• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Nanny state says you all have to get to know your neighbours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40811530

after spending over 30 years pursuing policies that undermine local communities, the establishment tell us that we all need to get to know our neighbours. 

From the article:

Mr Chambers said he had seen first hand the UK becoming less integrated.

no shit Sherlock. I wonder why?   9_9

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40811530

after spending over 30 years pursuing policies that undermine local communities, the establishment tell us that we all need to get to know our neighbours. 

From the article:

Mr Chambers said he had seen first hand the UK becoming less integrated.

no shit Sherlock. I wonder why?   9_9

Pah, the people in neighbouring offices where I used to work would prefer to communicate with each other by e-mail rather than make eye contact.

People are at home less owing to the need to commute and work all hours to meet the mortgage payments on their vsdtly overpriced house and when they are at home they have some eighty inch plasma screen that they need to get their money's worth from as it's not yet paid off.

If the government wants strong friendly communities then maybe they should drop the retirement age to fifty.

I do know my neighbours, no thanks to government policies. I can think of at least eight that I've fixed things for or helped out in some way. Unsurprisingly we all share the same language and culture and work or have worked for a living.

I did wonder if it was "me" that it the problem, but I have always got on with my neighbours before I lived here. And I still speak to them when I see them shopping etc.

I'm not going to bother with this though, thanks all the same Theresa.

My parents recently moved and their near neighbours are a bit odd.  It's definitely not them as they've always got on well with neighbours and still go and stay with old ones from forty years ago.

Luck of the draw. I get on very well with my current neighbours but that's not always been the case at previous homes; no falling out just not getting on that well. 

Getting on with your neighbours is however a huge reason to stay put when you hear some of the stories.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

People are at home less owing to the need to commute and work all hours to meet the mortgage payments on their vsdtly overpriced house and when they are at home they have some eighty inch plasma screen that they need to get their money's worth from as it's not yet paid off.

If the government wants strong friendly communities then maybe they should drop the retirement age to fifty.

There is also the issue of employers expecting more from employees now so less time to give to the local community. 

I always get to know my neighbours wherever in the world that I live.  It is much easier if i) you all speak the same language ii) share the same ethnic background iii) share the same religious background iv) all work or all do not work (i.e. all students works must better than a mix)

This is just a reality of human experience.  I have got on better with black, english-caribbean speaking neighbours than white, polish, neighbours.  

Maybe TPTB should take some responsibility for fracturing society by mass immigration which dilutes homogeneity.  In hong kong, people seldom mix if they are of a different race/culture, and it is very noticeable.

The town I live in is treated as a dormitary, containing low quality jobs, low quality town centre and low quality services it is used as a cheap place to live away from the two cities it sits between.

50 years ago it was a thriving industrial town where you were odd if you commuted to work.

Now most everyone drives about an hour to work spends 8-9 hours in work and drives an hour home, doesn't shop in town, doesn't use the pubs and spends most of their time watching TV.

Thats 21st century life and the sad fact is they don't realise how shit it really is.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The town I live in is treated as a dormitary, containing low quality jobs, low quality town centre and low quality services it is used as a cheap place to live away from the two cities it sits between.

50 years ago it was a thriving industrial town where you were odd if you commuted to work.

Now most everyone drives about an hour to work spends 8-9 hours in work and drives an hour home, doesn't shop in town, doesn't use the pubs and spends most of their time watching TV.

Thats 21st century life and the sad fact is they don't realise how shit it really is.

Good analysis chewy. With the destruction of jobs over the last 30 plus years, I bet hardly anyone lives near work these days, especially if they have a so-called professional job.   

34 minutes ago, JFK said:

Our neighbours are cunts, I'd happily knock the shit out of the bloke. 

After an hour of fireworks on and off, from someone down the street, waking up my 10mo daughter, I feel similar. 

Inconsiderate fucker. Started at 9pm and still going on. Must have cost them a grand by this point. 

I know all of my neighbours - at least by the nick-names me and Mrs XYY have bestowed upon them.

There's Twiggy, The Kiddie-Fiddler, Mr Angry, The Wolf Man, Mr Red Car, Cunt-Face, Laurel and Hardy, The Fat Slags, Mr Red Car's Wife, Fred and Rose, The Clampetts, Sid and Nancy, The Roly-Polys, and Hannibal fucking Lector...!!!

;)

XYY

Living in London, it's amazing how well we all know each other. Mulled wine and carols at Christmas. Street parties to mark jubilees etc.  We have one geezer who drives tubes for a living. He was brought up in Tottenham, under the shadow of broadwater farm. Outstanding neighbour. He is like the streeet attack dog. Nothing, but nothing gets past him. Any scroats turn up and he is out there threatening to kneecap them. 

It is a nice quiet street. Sadly the attack dog is moving. 

22 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

After an hour of fireworks on and off, from someone down the street, waking up my 10mo daughter, I feel similar. 

Inconsiderate fucker. Started at 9pm and still going on. Must have cost them a grand by this point. 

Is it some sort of holy day for the incomers as I've been listening to fireworks tonight too.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Is it some sort of holy day for the incomers as I've been listening to fireworks tonight too.

I thought it was illegal to st fireworks off outside of bonfire night. Sadly I was mistaken. From the government website 

You must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except for:

• Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
  • New Year‚Äôs Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am

so, some events are seen as more important for fireworks letting off than bonfire night. How we undermine our own culture and mores 

14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I know all of my neighbours - at least by the nick-names me and Mrs XYY have bestowed upon them.

There's Twiggy, The Kiddie-Fiddler, Mr Angry, The Wolf Man, Mr Red Car, Cunt-Face, Laurel and Hardy, The Fat Slags, Mr Red Car's Wife, Fred and Rose, The Clampetts, Sid and Nancy, The Roly-Polys, and Hannibal fucking Lector...!!!

XYY

Do you live in Royston Vasey?

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've looked it up but I can't find any festival. Yorkshire day was a couple of days ago so I don't think it's that. 

She managed to sleep through the first half an hour but 90 minutes was asking too much when it sounds like downtown Mosul outside. 

As One percent said, it seems to be acceptable as long as it's finished by 11. 

Annoyingly it's going to take another hour or two to settle her back down. 

Weirdest thing is that they started at 9 and it wasn't even dark then!