DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There does seem to be a lot of effort going into turning politics into a binary choice between different flavours of authoritarianism.  I just want to be left alone.  

And white characters should be played by whites and male  characters by men, surely? Actually, I never cared if it was a black Macbeth or a female Starbuck so long as it was done well. But I sure

I thought that the main part of being good actor is the ability to persuade the audience that you're someone or something you're not? Have I missed something? 

I listen to a lot of radio plays and the closing line is that "other parts were played by members of the cast"; this being to save money because they are produced on a shoestring.

It's alright for big budget Simpsons but your average radio play is going to cut or change the ethnicity of minor parts if this comes in as an Equity rule on cost grounds; or change a major character's ethnicity to that of a minor character to double up.

Michael Bates (It Ain't Half Hot Mum) was born in India, worked in the Indian civil service and then the Indian army.  His Indian accent was authentic. Should someone like him be barred from a voice role because he has white skin?

Similarly I briefly worked with a white Jamaican in London. Full Jamaican accent but 100% white; it took some getting used to.

He could do a voiceover for a Jamaican character with his natural voice.

And white characters should be played by whites and male  characters by men, surely?

Actually, I never cared if it was a black Macbeth or a female Starbuck so long as it was done well. But I sure as fuck do now and will not tolerate cultural Or sexual Appropriation of male  or white roles going forwards.

Just now, Melchett said:

And white characters should be played by whites and male  characters by men, surely?

Actually, I never cared if it was a black Macbeth or a female Starbuck so long as it was done well. But I sure as fuck do now and will not tolerate cultural Or sexual Appropriation of male  or white roles going forwards.

Is pantomime fucked? 

Yes it is....... 

1 minute ago, NewryH said:

Cricket commentator Tony cozier would confuse people as well.

If you are old enough, you might remember Michael Manley, first PM of Jamaica. Of course he has a Jamaican accent. That's where he comes from.

45 minutes ago, MrPin said:

If you are old enough, you might remember Michael Manley, first PM of Jamaica. Of course he has a Jamaican accent. That's where he comes from.

His Dad was mixed race apparently though he looks Caucasian from the photos.

His Mum was from Bournemouth.

I know a white Bahamian who has a West Indian accent.

Edited by Virgil Caine

They are being fired or resigning en masse.

Hollywood's backing of BLM has come back to bite them - as it inevitably would.

Apparently black looking bi racial actors are still OK to play whatever role they like. But bi racial actors who look white are no longer OK to play any character.

I now assume Kenneth Branagh will get on his knees and apologise to the people of Wales for having played Henry V - "All the water in the Wye cannot wash your majesty's Welsh blood out of your body" - and only Scottish actors can now act in Macbeth. If so, the production of Macbeth airing on YT currently with a black Macbeth needs to be erased and an apology & a knee forthcoming. Naturally, only fairies and humans who have been turned into an arse can get work in 'A Midsummer's... Zzzzzz.

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Choose your enemies carefully for you will come to resemble them. Nietzsche, innit.

SJWs and the alt-right culture warriors are two sides of the same coin. Obsessed with race, gender, moral interpretations of history etc. Really they need each other, can't be a culture warrior if there's nobody to fight.

Edited by Darude
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I listen to a lot of radio plays and the closing line is that "other parts were played by members of the cast"; this being to save money because they are produced on a shoestring.

It's alright for big budget Simpsons but your average radio play is going to cut or change the ethnicity of minor parts if this comes in as an Equity rule on cost grounds; or change a major character's ethnicity to that of a minor character to double up.

Michael Bates (It Ain't Half Hot Mum) was born in India, worked in the Indian civil service and then the Indian army.  His Indian accent was authentic. Should someone like him be barred from a voice role because he has white skin?

Similarly I briefly worked with a white Jamaican in London. Full Jamaican accent but 100% white; it took some getting used to.

He could do a voiceover for a Jamaican character with his natural voice.

Wait for a British actor to stand up and declare that James Bond can only be a white British male. Scottish I believe. Or that Doctor Who should be a white British male? Will the BBC, Jodie Whittaker and the black female doctor bend a knee and seek forgiveness? Ah, it only works one way doesn't it. 

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Katee Sackoff was great as Starbuck so you did not even notice the character had been changed from male to female. Jodie Whittaker is rubbish as Doctor Who so you notice.

But there are new rules now - BLM and Hollywood have changed the rules. Unless it is OK to be racist and sexist towards white male characters... which appears to be the case.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Wait for a British actor to stand up and declare that James Bond can only be a white British male. Scottish I believe. Or that Doctor Who should be a white British male? Will the BBC, Jodie Whittaker and the black female doctor bend a knee and seek forgiveness? Ah, it only works one way doesn't it. 

Casting a black woman doctor is interesting.

Casting a white Othello gets you thrown out of Equity.