DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Mine is way up too now it’s got warm and I have to run the air conditioning on weekdays. My gas bill is back to normal without the heating on though. On the upside my food spending is down - no more food court lunches - and, I would assume most people’s transport costs will be way down (not mine as I cycle to work).

4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just had m first ( last ) working from home Covid Electricity bill in.  Was approx double.

When will the whining start. will Marcus landlord insist what the poor pay for the pays electricity ?

Are you an aluminium smelter? I've been on video calls each day and running computer simulations, and I reckon I'm up on the deal, electricity-wise, just from reduced laundry.

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just had m first ( last ) working from home Covid Electricity bill in.  Was approx double.

When will the whining start. will Marcus landlord insist what the poor pay for the pays electricity ?

Surely offset against transport commuting costs? 

Last 30 days we have used £36 of electric and 66 pence of gas for a 4 bed house

14 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My leccy bill for May/June was 3x the previous months averages since Oct.

But is it winter here and we've had the heating on more due to being home and not out and about.

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Whatever mine ends up being it’s been totally worth it for no commute, even longer lie ins, and not having to listen to crap office banter.

Long may it continue.

The best bit is all the little five minutes chores can be done through the day rather than rushing around during two hours in the evening. Warm meals twice a day have been good too (although they'll be ending throughout this heatwave). 

17 minutes ago, Stuey said:

The best bit is all the little five minutes chores can be done through the day rather than rushing around during two hours in the evening. Warm meals twice a day have been good too (although they'll be ending throughout this heatwave). 

Yep that's a huge bonus as well. It's just an all round better way of working for a certain percentage of the population.

15 hours ago, wherebee said:

But is it winter here and we've had the heating on more due to being home and not out and about.

I've no clue if mine is higher or lower. Don't care much as its pretty cheap. £109 per month. Might check sometime if I can lower that by putting a reading or two in. 

For lots of reasons I wasnt arsed to change suppliers.

I chose to pay cash..or cheque...I was aware of a higher price.

The bill came in March. They are always gits and send it two weeks after the letter was typed. 

Due to the fact I was laid up struggling to breathe...I was late.by two days sending off.

I then had the shite of I havent paid and within days a baliff letter arrived. I wasnt well recovered at this point so my wife dealt with it.

I however  cancelled the cheque. Paid then direct. They were informed of the cheque and cancelling and I bloody knew they were slacking. Sure enough they cashed the cheque they alleged I never sent..then cancelled as I had instructed. They would have had me twice over.Got rid poste haste.

Should have done it as soon as I moved house 3 years ago. My bad as they say.

Shell energy...or First Utility.

So...my last joint bill was a third less than usual.

Lesson lesrnt. I then spent the next few weeks highlighting all the recurring bills notably insurance, to recheck.

All basics I used to do.

I got flabby and slack.

No more.

My time off has now been recovered in checking these payments.

My fault..I used to do...I hit lazy mode until Shell Energy gave me the anger I needed

Remember that 'energy costs going lower' is the argument the 'economists' use against the idea of coming inflation from all this stimulus. From what I've seen the lower costs are already reversing massively anyway...it wouldn't surprise me if we all get some sort of covid fuel allowance to cover it.

Edited by eta-carinae
11 hours ago, eta-carinae said:

Remember that 'energy costs going lower' is the argument the 'economists' use against the idea of coming inflation from all this stimulus. From what I've seen the lower costs are already reversing massively anyway...it wouldn't surprise me if we all get some sort of covid fuel allowance to cover it.

Oil is steadily climbing back up as traffic climbs back to normal.

image.thumb.png.8cb318be8689744cbf972686f5ecf7dd.png

36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oil is steadily climbing back up as traffic climbs back to normal.

image.thumb.png.8cb318be8689744cbf972686f5ecf7dd.png

Yep. So we've got oil significantly up. Online grocery shopping means I've got evidence of food prices going up over the last three months: eggs, fruit, veg, bread, to name a few. Stock market up, crypto up, precious metals up, and the problem is going to be deflation? They think we are mugs.

41 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Costs here have risen, but the combined leccy, gas and water for me is still less than the extortion tax i have to pay every month to get the bins emptied and the councillors pensions paid.

And to pay for the police, schools, adult social care, environmental health, old people's clubs, roads mended, drains emptied, town centres maintained, children's play areas, fly tipping removed, "travelers" moved on etc..

Property tax is one of the oldest and fairest taxes but it is in need of three reforms to make it really fair:

• Payable by the property owner, not the occupier, and cannot be passed on other than within general rental
  • Half a percent flat tax on all properties with no upper limit
  • Step increase on properties owned by single person, or group of companies, such that the rate rises to 0.75% for the second house, 1.0% for the third, 1.25% for the fourth etc.  Houses are ranked in ascending order of value so the cheapest has the 0.5% rate applied and so on.

Bring all of that in and the council tax on the average house will fall, the more expensive the house you choose to buy the more you pay, and second and third home, whether rented out or nor, will become an expensive luxury so freeing them up for people currnetly renting to buy.

On 23/06/2020 at 04:05, wherebee said:

Much of that maybe due to shitty Oz house build. Last house we rented in Perth was a drafty ice box in winter. This was fairly new build in a des res area. 

With our house in the UK which is well insulated working at home makes little difference to the daily heating demand as whats produced in the day just offsets what would be used in the evening.