Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Product awards - mostly bollocks?


Recommended Posts

I have noticed a lot of companies now proudly showing off their product awards as if it's some sort of league table. Is this a load of bollocks? I suspect so - with everything made in Chy-nah nowadays, companies are clamouring to differentiate themselves from the rest.

I have been looking into buying a mattress. The frankly excessive and bordering on laughable level of marketing shite in this niche has piqued my interest and set off my bullshit detector.  Here are the awards received for the Simba mattress (£500):

Screenshot_2020-06-22 The Simba Hybrid® Mattress.png

You would think therefore that this Simba mattress is completely different to all the other mattresses on the market ....... right? Not made in Castle Donnington, on the same factory and indeed the same production line where they also make: Eve mattresses, Leesa mattresses, Casper mattresses, IKEA mattresses. All 100% identical, except for the label (and marketing).  https://www.thebelfieldgroup.com/our-products/

How can a product that is literally 100% identical to 4-6  other products win so many awards? Surely they should all win.

I then stumbled upon the reason: all of these companies above charge shit loads of money to display their "awards". Some of them want £10k a year.

Another load of bullshit to watch out for - I notice Which? are the only ones not listed.

 

Edited by spunko
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - Total bollocks.

I would never buy a mattress that can be rolled up and posted (unless it was £25 and used for camping)

It's marketing spin and of course people love 'new' stuff and cute cuddly toys. 

Our mattress is traditionally sprung and so heavy that the removal firm specifically moaned about it when we moved.

It's 5 years old and is as comfy now as it was day one. It will probably last at least 15 years 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

But these mattresses like Simba etc.. They were developed... By...NASA!!

Haven't tried a memory foam one for a long time but years ago was pretty impressed.  Lots of proponents out there too.

 

The mattress I've got is nothing too extravagant, but definitely on that side for me.  It's a John Lewis orthopedic type thing, heavy but really keeps its form and supports.  I didn't buy it but since I like so much did price it up a few years ago and I think it was around £500-600.  Have since stuck a cheap thin memory mattress for a bit extra on top.  Really like it and would buy if I had too.  Can't remember the company but well known UK company iirc supplied at they time JL mattresses.

Yeah those awards seem dodgy as fuck.  I used to see those awards on the most asine crap... Cheap beer or whatever.  Reckon the lucky ones in the industry are the ones being in a position to create a Photoshop award and then sell on for £k/ display.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko said:

I have noticed a lot of companies now proudly showing off their product awards as if it's some sort of league table. Is this a load of bollocks? I suspect so - with everything made in Chy-nah nowadays, companies are clamouring to differentiate themselves from the rest.

I have been looking into buying a mattress. The frankly excessive and bordering on laughable level of marketing shite in this niche has piqued my interest and set off my bullshit detector.  Here are the awards received for the Simba mattress (£500):

Screenshot_2020-06-22 The Simba Hybrid® Mattress.png

You would think therefore that this Simba mattress is completely different to all the other mattresses on the market ....... right? Not made in Castle Donnington, on the same factory and indeed the same production line where they also make: Eve mattresses, Leesa mattresses, Casper mattresses, IKEA mattresses. All 100% identical, except for the label (and marketing).  https://www.thebelfieldgroup.com/our-products/

How can a product that is literally 100% identical to 4-6  other products win so many awards? Surely they should all win.

I then stumbled upon the reason: all of these companies above charge shit loads of money to display their "awards". Some of them want £10k a year.

Another load of bullshit to watch out for - I notice Which? are the only ones not listed.

 

My business won a local business award recently. I was asked if I'd like to take part. I filled in some details and won my catagory which was no suprise as I've got no competition locally.:S

Since they announced my 'suprise' award I've been asked if I'd like to purchase any of the packages. I can spend upwards of £500 for some pictures and gubbins put in their magazine of online. I opted for the free package, thank you very much. 

