DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What cross do you bear?

The message is clear: every famous black person has had to rise above their racist white counterparts and be twice as good, or something like that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8463373/Idris-Elba-says-success-not-negated-experience-racism.html

I can see how this may be the case for some black people, but definitely not in the media. If anything, he's had a huge leg-up on the career ladder because of the colour of his skin. Other white people have probably missed out, even., because of him. But let's not go there.... This got me thinking: do we all see ourselves as victims of something or other?

I can empthasise a bit with Mr Elba, I often think I've had to work twice as hard as others, as I had/have literally zero family connections. A lot of successful people either inherit, or are born into money/connections, when I never had either, so I had to earn both.

Which cross do you bear?

Edited by spunko
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago, at a departmental meeting at work, my boss was talking the most shite that I'd ever heard spew-forth from his clueless gob. At some point he clocked the look on my face, and imme

Shit state comprehensive in the eighties under Thatcher during the miners strike. I could count on the fingers of one hand the decent teachers I had. Most shouldn't have been around children in a

Far too honest for my own fucking good...   XYY

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, spunko said:

The message is clear: every famous black person has had to rise above their racist white counterparts and be twice as good, or something like that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8463373/Idris-Elba-says-success-not-negated-experience-racism.html

I can see how this may be the case for some black people, but definitely not in the media. If anything, he's had a huge leg-up on the career ladder because of the colour of his skin. Other white people have probably missed out, even., because of him. But let's not go there.... This got me thinking: do we all see ourselves as victims of something or other?

I can empthasise a bit with Mr Elba, I often think I've had to work twice as hard as others, as I had/have literally zero family connections. A lot of successful people either inherit, or are born into money/connections, when I never had either, so I had to earn both.

Which cross do you bear?

As a white bloke I was unable to audition for the part of Russell "Stringer" Bell in HBO series The Wire.

Could have gone for White Mike, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Grew up poor, went to an utterly shit school, had some bad health issues early on, hampered initially by a stupid Northern accent etc. But, whatever, I’ve never lived my life as a victim, what’s the point in that?

If I recall correctly, you're originally from the North-East.

If that's true, then you were blessed with the nation's most loved and fashionable regional accent - and ye've missed oot on a hyowge fukken trick there mind, marra...!

;)

XYY

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Far too honest for my own fucking good...

XYY

Yep, I called somone a cunt the other day

They took great offence

I just replied: 'If the cap fits"

Actually, I don't need to verbalise

My biggest cross is that what I think of the person I'm speaking to will be written all over my face.

Typically, I think you're a complete prick

Being a short arse. I was teased, bullied and picked on at school. More so than any of the other ethnic people (my school was like the United nations). 

I also had no recourse to violence being the smallest so I dealt with it using humour and smart retorts to comments. 

I'm happy with the hand I was dealt: healthy, great upbringing.

There were a few times at college and in my early years of work where I missed out because I didn't have the family money that others did to enable me to:

Go on foreign holidays at college or do the more expensive hobbies; I would so love to have been in the parachute club with their summer trip to Spain running out the back of a Hercules. I could only afford to do one jump near Peterborough.

Live somewhere decent in London, have a car, and go on top class holidays.

Though by 30 I'd sorted myself out financially and the drive to get to that position had advanced my career beyond those of the wealthy kids.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Yep, I called somone a cunt the other day

They took great offence

I just replied: 'If the cap fits"

Actually, I don't need to verbalise

My biggest cross is that what I think of the person I'm speaking to will be written all over my face.

Typically, I think you're a complete prick

Bet all your references say, plays well with others. xD

to the wider thread, left school at 16. Would have been far better staying on and doing A levels. School was beyond shite too. 

Shit state comprehensive in the eighties under Thatcher during the miners strike.

I could count on the fingers of one hand the decent teachers I had. Most shouldn't have been around children in a social setting, let alone tasked with being responsible for childrens education. Looking back at it as a grown adult galloping into his middle age, it is laughable now.

Have a number of friends from a variety of backgrounds who went there, who could have been so much more than they are with the right encouragement at a young age - although they are all doing okay by most standards.

Interestingly, I occasionally bump into other people from those days and they all say the same thing.

They are where they are today in spite of the place, not because of it.

The long term consequences of the Marxism in our schools makes me want to weep. It is a lot worse today, and the results are going to be a lot more significant. Which is why we are seeing the events unfolding as they are at the moment.

Race to the bottom.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bet all your references say, plays well with others. xD

to the wider thread, left school at 16. Would have been far better staying on and doing A levels. School was beyond shite too. 

I'm a superb team player xD

Many people would say I'm not.

