DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

why does it take so long?

My white van neighbour say is is the EU and that paint now has the consistency of watered down soy milk.

I had some white paint take 3 months to dry but even my 8 hour paint is taking 24-36 to dry enough to move the woodwork and that in 28C temperatures.

I'm not 100% certain it is the EU though, the "eco" no fumes water based varnish I'm using dries the quickest but the finish is dull.

Hd some paint that took weeks to go off.  Low VOC rules, progressively strict, external paints will have none of the lasting power based on what limited experience I've had, internal not so important but external is where it matters most.

Water based will always dry quicker than latex or oil based. As to whether a water-based white will still be white in a year's time... good question. Might be that 'orrible yellow colour due to EU rules. I buy the Johnstone's latex based white paints and they are touch dry within 6 hours or so normally.

Have a BMW R1200 and after 18 months the frame was starting to slow signs of corrosion.

BMWs answer is to regularly apply a protective spray, VOCs?

Ended up stripping the frame and repainting it with smooth hammerite. 9 years on and no rust.

Modern paint laws are the epitome of fake environmental concerns used to lower the life expectancy of a product = sell more product or sell ancillary products.

Edited by GBDamo
18 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Have a BMW R1200 and after 18 months the frame was starting to slow signs of corrosion.

BMWs answer is to regularly apply a protective spray, VOCs?

Ended up stripping the frame and repainting it with smooth hammerite. 9 years on and no rust.

Modern paint laws are the epitome of fake environmental concerns used to lower the life expectancy of a product = sell more product or sell ancillary products.

Which version?

44 minutes ago, spunko said:

Water based will always dry quicker than latex or oil based. As to whether a water-based white will still be white in a year's time... good question. Might be that 'orrible yellow colour due to EU rules. I buy the Johnstone's latex based white paints and they are touch dry within 6 hours or so normally.

Water based white gloss is non yellowing. It's actually the oil in oil based white paint that causes the yellowing.

Yes, 2010 volatile organic compounds  regs changed paint as we know it. Thanks EU. So now they put vegetable based oil in many gloss paints eg linseed oil which is why it tends to yellow. This may also get put in paint describing itself as water based,  these are known as hybrid paints in the trade.

For interior woodwork, ( also exterior obs. ) the best water based paint is Zinnser all coat exterior gloss or satin. 2 coats on previously painted wood and you are done, goes on good, use a synthetic bristle brush. Sticks to existing gloss work so no sanding required,  15 year warranty on exterior surfaces, non yellowing, minimal odour, reasonably quick to dry.  Think its made in Wolverhampton. Bit dearer than Dulux or Crown but well worth it. The finish is more of a semi-gloss than a EU satin which to my mind is rather matt, so its a superior finish. All water based is prone to brush marks though. You can mitigate that to some extent by adding Floetrol.

The other contender is Mythic Paint, its an American import created for painting out the Pentagon without circulating toxins through the air con. The stuff is brilliant for water based, 2 coats on bare wood and you are done, and its safe to drink if you are thirsty or a bit genetically challenged. Expensive and difficult to obtain now.

American paints are superior even the tins are better. Check out the Benjamin Moore website. Stockist is Slough based. They make the best emulsions.

Dulux is made by Azko Nobel and seems unpopular with many pros due to poor opacity,  colour inconsistency, and flashing, check Painters pitstop website for verification of this.  One or two dulux products can be good though including trade contract supermat white emulsion as a base coat, mist coat very good coverage. Their trade range badged up as Armstead is ok.