DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

In the dog house..

So I knocked over a glass of cordial and it’s gone in the wife’s business laptop which of course no longer switches on. 

I’m not flavour of the month right now, thankfully she knows me well enough to store all her files on the cloud.

It is/was a Yoga 520 if anyone has any suggestions, can it be salvaged?

My idea of selling it on eBay for spares and forking out for a new one, isn’t apparently the best.

Also I’m now in the market for a protective waterproof laptop cover that doesn’t interfere with the fan (as it gets hot down here) if such a thing exists..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My desktop PSU popped recently after nearly 10 years, I opened it up for a quick look to see if I could spot anything obviously wrong. Nope. Total mystery what happened to it.   e

hope she got you a replacement for the spilt cordial

You got something sticky on your wife's laptop keyboard? Saying it was cordial was quick thinking. I would advise destroying the hard drive. You know it is the only safe solution.  

Posted Images

Take the hard drive out and clone it (if she had any data that she wanted).

But for the damage itself, has it been connected since to power supply? Never ‘test’ a device that’s had liquid spilt on it by turning it on.

Let it dry out (in rice if need be) and then assess the damage in a day or so. Boards and connectors can be cleaned of any residue using isopropyl alcohol or electronic contact cleaner. 

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

So I knocked over a glass of cordial and it’s gone in the wife’s business laptop which of course no longer switches on. 

I’m not flavour of the month right now, thankfully she knows me well enough to store all her files on the cloud.

It is/was a Yoga 520 if anyone has any suggestions, can it be salvaged?

My idea of selling it on eBay for spares and forking out for a new one, isn’t apparently the best.

Also I’m now in the market for a protective waterproof laptop cover that doesn’t interfere with the fan (as it gets hot down here) if such a thing exists..

Get work to replace it, putting their equipment in your domestic environment is their choice and their risk.

That is unless she shouldn't have taken it home.

I expect it’s not the first time someone would have done this in your work. Not sure what I would do. Probably immediately raise an It ticket (somehow from phone email) and tell my boss. Company should manage the risk

I did similar to a home unit with a tiny spill  but lucky only lost about 20 keys on the keyboard. I use a Bluetooth keyboard now. If I needed to get into the bios or had a bit locker thing I might be buggered though

Edited by Ash4781b

It's her own business so buck stops here. We tried turning it on several times, nothing. The charging light comes on. Not sure about taking it apart to spray it with the above alcohol cleaner but will have a look later, maybe there's a YT tutorial

Have spilt wine that didn't turn out well for an old laptop.  But a glass of water once completely over the laptop keys I managed to get working fine after completely drying out before switching on.

Iirc placing in a bag rice is one way to remove moisture.

Maybe the cordial was sugar free.. If not I think it's the dried up sugar that may impede any fix.

Unless very lucky and a thorough dry out fixes it then really needs doing properly.

The quick and dirty fix - rice trick and maybe forcing as much liquid out first with vac sucking at openings to draw air through as much as anything to dry out insides.

Proper job would be to take it for a strip down, and PCB ultrasonic clean and dry, if lucky no actually damage and burnout and back together again - could take it somewhere and ask for price just for this and quick visual for damage.

Otherwise repair of any burnt out parts.

There is no right answer, I've fixed some stuff really easily, others with no resolution and associated time / effort.

If the Yoga was more than a few years old then save drive that should be OK and initial idea might be the right one. vAll these devices have a somewhat limited lifespan, especially if like laptops they are moved around, they over time fill up with dust and crud, clogging airways, compromising the cooling, heat, water, mechanical damage will get them in the end.

9 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Unless very lucky and a thorough dry out fixes it then really needs doing properly.

The quick and dirty fix - rice trick and maybe forcing as much liquid out first with vac sucking at openings to draw air through as much as anything to dry out insides.

Proper job would be to take it for a strip down, and PCB ultrasonic clean and dry, if lucky no actually damage and burnout and back together again - could take it somewhere and ask for price just for this and quick visual for damage.

Otherwise repair of any burnt out parts.

There is no right answer, I've fixed some stuff really easily, others with no resolution and associated time / effort.

