DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What is going on? Lockdown pretty much over and the shelves in Morrison's are starting to empty again, even with no panic buying. 

I can't shake the feeling there's something very, very wrong in the world right now, something really odd hanging around in the background but I've no idea what it is. Almost like we're at the 'return to normal' or 'dead cat bounce' stage - look at the irrational rise in the stockmarket over the past few weeks for an indication.

My only thought is this: stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. Because the next time this hits the supermarkets will be useless.

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be down to basic nationalistic hoarding combined with border restrictions. Despite the situation here being largely “normal” in that I get up, make breakfast, go to the office, go to the p

What is going on? Lockdown pretty much over and the shelves in Morrison's are starting to empty again, even with no panic buying.  I can't shake the feeling there's something very, very wrong in

I’ve been saying from the start that the JIT supply chain will be first to crumble. We have a prepper thread to prove that this is the hive mind of dosbods. Any dosbodder caught without supplies needs

Just now, Iamcynical said:

I've noticed a few non perishables missing from their spots on the shelves also.  Nothing drastic, but it's making me wonder what's going on also.

Pasta was almost out today, loads of veg looking decidedly thin on the ground too. 

They weren't completely out of anything, but it was all very sparse.

One other thing - zero social distancing going on in the store.

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Pasta was almost out today, loads of veg looking decidedly thin on the ground too. 

I don't socially distance in Aldi or Lidl because it's not really possible to do so.  I do in Sainsburys because they hardly allow anyone in the store !  I only go to Sainsburys late in the evening because there's always a queue outside when I go during the day, and therefore I just just drive home again.  If this is the 'new normal' then it's another reason to add to a growing list of why I'd rather be living somewhere else.

16 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Mrs. Eight reckons Lidl is fully back to normal. Probably just Morrisons being useless.

Watched some TV show about food supply chain. Big bakery factory and interview with boss where he said they normally did 50 types of bread but cut this well down to focus on keeping up supply of main sellers. 

2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Store managers walk a fine line between ‘zero availability’ ( empty place on shelf), and waste ( stuff running out of life). Both are KPIs. Generally they base ordering on last week’s sales, the weather forecast and seasonal events. Something as simple as more people coming to store can affect their KPIs. 

Morrisons delivery this morning - no potatoes at all, not even subs, no crisps, no subs, no bread rolls, no subs....... etc. etc.

The driver said they can't keep the shelves full, manic on deliveries and also manic in store.

I too think something is wrong that I can't identify.  I suspect it isn't just Morrisons.

And no bloody cakes.

Edited by jamanda
Important item missing
17 minutes ago, jamanda said:

Morrisons delivery this morning - no potatoes at all, not even subs, no crisps, no subs, no bread rolls, no subs....... etc. etc.

The driver said they can't keep the shelves full, manic on deliveries and also manic in store.

I too think something is wrong that I can't identify.  I suspect it isn't just Morrisons.

And no bloody cakes.

90 Million who don't want to go to overcrowded supermarkets

"Modern supply chains owe their existence to relative globalised stability to operate efficiently and achieve the lower costs that was the driving force of globalisation. Absent that and you are left with disjointed workforces, empty buildings that used to be factories, vilified foreigners associated with the collapse, broken supply chains and often smouldering remains resulting from the protests against all the above."

This.  This times twenty.  A few years ago now, I was advising my then employer about a proposal for some offshoring into India, and the sums added up (just about).  I then asked what the analysis was if, for example, a bust up happened between India and Pakistan or Iran/USA and the trade routes were disrupted.  There was no such analysis done.  Not even a basic risk assessment of probability x impact.  It was like I was talking in alien tongues even suggesting that stable global trade routes might not always be there.

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

This.  This times twenty.  A few years ago now, I was advising my then employer about a proposal for some offshoring into India, and the sums added up (just about).  I then asked what the analysis was if, for example, a bust up happened between India and Pakistan or Iran/USA and the trade routes were disrupted.  There was no such analysis done.  Not even a basic risk assessment of probability x impact.  It was like I was talking in alien tongues even suggesting that stable global trade routes might not always be there.

I've had very similar conversations. General response seems to be mouth breathing and rapid blinking.

4 hours ago, wherebee said:

"Modern supply chains owe their existence to relative globalised stability to operate efficiently and achieve the lower costs that was the driving force of globalisation. Absent that and you are left with disjointed workforces, empty buildings that used to be factories, vilified foreigners associated with the collapse, broken supply chains and often smouldering remains resulting from the protests against all the above."

It is because most people under a certain age have never experienced that type of disruption. The last time most people in the U.K. had to worry about shortages and supply disruption was the 1970s and there has been no serious issues since the 1950s.

9 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

It is because most people under a certain age have never experienced that type of disruption. The last time most people in the U.K. had to worry about shortages and supply disruption was the 1970s and there has been no serious issues since the 1950s.

I think that has all grown the mentality to "not prepare for a rainy day", that we see now throughout society.

Partly because of bailouts at the individual level.

We were in for a rainy day for sure,

But now, a monsoon is coming

How long will it be before people forget again?

Edited by Hopeful
18 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

What is going on? Lockdown pretty much over and the shelves in Morrison's are starting to empty again, even with no panic buying. 

I can't shake the feeling there's something very, very wrong in the world right now, something really odd hanging around in the background but I've no idea what it is. Almost like we're at the 'return to normal' or 'dead cat bounce' stage - look at the irrational rise in the stockmarket over the past few weeks for an indication.

My only thought is this: stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. Because the next time this hits the supermarkets will be useless.

Friend in Cheshire told me the Morrison place over there has has a covid outbreak. I assumed it was the meat processing plant in Winsford but maybe it was the distribution centre in Northwich. Tried a quick search but couldn't find it.

14 hours ago, One percent said:

I’ve been saying from the start that the JIT supply chain will be first to crumble. We have a prepper thread to prove that this is the hive mind of dosbods. Any dosbodder caught without supplies needs shooting. We knew this was coming. 

Why waste a bullet when they are going to starve anyway? Ammunition needs saving for the perps who will be coming to steal your food later on.