It's all bollox. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I've been asked if I'd like to purchase any of the packages. I can spend upwards of £500 for some pictures and gubbins put in their magazine of online. I opted for the free package,

Cheers. It's all bollox then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are regularly contacted by construction magazine outfits (hard copy and online versions). They do a write up on a completed project saying how brilliant it is but really they just want to sell advertising space to the consultants. Always decline and say that we don't need any extra work thank you very much. They can be very pushy though. Perhaps I should employ XYY Man as my intermediary?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many awards are bollx, its always worth asking yourself "where's the money angle?". I used to work for a building society, they put in for a new-fangled-project award for something they had started working on. The project was cancelled soon afterwards but they still got the award - for something that never happened !

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gilf said:

As you say the only one worth anything is Which? all the rest are effectively "paid" for in one way or another.

 

 

I'm suspicious of Which too.

The guy who owns ebac had a bit of a barney with them over the which review/methodology of testing washing machines.

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/which-review/

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boglet said:

We tried Simba, I found it meh, bit warmer than usual. Wife boiled and had to go and stand by the open window to cool off. Sent it back.

I wonder what happens to all those mattresses that are sent back.... The companies like to claim they donate them to charity... Bollocks!

Here in the UK they are, of course, sent to landfill or sent to India and burned.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/mattress-landfill-crisis-recycling-nightmare

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Dosbods approved!

You joke but I do think there's room in the market for a website that rates the wokeness or SJWness of movies, games, TV programmes etc. Low score = very woke, high score = not very PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spunko said:

I have noticed a lot of companies now proudly showing off their product awards as if it's some sort of league table. Is this a load of bollocks? I suspect so - with everything made in Chy-nah nowadays, companies are clamouring to differentiate themselves from the rest.

I have been looking into buying a mattress. The frankly excessive and bordering on laughable level of marketing shite in this niche has piqued my interest and set off my bullshit detector.  Here are the awards received for the Simba mattress (£500):

Screenshot_2020-06-22 The Simba Hybrid® Mattress.png

You would think therefore that this Simba mattress is completely different to all the other mattresses on the market ....... right? Not made in Castle Donnington, on the same factory and indeed the same production line where they also make: Eve mattresses, Leesa mattresses, Casper mattresses, IKEA mattresses. All 100% identical, except for the label (and marketing).  https://www.thebelfieldgroup.com/our-products/

How can a product that is literally 100% identical to 4-6  other products win so many awards? Surely they should all win.

I then stumbled upon the reason: all of these companies above charge shit loads of money to display their "awards". Some of them want £10k a year.

Another load of bullshit to watch out for - I notice Which? are the only ones not listed.

 

https://medium.com/@jimdee/why-most-business-awards-are-a-scam-preying-on-pride-bb6a7bb2d383

There was also a YT video about it, which I can't find anymore, but I looked into all this BS about 6 months ago.


As for mattresses, we got a deal on an Emma mattress, normally like £650 or so, but got it for £180 via some website, it was a shop selling off these things where people had changed their mind, cancelled orders etc and because they come compress and rolled up, once they're opened they can't be sold as new. I was quite willing to let the OH choose as she'd just moan about it if it were my choice.

Edited by Snark
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boglet said:

I'm suspicious of Which too.

The guy who owns ebac had a bit of a barney with them over the which review/methodology of testing washing machines.

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/which-review/

If I'd known about Ebac the last time I got a washer I would have bought one. Got an Ebac dehumidifier, pretty solid so far and UK assembled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

If I'd known about Ebac the last time I got a washer I would have bought one. Got an Ebac dehumidifier, pretty solid so far and UK assembled.

 

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

If I'd known about Ebac the last time I got a washer I would have bought one. Got an Ebac dehumidifier, pretty solid so far and UK assembled.

I’ve had two ofthem. First was rock solid until one of the kid’s friends decided to use it as a seat.  O.o  second one had a fault. It went back i think four times for repair and they never managed it and refused to replace it. They were so rude when I tried to push the issue, I would never buy their products again. Bloody thing ended up at the tip. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

 

I’ve had two ofthem. First was rock solid until one of the kid’s friends decided to use it as a seat.  O.o  second one had a fault. It went back i think four times for repair and they never managed it and refused to replace it. They were so rude when I tried to push the issue, I would never buy their products again. Bloody thing ended up at the tip. 

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Was it still under warranty?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

If I'd known about Ebac the last time I got a washer I would have bought one. Got an Ebac dehumidifier, pretty solid so far and UK assembled.

I got one of their washing machines, happy with it so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...