If the Yoga was more than a few years old then save drive that should be OK and initial idea might be the right one. vAll these devices have a somewhat limited lifespan, especially if like laptops they are moved around, they over time fill up with dust and crud, clogging airways, compromising the cooling, heat, water, mechanical damage will get them in the end.

Just noticed this - It's key to a good life

I open up all my laptops, desk tops, any peripheral with a cooling fan at least once every 2 years depending upon use in order to clean out the dust from the passive heat sinks, fans, vents etc.

I've ever understood why most people don't do this.

Long laptop life = good cooling IMO. Allways use my laptops on a home made stand if the GPUs are being used intensively. Just one of these.

Edited by Hopeful
1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Just noticed this - It's key to a good life

I open up all my laptops, desk tops, any peripheral with a cooling fan about every 2 years to clean out the dust from the passive heat sinks, fans, vents etc.

I've ever understood why most people don't do this.

One reason is they bought a Sony Vaio :CryBaby:  Nice laptop range, largely tainted by very slim passages that were nigh on impossible to clean and led to the early demise of many machines and when working more like having a waffle iron on your legs than a laptop.  

More generally, disposable items, most users only bargain on a few years before if fails anyway. Look at phones, 3 year or so cycle backed by software changes that encourage/necessitate that as well and contract purchase type arrangements.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

One reason is they bought a Sony Vaio :CryBaby:  Nice laptop range, largely tainted by very slim passages that were nigh on impossible to clean and led to the early demise of many machines and when working more like having a waffle iron on your legs than a laptop.  

More generally, disposable items, most users only bargain on a few years before if fails anyway. Look at phones, 3 year or so cycle backed by software changes that encourage/necessitate that as well and contract purchase type arrangements.

Ahh, iPhone 4s 2011, macbook air 2011, macbook pro 2011 and 2015, Mac pro 2008 x2,  Dell Vostro 260s x4 2012 (XP)

:Jumping:

All in regular use.

I often wonder what a new computer would be like. But I doubt I'd see sufficient benefit. (I don't do any gaming).

Oh, I forgot the Powermac mirrior door G4 2003 that still gets use about once a year for probably an hour or so.

Edited by Hopeful
14 minutes ago, Boglet said:

My desktop PSU popped recently after nearly 10 years, I opened it up for a quick look to see if I could spot anything obviously wrong.

Nope. Total mystery what happened to it.

edit: The issue here is that if you buy something decent like a Seasonic, with a 7 or 10 year warranty, you know it needs opening up and cleaning out once in a while, but to do so you need to break the warranty seal. What to do?

Buy a compressor.:D

30 minutes ago, Boglet said:

My desktop PSU popped recently after nearly 10 years, I opened it up for a quick look to see if I could spot anything obviously wrong.

Nope. Total mystery what happened to it.

IMG_20200510_162952.thumb.jpg.64924cfa1320791997f707c957f53839.jpg

edit: The issue here is that if you buy something decent like a Seasonic, with a 7 or 10 year warranty, you know it needs opening up and cleaning out once in a while, but to do so you need to break the warranty seal. What to do?

I'd break the seal, but I suppose an alternative would be to cover up all the holes so no dust can get in to start with.

10 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'd break the seal, but I suppose an alternative would be to cover up all the holes so no dust can get in to start with.

:D

Really nicely designed old equipment used to have a separate flap outside the intake of a forced air cooling fan for a filter element that could be easily removed and cleaned.

The design of conventional Laptops is basically flawed as the business end of the computer is under the keyboard which immediately makes it vulnerable to things like spills.  They are best used closed as base stations with the input and outputs directed to separate keyboards, mouse and monitor. No one should be working full time from home on a laptop because the ergonomics of the keyboard and screen are just awful.

2 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Have spilt wine that didn't turn out well for an old laptop.  But a glass of water once completely over the laptop keys I managed to get working fine after completely drying out before switching on.

Iirc placing in a bag rice is one way to remove moisture.

Maybe the cordial was sugar free.. If not I think it's the dried up sugar that may impede any fix.

Should dry out. But it has to be done patiently ie. don't start using a hairdryer which would do more damage than good.

5 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

You got something sticky on your wife's laptop keyboard?

Saying it was cordial was quick thinking.

I would advise destroying the hard drive. You know it is the only safe solution.