DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

So self employed rather than ltd company... and all profits ploughed back in..  to avoid paying any income tax (or a sign a business doesn't actually exist more than it being an expensive hobby)

I am rather minded of the dragons: Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

So self employed rather than ltd company... and all profits ploughed back in..  to avoid paying any income tax (or a sign a business doesn't actually exist more than it being an expensive hobby)

Tricky one, you can have good years and bad years,  goes with the territory, can have very bad years when there's systemic issues and personal ones. Not like a business of any size where you can shed costs / labour / premises even, often there is nothing tangible to shed other than not taking income. 

Compare to Amazon making no profits, at least the above is often a very honest statement of the situation.

Then during this period there are multiple house "investors" being given £10K for every property loan they have taken out with a bank. Have a mate who even has a rental himself who is spitting teeth at the iniquities he's seen with that.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Another niche/hobby  'business' loved by the media. What about genuine businesses struggling...the hygienic plastics manufacturer on some grotty industrial estate in Skegness. Nobody in the media cares about them because it's BORING.

Well, there's a coincidence

Looks like just the chap I need to take a look at the Sparrowhawk I've got on my hand this minute that just went whack into my window when chasing something

Beautiful bird up close. It's wings are OK. Hopefully it's just concussion and it's skull is not caved in. I haven't tried poking the skull yet to see if it's squishy.

It can fly, just doesn't want to at the moment xD

2133887638_Smallmerlin.thumb.jpg.27d76ba2b8f52ce708ca0c8fc4d3ea65.jpg

I won't be eating it

It's just flown off - slowly  xD

Edited by Hopeful
8 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I didn’t know Horse falconry was a thing! Looks good

I expect summer County shows are his main earner and then perhaps those 'red letter day' type things. Might even do a bit of pest control. Perhaps schools visit him on days out.

Hobby business, but probably nothing wrong with that if you don't call upon the state and you can make your lifestyle cover its costs with a bit extra ;)

If he rents premises as part of a business he should have got some help.

Edited by Hopeful