DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Camping..with a tent variety..this years holiday of choice.

This year was penned in for a camping year re hols.

For a holiday..in a tent..not the Frankie Howerd kind.

As I have been slaving away working my wife has taken the kids further afield for days out.

She says its busy. Often rural areas.

It looks like camping could be an option by the end of July.

My issue is every fucker under the sun will have the same idea. Too much for me. I also have the innate feeling to avoid crowds before the autumn arrives.

I want a break but just think its going to be a riot.

Abroad..no thanks. Better the devil I know.

I also imagine the real sticks..you name your area...will make city types like me feel as welcome as a dose of the clap..given their longer lockdown.

I would go if I knew I could get secluded but I seriously doubt it this summer.

12 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

This year was penned in for a camping year re hols.

For a holiday..in a tent..not the Frankie Howerd kind.

As I have been slaving away working my wife has taken the kids further afield for days out.

She says its busy. Often rural areas.

It looks like camping could be an option by the end of July.

My issue is every fucker under the sun will have the same idea. Too much for me. I also have the innate feeling to avoid crowds before the autumn arrives.

I want a break but just think its going to be a riot.

Abroad..no thanks. Better the devil I know.

I also imagine the real sticks..you name your area...will make city types like me feel as welcome as a dose of the clap..given their longer lockdown.

I would go if I knew I could get secluded but I seriously doubt it this summer.

Doesn’t the camping a caravan club have just basic fields I can’t see those being rammed out .ive a vested interest I’ve just bought a huge fuck off tent myself 

A955BB96-1796-4D8F-A43A-22F1AB85FB1A.png

17 minutes ago, muggle said:

You are free to set up camp anywhere in Dartmoor National Park or Scotland. But if you want to go camping anywhere else in the UK, you are confined to a campsite.

That's why converted vans have become so popular.

Camping "holiday style" requires paying a wad of cash to sit in a prebooked densely crowded field half filled with screaming kids and half filled with drunken pissheads. 

A converted van can be parked in any street or rural back road..  and if you get any hassle you can just drive 10 mins down the road.

On the other hand,  if you're single and happy to do it properly rural..  then with a bike and a bivi bag you can lie low in just about any farm field you like.  I guess it all depends what you want from your camping experience?

23 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Doesn’t the camping a caravan club have just basic fields I can’t see those being rammed out .ive a vested interest I’ve just bought a huge fuck off tent myself 

A955BB96-1796-4D8F-A43A-22F1AB85FB1A.png

Part of me thinks Farmer Giles could make a load..just needs to open up a few more fields.

As with you I just want and do the basics.

To be honest I am not bothered if its only a few miles away as long as its country side and somewhere for the kids to mess about.

I

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

That's why converted vans have become so popular.

Camping "holiday style" requires paying a wad of cash to sit in a prebooked densely crowded field half filled with screaming kids and half filled with drunken pissheads. 

A converted van can be parked in any street or rural back road..  and if you get any hassle you can just drive 10 mins down the road.

On the other hand,  if you're single and happy to do it properly rural..  then with a bike and a bivi bag you can lie low in just about any farm field you like.  I guess it all depends what you want from your camping experience?

I also have almost finished the bikes for this option to.

31 minutes ago, muggle said:

You are free to set up camp anywhere in Dartmoor National Park or Scotland. But if you want to go camping anywhere else in the UK, you are confined to a campsite. 

You are free to camp on your own private land of course. 

Alas a yard!

Posted (edited)

I should add I am not a newbie. I have the gear..its more..well I think demand will out strip supply this year.

And even without the virus factor, it seems demand has been increasing anyway this last few years.

The local Decathalon and other camping major..forgot name..biggie though..have been packed since they reopened.

Edited by The Grey Man

Generally speaking, regarding campsites, the more primitive the facilities the fewer campers and the lower the price.  

I don't understand why people want to go camping, yet want a shower block and kitchen.

[OTOH, my children might grow up to hate me]

4 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I should add I am not a newbie. I have the gear..its more..well I think demand will out strip supply this year.

I’m used to basic camping for one person no frills I’ve even slept under unimogs has recently has 2 years ago I just took

beans and beer ate out of tins but now im

takeing kids it’s gone a bit gay 

E59F5464-E64C-46E5-92D7-752F5F6EC7C0.png

7 minutes ago, lid said:

I would love to be able to do stuff like this. @Hopeful  what do you reckon?

I'd have a bash at this rather than join in  multi culti melee for the last chicken in Sainsbury's

Worms head the Gower ,do a bit of research regarding tides you can camp on the island if you keep a low profile same can be said for Burry Holmes the other end of Rhossili bay choose a big tide probably best late August or September another good place is Slade bay on the Gower there is also a campsite close by

Edit the beach in the video is Saunders foot ,New hedges campsite is right on that beach 

Edited by Long time lurking
15 minutes ago, lid said:

I would love to be able to do stuff like this. @Hopeful  what do you reckon?

I'd have a bash at this rather than join in  multi culti melee for the last chicken in Sainsbury's

All perfectly feasible. Plenty of food out there. Don't overlook decent roadkill Pheasant, rabbit, hares, pigeon, deer. Plants (sorrel, alexanders, beech leaves, hawthorn buds, wild garlic, nettles, dandelion etc. Fungi.

Personally I wouldn't use my hands in murky water for lobsters, that cutting claw would slice you to the bone. His brown crabs also looked undersize and I wouldn't keep spiders that small. Prawning and shrimping can be good. Hand net or baited prawn trap left overnight. Never take more than you need.

Edited by Hopeful
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I can sleep quite easily sat on a chair/bench or similar, my head falls to one side or forward but I din't fall over, have heard of people who can sleep stood up and there are some tails of this on forums.

I imagine if you choose the right spot you wouldnt even need a sleeping bag especially if you can do polyphasic sleep.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/sleeping-stood-up.190731/

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/advice-support/sleep-hub/sleep-matters/polyphasic-sleep/

At the risk of sounding like the Island Tourist board again, we might be a good option.

Loads of rural campsites, but ferry crossings are limited so I doubt the numbers arriving will be much higher than usual.

Prices will ramp up though. £200+ return isn't unusual.

Somewhere around Tapnell's farm on the West Wight would be great.

If there is an option to book a ferry now when prices are lower, and if it is fully refundable, I would seriously consider doing so as a reserve plan.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

At the risk of sounding like the Island Tourist board again, we might be a good option.

Loads of rural campsites, but ferry crossings are limited so I doubt the numbers arriving will be much higher than usual.

Prices will ramp up though. £200+ return isn't unusual.

Somewhere around Tapnell's farm on the West Wight would be great.

If there is an option to book a ferry now when prices are lower, and if it is fully refundable, I would seriously consider doing so as a reserve plan.

What happens to all the boats from the invasion flotilla crossing the Chanel?  Surely there must be loads kicking about for free.