• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

British Rail. We are getting there, we just don’t say when

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I called it, almost from Day 1:)

The state of the economy post-Covid will drive massive nationalisation, re-nationalisation and government supported consolidation.

You ain't seen nuffink yet.

More city bailouts then. It will all be given back to their mates once the bebt can be hidden away. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Certain things ought to be run by the state, and rail may be one of them, but this not very "Conservative" is it?

Best transport systems I have ever travelled on are Hong Kong and Japan. By a huge margin. Both privately run.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Best transport systems I have ever travelled on are Hong Kong and Japan. By a huge margin. Both privately run.

I bow to your foreign knowledge.  I would reckon France Spain, and Germany. All heavily subsidised.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Certain things ought to be run by the state, and rail may be one of them, but this not very "Conservative" is it?

It is one thing the Labour Party will have to remove from their next manifesto.The franchise system was bollocks anyway.

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

It is one thing the Labour Party will have to remove from their next manifesto.The franchise system was bollocks anyway.

It was a "privatise everything" mania, as lampooned by "Spitting Image" where the politicians are spinning round like Daleks, shouting "privatise".

17 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I thought Japan felt like a communist state in all but name, very conformist, but good at running things like railways etc 

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

The difficulty with rail seems to me that people aren’t prepared to pay the actual cost of the ticket for most journeys. If it didn’t require massive subsidy to run a train system then the whole thing would be way less controversial.

Do you mean the ticket price just for the journey, or the ticket price for the journey plus the shareholder dividend and executive bonus scheme?

2 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Do you mean the ticket price just for the journey, or the ticket price for the journey plus the shareholder dividend and executive bonus scheme?

Makes no difference. If you assume that trains were operated at maximum efficiency by people happy to do it all for minimum wage out of the goodness of their hearts they would, on most routes, still require a huge subsidy at current ticket prices.

35 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Makes no difference. If you assume that trains were operated at maximum efficiency by people happy to do it all for minimum wage out of the goodness of their hearts they would, on most routes, still require a huge subsidy at current ticket prices.

It's almost as if the value of the £ is a lot less than it appears in the inflation report.

9 hours ago, Funn3r said:

B-b-but that's what Mr Corbyn was going to do and they told us he was a Very Bad Man? 

Yup, amusing to watch the Tories implementing Corbyn's manifesto. Soon be time to do the water companies, another privatisation that made no sense as there is no competition.

22 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Remind me again how much the tube drivers get paid?

38 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Remind me again how much the tube drivers get paid?

It was quite a lot from what I recall. But, even if they got paid minimum wage, the tube would run at a loss without much higher ticket prices.

6 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I thought the minister told us Not to use the trains? turn the London terminals into flats?  tear up the rails elsewhere? 

Well, I suppose that’s why their fat cat mates want to unload it all.   

You can only squeeze so many people on trains, and run so many trains, and have so many carriages. Trains and the underground have in some parts of the country reached their physical limits.

If you could put more people on, then you don't have to raise prices each year as much as they do currently.

Train operators are best giving it up now, because if you don't allow overcrowding on trains like they have been doing because of social distancing, the business runs at a big fat loss.