DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Seems it’s one excuse to spend money is so your kids get defining moments in there lives ie memories in spite of all the holidays I got took on in England mine are falling of my chopper and geting 4 stitches in my chin I mean real stitches not this glue shit geting a boil lanced ouch I’ve had shit loads of holidays has a kid in the uk but they all blend into one .the one exception was when a kid fell off a slide about 12 foot up

and faceplanted I still remember that to this day so do holidays make defing moments or not 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those "kids defining memories" have more to do with what mum can post on Facebook than what the kid remembers.

Standard holidays are so cosseted that they have so many similarities between them such that the actual destination or destinations matter no more than the rotation of photographs on the Windows sign

We went to Spain when I was a kid. The only foreign holiday we had. I don’t remember any of it. 

40 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Standard holidays are so cosseted that they have so many similarities between them such that the actual destination or destinations matter no more than the rotation of photographs on the Windows sign on screen.

Yep..  especially package holidays..  but now we have kids I can see why people do them.

Clean beach, pool with toys and water features,  sun,   buffet hot food and cold drinks available on demand any time of day,  entertainment..   the kids may not remember it,  but they enjoy it and look forward to it..   especially because we often team up with my sister and her kids so it’s like a big family adventure.

As a single person or a couple I couldn’t think of anything worse for a holiday..  but with small kids,  all the things you’d like to do are a logistical nightmare and the kids would hate it anyway.

6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Seems it’s one excuse to spend money is so your kids get defining moments in there lives ie memories in spite of all the holidays I got took on in England mine are falling of my chopper and geting 4 stitches in my chin I mean real stitches not this glue shit geting a boil lanced ouch I’ve had shit loads of holidays has a kid in the uk but they all blend into one .the one exception was when a kid fell off a slide about 12 foot up

and faceplanted I still remember that to this day so do holidays make defing moments or not 

I remember the look on the face of the girl who stopped as I was picking myself off the floor. She looked somewhat horrified, wondered why, then realised as I looked down at my T shirt which was covered in a stream of blood.

Had 6 in mine. Only kid in the class with albeit whispy beard in junior school.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Yep..  especially package holidays..  but now we have kids I can see why people do them.

Clean beach, pool with toys and water features,  sun,   buffet hot food and cold drinks available on demand any time of day,  entertainment..   the kids may not remember it,  but they enjoy it and look forward to it..   especially because we often team up with my sister and her kids so it’s like a big family adventure.

As a single person or a couple I couldn’t think of anything worse for a holiday..  but with small kids,  all the things you’d like to do are a logistical nightmare and the kids would hate it anyway.

I think it all depends on what level of control you like to have, and also how much personal responsibility you want to take.

I have been going through my memory bank, and in over 40 trips with our kids, I don't think we have ever stayed in an hotel, and we have never had flights and accommodation booked together.

2 hours ago, chicker said:

Btw went to different Butlins. Bognor, Clacton, Barry , Pwheli -  we were cosmopolitan!

Oh, yes I remember Clacton. Butlins was great for kids, but I don't think it was much of a holiday for my parents.

16 minutes ago, chicker said:

I think it was ok for parents. They had patrols which alerted Mum and Dad that their kids were crying whilst they in the cinema, theatre or bar!

We went around the campus independently and met up at meal times.

Hmmmm. That didn't work out so well for the McCanns.

4 hours ago, GBDamo said:

Those "kids defining memories" have more to do with what mum can post on Facebook than what the kid remembers.

The advert for Portal goes on about "memories that will be instilled in their hearts forever". It's only a surveillance device FFS.

6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

60/70s different times. There was still trust in our fellow man. 

Btw was going to mention them but something not right there to my mind.

I didn't have a family holiday as a child.  I was sent to my grandparents every summer, but that was it.

I don't really have memories of anything before the age of about 10, and beyond that it was just normal life stuff, and certainly no 'set up memories' doing a specific fancy thing as you'd get on a holiday.

I eventually had my first 'conventional holiday' when I was 20.  I found it a rather weird experience.

I had my fourth and last 'conventional holiday' when I was about 30 (and that was under duress from family).

I did work abroad for a long period in a 'holiday country' -- after those years of observations of people on holiday, I eventually decided that the majority of people don't actually like being on holiday very much, but are brainwashed into thinking that they do like them and are too dim* to have worked out that they're unhappy while they're there. 

[* to be fair, it is possible many know they're not happy on holiday, but don't want to say as it would spoil their family's holiday -- thus everyone pretends to be happy even though if they all came clean they'd work out that they're all hating it.]

13 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Arguably:

In the olden days people who wanted to muck about with children simply got married and had children, or got a job in social services, teaching or the church.  Since the point where we started telling children that being mucked about with is bad and that it is okay to tell someone about it (and believing them), that route has been stopped and those who have relevant 'irresistible urges' have to take far more despicable routes.

That said, 'children going missing' has always happened (one of my wife's childhood friends was abducted and spent weeks being abused -- not sure she's had a 'normal life' since) and it is very unlikely -- so perhaps the net gain is 'much less child abuse' with very very little increase in 'truly horrific'.

14 minutes ago, eight said:

The advert for Portal goes on about "memories that will be instilled in their hearts forever". It's only a surveillance device FFS.

Pleasantly, at this stage Portal is spectacularly unsuccessful.

9 hours ago, stokiescum said:

:Jumping:

4 hours ago, chicker said:

First 14 years of my life went to Butlins every summer. Loved it . Snooker, table tennis, swimming, football, dodgems etc etc.

15th  year went to Padstow when it was still quaint. 

Btw went to different Butlins. Bognor, Clacton, Barry , Pwheli -  we were cosmopolitan!

We did the Minehead Butlins in 84 in the old fellas Morris Minor from Manchester.. great times

56 minutes ago, dgul said:

That said, 'children going missing' has always happened (one of my wife's childhood friends was abducted and spent weeks being abused -- not sure she's had a 'normal life' since) and it is very unlikely -- so perhaps the net gain is 'much less child abuse' with very very little increase in 'truly horrific'.

I imagine some Rotherham parents may beg to differ.

First half till my early teens was at my grandparents. Falmouth first then Blackpool. Not sure of the reasoning behind that move.

Father earned extra cash then after work and we relocated hols to Dorset. First family hol all together. Loved Dorset to the point in my mid twenties I applied for a job in Bournemouth. I understand parts have now gone the Blackpool way?

Its was a Butlins style camp. Nice static caravan. My parents were always annoyed their three sons were miserable toads and didnt do the group activities with other kids. Too busy climbing into farmland exploring.

I then slowly turned into a travel snob and havent done a package holiday bar once. Majorca before the start of the season and we were blessed with the arrival of spring.

Mind I know its what many can just afford.

Plenty of memories but little courtesy of a travel agent.

Edited by The Grey Man
4 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

First half till my early teens was at my grandparents. Falmouth first then Blackpool. Not sure of the reasoning behind that move.

Ah the sea. Always in my dreams during my fake naval career. Fish makes brains, alllegedly, still, it's something we all "know". Now if this is true, why did Britain's most famous universities situate themselves inland. OxBog, and CamBollox. They didn't want brains. They are a hotbed of communist spies and actors.