• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Is it right to discriminate on religion?

We're repeatedly told not to discriminate against people because of their religion. However to discriminate against a certain religion just seems sensible IMHO.

Some jobs require a certain level of cognitive ability. If someone has not eaten or drunk all day they are unlikely to be working at their best. I'd be unhappy if I knew an air traffic controller/ pilot/ bus driver etc hadn't eaten or drunk for 12 hours.... 

It it also seems crazy to employ people in roles when members of their religion have a tendency to blow things up. I'd be happier if certain people never had jobs in airport security/ nuclear power stations/ oil rigs etc.

I think employment legislation needs a rethink.

33 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

We're repeatedly told not to discriminate against people because of their religion. However to discriminate against a certain religion just seems sensible IMHO.

Some jobs require a certain level of cognitive ability. If someone has not eaten or drunk all day they are unlikely to be working at their best. I'd be unhappy if I knew an air traffic controller/ pilot/ bus driver etc hadn't eaten or drunk for 12 hours.... 

It it also seems crazy to employ people in roles when members of their religion have a tendency to blow things up. I'd be happier if certain people never had jobs in airport security/ nuclear power stations/ oil rigs etc.

I think employment legislation needs a rethink.

I avoid getting Ubers during Ramadan for just this reason.

Someon I know, his wife is a primary head in tower hamlets. She is required to attend meetings at the town hall. Some of the councillors will not shake her hand because she is a woman  this is religiously based. Mysoginism has no place in public life and I would argue that anyone exhibiting this behaviour is by definition unemployable 

Im OK with Sunday + wedding + christieings type of religion.

Once it becomes and everyday thing - and im including christians in this - Id avoid like the plague.

Past experience has proven time + time again they are bunch of cunts.

It really is bizarre that there are legitimate reasons not to employ someone and yet employers are meant to ignore those reasons...

Employees expecting prayer breaks is another reason to employ a certain religion....

The PTB are pushing the country backwards. They desire a population fearful of God for obvious reasons. 

All three religions represent a global mental health issue that result in death and degradation of this planet.  If discrimination prevents this mayhem then good.

Well...that's my opinion....Friday today...fish for tea. :) 

35 minutes ago, One percent said:

Christ, you don't false your own safety very highly. 

Wouldnt get in one on principle. I live near quite a few black cabbies. 

They all have private hire licenses and everything about the journey is logged - they'd be mad to try anything. I've probably taken more Ubers than I have minicabs or black cabs and not had any problems but I have had a sticky situation in both a black cab and a minicab.

Just now, This Time said:

They all have private hire licenses and everything about the journey is logged - they'd be mad to try anything. I've probably taken more Ubers than I have minicabs or black cabs and not had any problems but I have had a sticky situation in both a black cab and a minicab.

Guess I've been listening to the black cabbies too much. xD

the stories they tell about lack of insurance, inability to drive, crashes etc...o.O

But this happens anyway.

I recall a piece in The Guardian about a young Muslim girl who had tried to get plenty of jobs and who had been turned down for all of them.

She insisted on wearing her hijab. She ventured that, given that she was qualified for those roles, it had a lot to do with that.

Assuming that everything else were equal, and that this were true, the three top-rated comments went roughly thus:

"You say that your religion isn't an issue. And yet, you insist on telling everyone what it is. Might there be a way forward"?

"You say you've adopted British culture and values, but there's something you haven't quite picked up on - and it's that we don't like overt displays of religion, no matter what they are"

"If you're not flexible enough to dress for the interview, maybe your thinking is inflexible and employers could be concerned that you're unsuited to the job"

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Past experience has proven time + time again they are bunch of cunts.

Yep. Also those who mention their religion fairly soon after meeting them for the first time. Avoid.

3 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Yep. Also those who mention their religion fairly soon after meeting them for the first time. Avoid.

We have a great term for such people 

Good living for a living 

4 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Is being a Yorkshireman a religion?

As we know, they all seem to mention it in the first three lines.

(I am from Yorkshire don't tha know!)

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Is being a Yorkshireman a religion?

As we know, they all seem to mention it in the first three lines.

(I am from Yorkshire don't tha know!)

Yes.  

You can always tell a Yorkshireman. 

But you can't tell him much. xD

Just now, One percent said:

Yes.  

You can always tell a Yorkshireman. 

But you can't tell him much. xD

No, they're just telling you that they're from Yorkshire before you erroneously come to the conclusion there's something wrong with them.

Just now, TheNoSnowMan said:

No, they're just telling you that they're from Yorkshire before you erroneously come to the conclusion there's something wrong with them.

Now, that really is a racist comment. xD

im from Yorkshire O.o

It's a nonsense but it's a foundation of the US constitution because the US was mostly founded by people seeking to escape religious discrimination in 16th century Europe and it's gained traction from there.

But there are bad religions.  Thugees, Jim Jones' version of Christianity, sunni islam, and satanism IMO all of which shoudl be on the proscribed list.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

If you are paying wages I think you should be able to discriminate against whoever you like.

Sshhh. I have a sneaky feeling that is actually how it works in practice in the majority of UK firms.

20 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sshhh. I have a sneaky feeling that is actually how it works in practice in the majority of UK firms.

Fair enough, you could argue. More difficult to take this view with the public sector though.

Just now, LC1 said:

Fair enough, you could argue. More difficult to take this view with the public sector though.

Maybe so - I don't really know how it works in the Public sector

Are there a lot of people interviewing staff that they won't ever need to work with?

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Maybe so - I don't really know how it works in the Public sector

Are there a lot of people interviewing staff that they won't ever need to work with?

There are targets that need to be met...