on moral grounds but I'm a selfish bastard like everyone else, and really it's just to see if it's healthier for me. I'll try to remember to update in a few months if there's any difference.

Just now, AlfredTheLittle said:

Ligaments I think, just general wear and tear and taking forever to heal - twisted my knee and it took over a year to get better, then immediately got plantar fasciitis (bad foot) which I've had for a year now. I used to do loads of running, it's frustrating being unable to do much so definitely worth making the change if it does work.

I'd like to pretend it was on moral grounds but I'm a selfish bastard like everyone else, and really it's just to see if it's healthier for me. I'll try to remember to update in a few months if there's any difference.

You seem open to new ideas so maybe give the more "natural" running style a try - if you haven't already ?

I did it years ago after constant niggles and giving up running. 

Now I run loads and virtually Injury free. 

Plenty of info online. Barefoot style running but you don't have to be barefoot. 

It's all the rage with vegans too actually :D

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

You seem open to new ideas so maybe give the more "natural" running style a try - if you haven't already ?

I did it years ago after constant niggles and giving up running. 

Now I run loads and virtually Injury free. 

Plenty of info online. Barefoot style running but you don't have to be barefoot. 

It's all the rage with vegans too actually :D

That was what started all my problems a few years ago! I read the book (can't remember what it's called anymore) and got some ultra light flat trainers. Briefly did some great times in them, but I'm pretty sure that's what's caused the foot problems I have now at least 😁 (though a lot of people say, like you, that it's worked, so may just be coincidence the injuries starting around the same time)

13 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

That was what started all my problems a few years ago! I read the book (can't remember what it's called anymore) and got some ultra light flat trainers. Briefly did some great times in them, but I'm pretty sure that's what's caused the foot problems I have now at least 😁 (though a lot of people say, like you, that it's worked, so may just be coincidence the injuries starting around the same time)

That's interesting. How did you transition to the new style ? Lots of folk do it too fast and most get injuries. I started from scratch - literally 500m runs to begin with. Them built up to 5k over about 6-9 months If I remember right. 

It's a slow process but worked amazing for me. 8-10 years now for me or there abouts. 

23 minutes ago, ccc said:

That's interesting. How did you transition to the new style ? Lots of folk do it too fast and most get injuries. I started from scratch - literally 500m runs to begin with. Them built up to 5k over about 6-9 months If I remember right. 

It's a slow process but worked amazing for me. 8-10 years now for me or there abouts. 

Definitely went too fast - just put the new trainers on and carried on as usual, so that would explain why it didn't work for me 😁 

That's a good point about going slow, and would explain why some people like you have great results and others like me have the opposite.....

2 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

You might enjoy the film Joe given your interest in diet and health, I realise that it's just presenting one side, but definitely interesting.

Oh I've seen it, I knew all the info in it years beforehand and was practically vegan myself for a while.

I still believe that mostly plant based with a little bit of high quality meat (mainly fish) will probably be the healthiest diet.

But I also think that most of the benefits can probably be had by removing all the processed crap and getting your weight/body fat percentage down to a healthy level.

I could completely nerd-out on nutrition but I'll spare you the details. No harm in trying veganism for a few months and see how you feel.

5 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Definitely went too fast - just put the new trainers on and carried on as usual, so that would explain why it didn't work for me 😁 

That's a good point about going slow, and would explain why some people like you have great results and others like me have the opposite.....

Give it another go then. You are at zero now so perfect time to start with literally baby steps. :Old:

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Oh I've seen it, I knew all the info in it years beforehand and was practically vegan myself for a while.

I still believe that mostly plant based with a little bit of high quality meat (mainly fish) will probably be the healthiest diet.

But I also think that most of the benefits can probably be had by removing all the processed crap and getting your weight/body fat percentage down to a healthy level.

I could completely nerd-out on nutrition but I'll spare you the details. No harm in trying veganism for a few months and see how you feel.

I would probably agree with this but I fucking love meat. 

6 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

@ccc also has to keep fit for all that dancing he does when he's working:

1 minute ago, ccc said:

I would probably agree with this but I fucking love meat. 

Aye and to be honest I think even eating a decent amount of meat with healtheir stuff on the side i.e. veg rather than donuts will leave you much healther than the average UK blob.