DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

2 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Android users: Settings > Google Settings. 

IPhone Users: Settings > Privacy > Health

What do you see? 

iPhone 4s iOS 9.3.5 - Blank grey screen. Apps that have requested access to your health data will appear here.

2 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Sneaky. 

Bluetooth is never on. Location briefly when needing exact street but I dont use for overall navigation.

Requires the third bit of an APP. It reads as though there will be more than a singular app to link in.

It's stuff google has on you anyway. They are just selling it to the NHS.

Interestingly...

The companies have also explicitly barred use of the API in any apps that also seek geolocation information permission from users — which means some apps being developed by public health authorities for contact tracing that use geolocation data won’t be able to access the exposure notification API. That has prompted some to reconsider their existing approach.

Apple and Google provided the following joint statement about the API and how it will support contact-tracing efforts undertaken by public health officials and agencies:

One of the most effective techniques that public health officials have used during outbreaks is called contact tracing. Through this approach, public health officials contact, test, treat and advise people who may have been exposed to an affected person. One new element of contact tracing is Exposure Notifications: using privacy-preserving digital technology to tell someone they may have been exposed to the virus. Exposure Notification has the specific goal of rapid notification, which is especially important to slowing the spread of the disease with a virus that can be spread asymptomatically.

To help, Apple and Google cooperated to build Exposure Notifications technology that will enable apps created by public health agencies to work more accurately, reliably and effectively across both Android  phones and iPhones. Over the last several weeks, our two companies have worked together, reaching out to public health officials scientists, privacy groups and government leaders all over the world to get their input and guidance.

Starting today, our Exposure Notifications technology is available to public health agencies on both iOS and Android. What we’ve built is not an app — rather public health agencies will incorporate the API into their own apps that people install. Our technology is designed to make these apps work better. Each user gets to decide whether or not to opt-in to Exposure Notifications; the system does not collect or use location from the device; and if a person is diagnosed with COVID-19, it is up to them whether or not to report that in the public health app. User adoption is key to success and we believe that these strong privacy protections are also the best way to encourage use of these apps.

Today, this technology is in the hands of public health agencies across the world who will take the lead and we will continue to support their efforts.

Google bad.... government even badder! xD

I just went through individual google apps.

Movies..games..music..all have individual permissions for location.

Why is this when I had the main google account setting off?  They were on within the individual apps.

I know dumb question.

Edited by The Grey Man
58 minutes ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

No google settings in my android settings ;)

On mine it's "Settings"->"Google (Services & preferences)"

Brings up a "COVID-19 exposure notifications" option up I never knew was there.

I've not updated the phone since March so that'll have been pushed automatically.

This is being blown out of proportion. Your device has updated and it has a new API which allows decentralised tracking of COVID carriers.

You didn’t have to consent to install this update. If you installed it blindly, it’s your fault, and if you have auto updates, it’s definitely your fault. Both google and Apple put this in the release notes of the update. 

But the takeaway is that it’s an API.  Nothing has been forced on your phone to leverage it.

Every version of Android and iOS introduces new APIs, for things like media playback, keyboard functionality etc. The difference is this API is publicly configurable and everyone has thrown a shit fit about it unnecessarily. 

6 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

This is being blown out of proportion. Your device has updated and it has a new API which allows decentralised tracking of COVID carriers.

You didn’t have to consent to install this update. If you installed it blindly, it’s your fault, and if you have auto updates, it’s definitely your fault. Both google and Apple put this in the release notes of the update. 

But the takeaway is that it’s an API.  Nothing has been forced on your phone to leverage it.

Every version of Android and iOS introduces new APIs, for things like media playback, keyboard functionality etc. The difference is this API is publicly configurable and everyone has thrown a shit fit about it unnecessarily. 

Yes Dad.

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Is there such a thing as a tat-free phone nowadays?

For users such as myself that want a phone that does calls / text, has a camera, music player and rarely uses web and location based stuff I would suggest buying a new old stock phone that LineageOS has written a custom rom for (there are currently over 90 models). My experience has been an AOSP phone that works reliably without being cluttered up with google drivel. I've never bothered testing things like sat nav but could well imagine it works fine. The open source apps from fdroid seem fine. It's free, but I would pay extra for google free android such as LineageOS in preference over normal android with the layer of google nonsense on top because it gets rid of the unwanted google services activity, nagging, has a cleaner UI without all the unwanted apps runs reliably and has considerably better battery life.