DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A new Kenneth Williams comedy?..no just a government farce!

Heard on the news this morning that they are going to relax the rules on hotels and overnight stays EXCEPT camping...so how can being outside with people more naturally spaced in tents be any more dangerous than confined in a hotel with lots of transmission routes I.e doors.

If the most obedient pleb cannot now see that the whole government lockdown has nothing to do with people's health/transmission of the virus, and has an alternative motive, there is no future for democracy in the UK.

12 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

A new Kenneth Williams comedy?..no just a government farce!

Heard on the news this morning that they are going to relax the rules on hotels and overnight stays EXCEPT camping...so how can being outside with people more naturally spaced in tents be any more dangerous than confined in a hotel with lots of transmission routes I.e doors.

If the most obedient pleb cannot now see that the whole government lockdown has nothing to do with people's health/transmission of the virus, and has an alternative motive, there is no future for democracy in the UK.

Not all, but a lot of this is arse about face

Lots of things at play I suspect

Probably a bt of each of the following

1) Pressure to get the 'important' elements of the economy going while still minimising interactions wherever possible

2) Camplng is not seen as a significant economic activity

3) TPTB stay in hotels, they don't go camping or understand 'real outdoors' that's for plebs. Outdoors is a game of golf.

4) Having some things prohibited keeps the public usefully,  'on guard'.

Of course, for transmission, camping when social distancing and good hygiene in communal areas are maintained (if the public will do that) is probably one of the safest leisure activities - it's just not important enough.

Edited by Hopeful
17 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

They want to keep a ban on camping to prevent escapees from localised lockdowns going forward in phase 3 

If you flee encirclement you will need to camp on your trek out to freedom

In all seriousness I think that highlights a good point...if they have localized lockdowns what are they going to do about the Traveller community?...I can't see them `cowtailing` to any official that tries to dictate their movement.

7 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

In all seriousness I think that highlights a good point...if they have localized lockdowns what are they going to do about the Traveller community?...I can't see them `cowtailing` to any official that tries to dictate their movement.

The police pulled a whole convoy of them on the M5 in Somerset back in March or April; this was full lockdown and they were carrying on as normal.

IIRC two stolen cars found and several driving without insurance / tax was the result.

They now know that it's not a good idea to flout a lockdown because of the police attention that it attracts.

Just now, eight said:

Hotel sector is just about at its end. It's relax restrictions or its gone time.

Shearings was keeping a lot of the traditional if ageing seafront hotels going; Shearings has gone and the only takers for those hotels will be Premier / Travelodge or developers for flats.

That's a lot permanently gone right there.  There are bound to be others operating on similar shoestrings that have quietly decided to close for good.

The 80 bed hotel I was working at last year still has no date to re-open. They have already decided the popular shared dorms (popular as a cheap alternative to camping) will remain closed. Only couples or families (or individuals willing to pay sole-occupier premium), restricted access to the shared areas of the building. Their season runs from March til late November so they're already lost half their takings for this year, and if/when they reopen it will be at 50% capacity. The hospitality industry is doomed !

6 minutes ago, Andersen said:

The 80 bed hotel I was working at last year still has no date to re-open. They have already decided the popular shared dorms (popular as a cheap alternative to camping) will remain closed. Only couples or families (or individuals willing to pay sole-occupier premium), restricted access to the shared areas of the building. Their season runs from March til late November so they're already lost half their takings for this year, and if/when they reopen it will be at 50% capacity. The hospitality industry is doomed !

Partingtons holiday homes are being advertised on telly. Buy your own holiday caravan. 
Prices start at 14500. Which is a huge sum of money. Model shown 39k!  Which is even more.

Is this an alternative for people? 
Fewer jobs. And what do you do whilst you're on holiday if everything is shut.

Edited by sarahbell
6 minutes ago, Andersen said:

They have already decided the popular shared dorms (popular as a cheap alternative to camping) will remain closed. Only couples or families (or individuals willing to pay sole-occupier premium), restricted access to the shared areas of the building

That doesn't sound like much fun worth paying for, especially if when you leave the Hotel you will be subjected to similar anywhere else you go that involves a building or business.

34 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Partingtons holiday homes are being advertised on telly. Buy your own holiday caravan. 
Prices start at 14500. Which is a huge sum of money. Model shown 39k!  Which is even more.

Check the annual fees before you buy - I looked years ago and the ground rent then just for having a static parked on a caravan park was not cheap (thousands £££ !)

Edited by Andersen
1 minute ago, Andersen said:

Check the annual fees before you buy - I looked years ago and the ground rent then just for having a static parked on a caravan park was not cheap (thousands £££ !)

Yes, a friends parents had one years ago. They canned it in the end as the site fees alone, which were increasing significantly every year paid for a couple of decent holidays overseas every year instead.

1 hour ago, Andersen said:

Not to mention all the lost wedding bookings etc.

Is Christmas going to happen? How can anybody know?

2 hours ago, Andersen said:

You need to rent them out for the good weeks to make the fees back normally. Which means you only get to go in offpeak crap weather. Which defeats the object of it.
I think I'd read 8k somewhere when we were being nosey somewhere once.  That's 8 weeks of full whack cost of haven approximately... for all the stress of owning one. Nah.

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Is this an alternative for people? 
Fewer jobs. And what do you do whilst you're on holiday if everything is shut.

I'll have somewhere close to that "huge" sum of money on July 20th.

So I guess that's when I become a pikey...

;)

XYY

4 hours ago, eight said:

Not to mention all the lost wedding bookings etc.

Is Christmas going to happen? How can anybody know?

Christmas will be banned to prevent second wave infections and moved to the Spring when the virus has safely died down again. Christmas 2021 for example will be on May 11th.

We've cancelled our trip to a French campsite at  end of July.  Booked to stay in a lodge there. They've allowed all who need to cross a border to cancel without penalty and issue a voucher for same place next year. I've only paid the 25% deposit so not too much invested in that. If voucher not used in 18 months then a refund in cash will be automatically issued. Seems pretty fair as they're within their contractual rights to keep the deposit 

7 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Camping (particularly tramping) doesn't help the economy. We need all campers to stay in expensive hotels to help the economy, stooopid. 

Can I still pitch my tent in the room and drink the water from the toilet bowl though?....just so that I get the camping experience! :-)