• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JohnThePessimist

To Travel Or Not To Travel?

Like many here I prepped well but became sceptical as the lockdown progressed. I have also had a good lockdown and employment looks secure for the foreseeable. 

We had a family holiday to the South of France booked, and I postponed the accommodation to 2021. We don’t usually go abroad as we have extended family in Ireland and Scotland we like to see during school holidays. However eldest is 16 and I suspect that family holidays will no longer be the entire tribe in a few very short years.

I am weighing up booking a cheap camping holiday in France at the end of the month. We still have our tunnel tickets. Should I go or no?

Depends how much you want to be hated. My town is currently rammed with mouth breathing knuckle draggers from smoggy land on a day trip. A friend of a friend owns an ice cream kiosk. They were giving her abuse yesterday because she apparently wasn’t serving the ice cream quick enough. So much so that she has decided not to open this weekend.  The locals are getting very pissed off with the lot of them.  No social distancing, acting arrogant etc. They can all fuckoff as far as I’m concerned. 

you need to ask yourself, do you want to fall into that category?  Well do yah punk?  Go on, make my day.  xD

1 hour ago, JohnThePessimist said:

I’ve considered that, however she has been at home with the tribe since March. I think a change of scene will do them the world of good.

Yep.

I am booking the son on a one way flight to Cancun next Thursday.

Hoping it is the right thing to do. The only issue is that at present there is no option to purchase travel insurance.

I'm going, I think the risk will be low due to lower volume of travelers but if I'm wrong then who knows.

I wonder what holiday insurance is going to cost...

32 minutes ago, stockton said:

I'm going, I think the risk will be low due to lower volume of travelers but if I'm wrong then who knows.

It isn't currently available at any price.

That might change on Monday

4 hours ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Like many here I prepped well but became sceptical as the lockdown progressed. I have also had a good lockdown and employment looks secure for the foreseeable. 

We had a family holiday to the South of France booked, and I postponed the accommodation to 2021. We don’t usually go abroad as we have extended family in Ireland and Scotland we like to see during school holidays. However eldest is 16 and I suspect that family holidays will no longer be the entire tribe in a few very short years.

I am weighing up booking a cheap camping holiday in France at the end of the month. We still have our tunnel tickets. Should I go or no?

Yes. Prolly best to Go abroad this year if you can. UK coast is likely to be rammed. 

5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Yep.

I am booking the son on a one way flight to Cancun next Thursday.

Hoping it is the right thing to do. The only issue is that at present there is no option to purchase travel insurance.

Cancun?  why the fuck there?  the drug gangs have massively increased their control over cancun since the happy go lucky days of the 90's - you sure you have done your research?

FUCK YES TRAVEL!!!

Is your 16 year old male? He will love all the tits on the French beaches......but you might need some earplugs for the fapping in the tent later:P

Christ France shits all over the UK for holidays.......the beaches are awesome, the mountains, the rivers......the ROADS too!!! Avoid Paris and it's a joy to drive anywhere too

Even the trains are awesome! In fact France shits all over the UK for everything xD

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

Cancun?  why the fuck there?  the drug gangs have massively increased their control over cancun since the happy go lucky days of the 90's - you sure you have done your research?

So long as @Wight Flight 's son has nothing to do with that scene then I' m sure he will be fine. :)

23 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

FUCK YES TRAVEL!!!

Is your 16 year old male? He will love all the tits on the French beaches......but you might need some earplugs for the fapping in the tent later:P

Christ France shits all over the UK for holidays.......the beaches are awesome, the mountains, the rivers......the ROADS too!!! Avoid Paris and it's a joy to drive anywhere too

Even the trains are awesome! In fact France shits all over the UK for everything xD

I was talking about Cancun, Mexico.  You thinking of Cannes? :P

7 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

It isn't currently available at any price.

That might change on Monday

Great, guessing this is because of current travel adivce?

Have booked an Airbnb in Cornwall, but personally don’t think the risk of going abroad is worth it this year. Don’t want to get stuck somewhere. Unsure how locals will receive an influx of foreigners. How easy will be be to eat out etc? (I realise I potentially still have these issues in Cornwall, but they are all a little easier to manage...) We’ve also got an expensive year coming up, and it suits to reign in the spending this summer.

Power to anyone going though. Hope all goes well and you can find forget about this nonsense for a few days.

3 hours ago, wherebee said:

No choice. He can't get into the U.S. until he has been out the UK for 14 days.

It shows how daft it is. He has to leave a very low risk home to stay for two weeks in a much higher risk area before travelling on.

33 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No choice. He can't get into the U.S. until he has been out the UK for 14 days.

It shows how daft it is. He has to leave a very low risk home to stay for two weeks in a much higher risk area before travelling on.

CV cases are on the rise in Mexico 763 deaths yesterday. Isn't there somewhere else he could use? Are you sure he can get into the USA from a virus hotspot? He might get stranded there.

"Canada and the United States (US) could start opening some of their flights within the next few weeks."

"The beaches in Cancun are still closed, they are hoping to open them in a few weeks."

https://www.mexicanist.com/l/cancun-coronavirus/

8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

CV cases are on the rise in Mexico 763 deaths yesterday. Isn't there somewhere else he could use? Are you sure he can get into the USA from a virus hotspot? He might get stranded there.

"Canada and the United States (US) could start opening some of their flights within the next few weeks."

"The beaches in Cancun are still closed, they are hoping to open them in a few weeks."

https://www.mexicanist.com/l/cancun-coronavirus/

Hmmm. Hadn't seen that. Though the beaches being closed won't worry him.

It is difficult. He has to be out of Europe for 14 days before he enters the U.S..

Canada is the obvious choice but you can't go there either. And to get to most of the Caribbean you need to fly via the states which you obviously can't do.

The biggest risk is if he gets to Mexico and then the U.S. closes the border. 

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Hmmm. Hadn't seen that. Though the beaches being closed won't worry him.

It is difficult. He has to be out of Europe for 14 days before he enters the U.S..

Canada is the obvious choice but you can't go there either. And to get to most of the Caribbean you need to fly via the states which you obviously can't do.

The biggest risk is if he gets to Mexico and then the U.S. closes the border. 

New Zealand?

9 hours ago, stockton said:

Almost no holiday travellers on the ferries at the moment, but then there no cheap tickets either - £200 ish for a return trip, I think this is because the one ones being sold are the open return ones due to the current  situation.

It is summertime, virus levels low at the moment, if going to travel then possibly no better time to do so, really don't know what will happen in the autumn, some say the virus will burn itself out and disappear, could make a return.  Would be tempted to base decision on availability of insurance though, of you cannot get that you are somewhat exposed, though nowhere near as bad in the case of Europe.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. As the advice is currently against all travel, any insurance is invalid.

Don't think this is true. As I said on previous thread the FAQ on insure and go doesn't mention this.