DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Audible Sale - £3 Per Book

• spunko changed the title to Audible Sale - £3 Per Book
14 minutes ago, snaga said:

I listen to them when running or walking the dog. They are very enjoyable when you get the bug and don't have time to read for yourself.

Colleague had a Stephen King audiobook that was something like 56 hours long.

17 minutes ago, snaga said:

I listen to them when running or walking the dog. They are very enjoyable when you get the bug and don't have time to read for yourself.

Yup they’ve been a fantastic discovery. I never have the time or patience to sit and read a book but audiobooks keep me company when I’m exercising/cooking/housework. 

I think they’re great.

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Yup they’ve been a fantastic discovery. I never have the time or patience to sit and read a book but audiobooks keep me company when I’m exercising/cooking/housework. 

I think they’re great.

Interesting comment. I actually like reading a REAL BOOK, from words.:o

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Aye you wanna try it some time ;)

Well I used to listen to books read out on the radio in years past. Obviously reading a book whilst driving is difficult. I used to listen to Madam Boverie on the BBC World service as I drove back to Southampton on a Monday morning.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Interesting comment. I actually like reading a REAL BOOK, from words.:o

I like both -- an audiobook is a one-man* performance, c.f. sheet music vs playing soloist.

* I generally prefer the timbre of female voices but all my favourite audiobook narrations have been male.

6 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

What do you listen on, your phone? A few years back I got my mum an audible subscription but it turned out they weren't compatible with whatever she had so she never used it, which was a shame

iPhone app and a pair of Bluetooth headphones. App runs in the background when you lock the phone so uses up very little power.

I have a massive resistance to paying for anything intangible.

It genuinely seems like throwing money away because it feels like I get nothing for it.

I will happily buy a news paper for 50p; but subscribing to fifty issues of the same paper at 1p a shot for 50p feels like pissing money away for nothing.

It's not intellectual content it's rather physical product for which I will pay.

The abject failure of online news sources such as Buzzfeed suggests that mine is a commonly held view.

One doesn't pay owt for nowt.

49 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

I like both -- an audiobook is a one-man* performance, c.f. sheet music vs playing soloist.

* I generally prefer the timbre of female voices but all my favourite audiobook narrations have been male.

The narrator is as important as the book in the world of audio books. A crap delivery can kill even a  decent book while a quality delivery can elevate a story. Some narrators such as Martin Jarvis are simply outstanding.

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

The narrator is as important as the book in the world of audio books. A crap delivery can kill even a  decent book while a quality delivery can elevate a story. Some narrators such as Martin Jarvis are simply outstanding.

Agree 100% - I always preview the book as a bad narrator can ruin it.

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It genuinely seems like throwing money away because it feels like I get nothing for it.

I will happily buy a news paper for 50p; but subscribing to fifty issues of the same paper at 1p a shot for 50p feels like pissing money away for nothing.

Get your inner accountant to include the cost of physical space at £2000/sqm for a typical house.

Even when folded up, a newspaper takes up  0.2 sqm = £400 of surface area.,

After use, laid out full size, stacked 20 high in a recycling box is still ~£25 of surface area per paper.

A 100MB audio file when downloaded takes up 0.128% of my phone storage - £2.56 of surface area if my phone is laid horizontally.

Leave the file at Amazon and you haven't used any physical storage at all.

It's little exercises like this that made me realise that cheap crap from China is actually pretty expensive.

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Exactly. I feel the same. I would rather pay for the CD/DVD. Doesn't require any subscription service, and can't be taken away.

You still get to listen to any books you've bought even if you cancel your monthly subscription payment.

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

Exactly. I feel the same. I would rather pay for the CD/DVD. Doesn't require any subscription service, and can't be taken away.

18 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's not intellectual content it's rather physical product for which I will pay.

The abject failure of online news sources such as Buzzfeed suggests that mine is a commonly held view.

One doesn't pay owt for nowt.

Indeed, when the whole digital thing kicked off you thought to yourself.. hmm maybe I'd give up the joy of owning something in exchange for the obviously lower price given that retailers/publishers/music companies had been telling me how little profit the actually made due to physical production, shipping and retail overheads (all lovely displayed in pie charts to really ram it home).

Picking something at random...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Madness-Crowds-Gender-Race-Identity/dp/1472959957/ref=sr_1_1?crid=T5SGTTZJJKU4&dchild=1&keywords=madness+of+crowds&qid=1592927080&sprefix=madness+%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

Kindle Edition : 9.38

Paperback : 8.79

Audio Book : 17.49

If they were 1p a pop I might be inclined, maybe there are offers knocking about but a few at random per "edition"... The Times is 50p for digital only, FT is £1, Telegraph £3

In fairness to those, they are cheaper than the print editions.