DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

High street "experts"

Option5

My lad went into Halfrauds to buy a new battery earth cable. He sent me this:

"Had an interesting conversation today, with a chap in Halfords, I went in to grab a battery earth cable but I didn’t see anything remotely big enough, so I asked, and they guy I spoke to said “that’s all we have, besides if it’s the negative side you need then it doesn’t matter what size as it doesn’t handle any current” 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻"

How dangerous are these company proclaimed "experts"

Any other stories, I imagine PC World will have been the source of a few.

yeah interesting one this earthing thing o.O

In some countries ie France and Australia, in your house it's you who supplies the earth like below ie just a metal rod into the ground which makes a lot more sense to me, why the fuck should a cable go all the way back to a 'supply point' when there is earth all around us???

1024px-HomeEarthRodAustralia1.thumb.jpg.365c59f7fff8802b3d91443df834de3e.jpg

Then like in the UK you have those fat ugly plugs, WHY????

Neutral and live are interchangeable, well in France at least they are, I'm not a sparky but even I understand this xD I think it's cos it's called AC and it 'alternates' between the two :P

I proved this to a 'stupid neighbour' by showing him a double socket where the neutral on one side was connected to the live on the other and he still wouldn't believe....he proceeded to print off some shit from a forum on the internet....and he's a successful business man.....so yeah brainwashing has gone a long way.......I blame the fatties at the Health and Safety executive O.o

1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

In some countries ie France and Australia, in your house it's you who supplies the earth like below ie just a metal rod into the ground which makes a lot more sense to me, why the fuck should a cable go all the way back to a 'supply point' when there is earth all around us???

Neutral and live are interchangeable, well in France at least they are, I'm not a sparky but even I understand this xD I think it's cos it's called AC and it 'alternates' between the two :P

I proved this to a 'stupid neighbour' by showing him a double socket where the neutral on one side was connected to the live on the other and he still wouldn't believe....he proceeded to print off some shit from a forum on the internet....and he's a successful business man.....so yeah brainwashing has gone a long way.......I blame the fatties at the Health and Safety executive O.o

When I was growing up my gran's house had Wylex plugs and sockets.

The fat ugly plugs are big to house a fuse and material technology at the time meant that they had to be thick to withstand impact etc.

Common earth prevents earth differentials so the earth resistance is consistent.

1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

The guidelines/rules/standards are there so there's no surprise for someone who doesnt not that a house has been wired up totally backwards.

It works as everyone follows the same rules.

4 pages of examples where Halfruds highly trained cycle mechanics (aka semi-trained monkeys) have assembled, checked, and delivered new bikes with the front forks on backwards https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/halfords-and-the-reverse-fork.75769/

They also refused to sell me the oil filter I asked for when it was giving my car a service as "its the wrong one and won't fit" (the one on the car fitted but their computer said it wouldnt.)

Recently heard of a chap wanting a spare / extra battery for the ebike he bought from them, unable to help / why do you need a battery - what's wrong with yours / we need the part number ... Very frustrating and he just gave up.

3 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I used to work for the electricity board many years ago and one of the contracts we had was to fit earth spikes to people's houses.  Not a sparky, but I seem to remember they were fitted if after testing the earth wasn't, um, earthy enough.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

I used to work for the electricity board many years ago and one of the contracts we had was to fit earth spikes to people's houses.  Not a sparky, but I seem to remember they were fitted if after testing the earth wasn't, um, earthy enough.

I have lived in lots of houses in the UK and never, ever come across an 'earth spike'.....sure I haven't been looking for them but I thought in the UK, the 'electric company' supplied the earth as well as live and neutral?o.O

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

t works as everyone follows the same rules.

it doesn't though.....

ie once I had a 'decent sized' house (which wasn't very old) and had a 'decent extension' built......the sparky couldn't work out what was wrong with the existing ring main.......he admitted he had to 'bodge it' and told me to ring him if it kept tripping, it did a few times then seemed to settle down.....

I still don't get this fuse thing either, a lot of appliances have fuses built in so in the UK you can end up with a situation with 3 fuses ie at the consumer unit, the plug, and in the appliance.....

the fuse plug is not necessary if you do the electrics right in the first place ie each room has it's own unique supply.....ring circuits are the devils work, just like fat ugly plugs with fuses in em :P

Green Devil
6 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Live is different because it includes the fuzes. Hence why shocks of neutral are killers. Dont ever connect them the wrong way round. Perhaps in france both sides are fuzed?

