DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

High street "experts"

Option5

1 minute ago, Dave Bloke said:

Reminds me to not get you in to wire up my house :-)

Decided I'm not doing anymore after spending 2 years doing mine :P

I bought a place with 3 phase, 400 volts and the weirdest collection of sockets even the locals had ever seen (the old duffer used to run a glove making factory in the sous-sol)....it was fun ripping it all out and then deciding how to rewire it....I couldn't get a sparky so just used google and watched youtube videos :D

right I'm off to finish some wiring, if you don't hear from me for a few week don't worry xD

On 25/06/2020 at 13:06, 5min OCD speculator said:

I have lived in lots of houses in the UK and never, ever come across an 'earth spike'.....sure I haven't been looking for them but I thought in the UK, the 'electric company' supplied the earth as well as live and neutral?o.O

Every house I've ever lived in has had an earth spike.  Not that I trust them -- I had an electrician round to check things and the ground spike wasn't passing the test -- so he poured a bucket of water over it, waited 5 minutes and then it passed.  I felt a bit like the kids in that Darth Vader public information film -- 'I won't be there when you cross the road, so always check your earth spike'.  Or something like that.

On 25/06/2020 at 14:11, 5min OCD speculator said:

Apparently the RCDs are 'double poled'......is this why the live and neutral are 'interchangable'?

They 'detect residual current' comparing live and neutral -- if there's a difference then they trip.  They're intrinsically connected to both 'poles'.

On 25/06/2020 at 07:01, 5min OCD speculator said:

Neutral and live are interchangeable, well in France at least they are, I'm not a sparky but even I understand this xD I think it's cos it's called AC and it 'alternates' between the two :P

Better to think of AC as the live wire alternately sucking and blowing electrons down the copper, with the neutral connected to a massive sink and source of electrons that'll take or deliver whatever electrons are asked for by the live wire.  We call this massive sink or source of electrons 'the world', or 'earth'. 

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Every house I've ever lived in has had an earth spike.  Not that I trust them -- I had an electrician round to check things and the ground spike wasn't passing the test -- so he poured a bucket of water over it, waited 5 minutes and then it passed.  I felt a bit like the kids in that Darth Vader public information film -- 'I won't be there when you cross the road, so always check your earth spike'.  Or something like that.

yeah it took me and a mate half a day to sink a 1½ meter metal earth pole into the ground, using a massive drill bit, another metal pole, sledgehammer etc. I would have used a tent peg :$ but he convinced me it was important xD

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Better to think of AC as the live wire alternately sucking and blowing electrons down the copper, with the neutral connected to a massive sink and source of electrons that'll take or deliver whatever electrons are asked for by the live wire.  We call this massive sink or source of electrons 'the world', or 'earth'.

As long as you've got your RCDs in the consumer unit connected up the right way, the socket at the wall doesn't appear to give a shite.....well that's what I convinced myself B| O.o

On 25/06/2020 at 13:23, 5min OCD speculator said:

I'll investigate further but euro plugs look like this so you can plug them in both ways :S

plug.jpeg

My eldest is so scared of leccy that he leaves the room when I'm about to bodge a Euro plug into a 13 amp socket. :)

Archived