But many teams are formed by people that want to hide from work or responsibiliy

I don't play well in those teams at all and they don't like me in them

Hence I'm not a good team player

And that is most teams in my experience. Rarely do you get a team in the public sector where everybody is signed up.

I like to get a job done and done well.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'm a superb team player xD

Many people would say I'm not.

But many teams are formed by people that want to hide from work or responsibiliy

I don't play well in those teams at all and they don't like me in them

Hence I'm not a good team player

And that is most teams in my experience. Rarely do you get a team in the public sector where everybody is signed up.

I like to get a job done and done well.

Same. I’ve worked with some fantastic teams. Still mates with some from the first team i worked with, 30 years ago.  What i find interesting/scary/bonkers is that in any team that has been good, management come along and spoil it. Almost as if they are running scared of a high performing team.  o.O

I was bullied horrendously in school for several years, and have been violently attacked on the street by strangers more than once. As I had no apparent racial or sexual differences to those who attacked me I've just had to conclude that the world's full of cunts, and that all sorts of cuntishness mindless behavior is going on all over the place all of the time, and sometimes I'm unlucky - or careless - enough to walk into the middle of it. 

But if I had had some narrative hook to hang all of this on, some recurring theme to give reason and meaning to events that made me the center of the story rather than some irrelevant passer by cought up in other people being arseholes, then I'm certain that i would  have seen things differently and ascribed some "ist" or "ism" purpose to my misfortunes.

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

A few years ago, at a departmental meeting at work, my boss was talking the most shite that I'd ever heard spew-froth from his clueless gob.

At some point he clocked the look on my face, and immediately stopped what he was saying and told me "And you can stop furrowing your fucking brow"...!

I walked into the next meeting wearing a welding mask with the words "BROW FURROWING DEFENDER" written across the top in Tippex - which made him completely lose it with me.

Is it any surprise that I've just been paid off...? 

;)

XYY

Sort of thing I'd do.

You've got to take the piss when it deserves to be taken

Regardless of the personal consequences

Because, by then, I'd have lost respect and so i'd not be worried about staying in any case.

Edited by Hopeful
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Same. I’ve worked with some fantastic teams. Still mates with some from the first team i worked with, 30 years ago.  What i find interesting/scary/bonkers is that in any team that has been good, management come along and spoil it. Almost as if they are running scared of a high performing team.  o.O

They both run scared and are envious

Envious because a good team is fun to be part of as it's productive, exciting and fun. They wish they could experience that, but they never will because they are dullards, so they must destroy it so it is no longer a reminder.

Edited by Hopeful
7 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I was bullied horrendously in school for several years, and have been violently attacked on the street by strangers more than once. As I had no apparent racial or sexual differences to those who attacked me I've just had to conclude that the world's full of cunts, and that all sorts of cuntishness mindless behavior is going on all over the place all of the time, and sometimes I'm unlucky - or careless - enough to walk into the middle of it. 

But if I had had some narrative hook to hang all of this on, some recurring theme to give reason and meaning to events that made me the center of the story rather than some irrelevant passer by cought up in other people being arseholes, then I'm certain that i would  have seen things differently and ascribed some "ist" or "ism" purpose to my misfortunes.

Sorry to hear that. Some people are just utter, utter cunts.  

A couple of summers ago, i was walking my old lab along the seafront. Walking past the victorian shelter, i saw a dog being pushed out of it with a middle aged bloke saying, go one, attack it.  Wtf?   O.o  anyhow, i gave him just a bit of a mouthful to which he replied that my dog had attacked his first.  Luckily, his dog didn’t seem to be the aggressive type.  

luckily, an older local bloke saw it all, phoned the police and a plastic bobby turned up. 

this bloke looked like a middle class office drone out for a day at the seaside. 

moral us, they don’t even have to look like cunts to be one. 

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

They both run scared and are envious

Envious because a good team is fun to be part of as it's productive, exciting and fun. They wish they could experience that, but they never will because they are dullards, so they must destroy it so it is no longer a reminder.

Yes, I suspect you are spot on.  

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I suspect your being extensively bullied at school makes you very worried about it happening again and this gives you a "victim" look: looking worried, shying away.

Maybe taking up boxing or similar will give you the confidence you need that you lose that victim look.

Every town has violent scum looking for victims and they get used to recognising them.

I mentioned on here before that I was down town a few summers ago and a chav leapt up from a bench and started ranting at me. I was bemused more than anything and looked straight at him without concern and didn't pause or change direction. Realising he had picked on the wrong person he quickly sat down and looked at the floor trying to pretend that he hadn't just done that.

All it is is confidence; I didn't give him either of the two reactions he expected: fear or aggression back.

Dogs are the same if you are neither scared of them nor a threat to them then then they leave you alone.