3 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Live is different because it includes the fuzes. Hence why shocks of neutral are killers. Dont ever connect them the wrong way round. Perhaps in france both sides are fuzed?

I'll investigate further but euro plugs look like this so you can plug them in both ways :S

plug.jpeg

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Perhaps in france both sides are fuzed?

Apparently the RCDs are 'double poled'......is this why the live and neutral are 'interchangable'?

goldbug9999
On 25/06/2020 at 13:18, Green Devil said:

A fuse wont prevent a fatal shock as the current needed to kill is only a tiny fraction of that need to blow a fuse.

The difference between live and neutral is that live has high voltage swings relative to earth and neutral generally has very little or even none (at least in the UK).

1 minute ago, goldbug9999 said:

A fuse wont prevent a fatal shock as the current needed to kill is only a tiny fraction of that need to blow a fuse.

The fuse is to protect the cable, not the person. ELCBs were eventually developed to protect people. 

Again, from my time at the elctricity board, we received a request from an inquest for an opinion following the death of a 15 year old boy.  Our foreman's verdict was that it was a shoddily wired plug on a metal bodied lamp, as he had just got out of the shower and was wet and barefoot, he tripped over the cable to the lamp, loosening the earth wire in the plug which contacted the live in the plug as he put his hand out to break his fall and touched the metal body of the lamp.

I'm assuming stuff like this happened ofetn enough to essentially outlaw home wired plugs on new appliances, everything is moulded now, which seems like a good thing.

On 25/06/2020 at 13:13, 5min OCD speculator said:

it doesn't though.....

ie once I had a 'decent sized' house (which wasn't very old) and had a 'decent extension' built......the sparky couldn't work out what was wrong with the existing ring main.......he admitted he had to 'bodge it' and told me to ring him if it kept tripping, it did a few times then seemed to settle down.....

I still don't get this fuse thing either, a lot of appliances have fuses built in so in the UK you can end up with a situation with 3 fuses ie at the consumer unit, the plug, and in the appliance.....

the fuse plug is not necessary if you do the electrics right in the first place ie each room has it's own unique supply.....ring circuits are the devils work, just like fat ugly plugs with fuses in em :P

The over elaborate fused plugs in the UK are the result of a comittee.:Old:

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

The over elaborate fused plugs in the UK are the result of a comittee.:Old:

Our plugs are designed to handle volume level 11.  That's why we used to be so good at rock music and Europe got Eurovision.

jamtomorrow
On 25/06/2020 at 06:18, Option5 said:

My lad went into Halfrauds to buy a new battery earth cable. He sent me this:

"Had an interesting conversation today, with a chap in Halfords, I went in to grab a battery earth cable but I didn’t see anything remotely big enough, so I asked, and they guy I spoke to said “that’s all we have, besides if it’s the negative side you need then it doesn’t matter what size as it doesn’t handle any current” 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻"

How dangerous are these company proclaimed "experts"

Any other stories, I imagine PC World will have been the source of a few.

Might pop in later if Halfords are getting into the business of bleeding-edge physics, been after a single-pole magnet for *ages*

Castlevania
14 hours ago, Inigo said:

Again, from my time at the elctricity board, we received a request from an inquest for an opinion following the death of a 15 year old boy.  Our foreman's verdict was that it was a shoddily wired plug on a metal bodied lamp, as he had just got out of the shower and was wet and barefoot, he tripped over the cable to the lamp, loosening the earth wire in the plug which contacted the live in the plug as he put his hand out to break his fall and touched the metal body of the lamp.

I'm assuming stuff like this happened ofetn enough to essentially outlaw home wired plugs on new appliances, everything is moulded now, which seems like a good thing.

Esther Rantzen ran a campaign so that all electrical items came with a pre-wired plug.

goldbug9999

I never worked out why they changed the colours - the old red/black/green was very intuitive, but brown for live ?? what the fuck is all that about..

On 25/06/2020 at 08:01, 5min OCD speculator said:

Reminds me to not get you in to wire up my house :-)

Try sticking neutral and then live into your mouth and report back your findings.

French sockets are crap in general. They pull out of the walls and wear so either the shutters break or you can't get the plugs in anymore. Having ECBs is a good idea but there are a lot of older properties that are total death traps.

Archived