DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Poles in UK fear Brexit and Covid may end 'British Dream' hopes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53150943/poles-in-uk-fear-brexit-and-covid-may-end-british-dream-hopes

I actually think this may happen. Not because of the BBC shoehorned Brexit excuse but certainly because of COVID.

Most of the working EE’ers are in either service or construction jobs. Both will be in thin supply by the end of the year. I envisage a fair proportion may take what they have and return home where the cost of living is far cheaper to countries like Poland which has also benefited massively from EU money the last decade.

You do however have a fair amount, that has set up for life here, whether that be because of children’s education or because of the benefit system. I just think the zero hour contract wage micky mouse jobs to access universal credit will be in short supply.

I can remember after the ‘08 crash, my friends brothers (all with self employed construction workers) all started working for family members as work was thin on the ground. I remember seeing then a reduction of EE construction workers on public transport. Now 2020 will be that magnified.

I just hope that with the onslaught of universal credit claims by the end of the year, the government won’t do anything silly like reverse s24 for BTL landlords. Our social/council housing stock has been non-existent for decades, and the amount of people requiring housing benefits will be phenomenal.

Edited by Sideysid
34 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53150943/poles-in-uk-fear-brexit-and-covid-may-end-british-dream-hopes

I actually think this may happen. Not because of the BBC shoehorned Brexit excuse but certainly because of COVID.

Most of the working EE’ers are in either service or construction jobs. Both will be in thin supply by the end of the year. I envisage a fair proportion may take what they have and return home where the cost of living is far cheaper to countries like Poland which has also benefited massively from EU money the last decade.

You do however have a fair amount, that has set up for life here, whether that be because of children’s education or because of the benefit system. I just think the zero hour contract wage micky mouse jobs to access universal credit will be in short supply.

I can remember after the ‘08 crash, my friends brothers (all with self employed construction workers) all started working for family members as work was thin on the ground. I remember seeing then a reduction of EE construction workers on public transport. Now 2020 will be that magnified.

I just hope that with the onslaught of universal credit claims by the end of the year, the government won’t do anything silly like reverse s24 for BTL landlords. Our social/council housing stock has been non-existent for decades, and the amount of people requiring housing benefits will be phenomenal.

Why would they do that? Surely if they're out of work now and have been here long enough to qualify (which isn't long) it's the UK gravy train from now...

59 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Have you been to Poland? I spent some time in Krakow over a year ago and I’d certainly choose to live there over a shitty city suburb and knowing that the UK economy was fucked in an increasingly degenerate London shithole. Immaculate roads and motorways, modern infrastructure, cheap cost of living and food, strong catholic family values, education etc (and pretty women).

Speaking to people out there, a lot had earned enough money to build their house from working in the EU and had returned. 

As I said previously, the only ones I can see staying here are the real benefit brigade that Poland wanted shot of or those that have kids ingrained in the UK system.

Yes asylum seeking immigrants from 3rd world countries would never return, but for EU countries with a lot to offer in relation to cost of living would be attractive to return to.

Very much so. Had a Polish neighbour who was here for about 5 years. Returned to Poland bought 3 acres by a lake and built a lovely home on it. A lot of his friends have been doing the same.

1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Very much so. Had a Polish neighbour who was here for about 5 years. Returned to Poland bought 3 acres by a lake and built a lovely home on it. A lot of his friends have been doing the same.

They will struggle to do the same soon, for the very reason of some of them doing it already. 

The cheap cost of living is not cheap. Speaking from a Czech perspective, food costs have just moved in line with Belgium. Rents in my town have pretty much doubled in the last 5 years. 

Buying a few acres in the countryside is still doable but then what? If you don't need an income then great. 

4 hours ago, Sideysid said:

Most of the working EE’ers are in either service or construction jobs.

No fucks to give about ANY EE. 

Don't give a fuck, whatever. Bye

1 hour ago, mattydread said:

This very statement ^^ underlines how the English(UK) have been fucked over by successive government's -  lab/cons/soros & all of the other nasty people in the world:) 

Quite obvious now - nothing surprises me anymore about the global shitstorm that is unfolding very quickly.

At least they can fuck off somewhere else when it all turns to shit, unlike the indigenous population. 

6 hours ago, Sideysid said:

Probably safer for them too.  Not because of Brexit though.  I hear their government believes they have a primary duty to protect their citizens, not to have them slawghtered on the altar of some woke ideologies.  Can I come too please?

Edited by Harley
2 hours ago, Ina said:

There is a large Polish Community in Barnsley.  I tend to meet them in Nursing Homes where they work as Carers.  Their game plan seems to be to come to South Yorks as a couple in their 20s.  Buy a house.  Have a couple of kids on the NHS.   Put the kids through primary state education and as soon as the eldest is 11 sell up and head back home.

The reason they head back home is their disconnect with uncontrolled mass immigration from Somalia and Pakistan.  They are very matter of fact about the shit show.

so it's ok for them to be immigrants but not other people, they can fuck off home too, they're just as disparaging about the English/British if you speak to them. Don't give a shit about EE, it's a myth that they are  generally hard working.

1 hour ago, Underwhelmed said:

so it's ok for them to be immigrants but not other people, they can fuck off home too, they're just as disparaging about the English/British if you speak to them. Don't give a shit about EE, it's a myth that they are  generally hard working.

Tend to agree, my experience is that they are clock watchers / do the absolute minimum required / no understand no speeka inglis when told to do something they don't like the look of.

Watched the video, doesn't make sense. Why didn't Kinga study accounting in Poland with lower tuition costs and lower cost of living? Polish cook had restaurant in Poland, did he think to check the insane rent and business rates that make such businesses very difficult in the UK? Zero hours agency dude seemed to be out of work anyway. It's almost as if they didn't make a cursory analysis of basics like wages to living costs before moving to another country. A cynic might say they had been fed tales of streets paved with gold and an over generous welfare state and didn't bother with boring details.

Edited by Caravan Monster
9 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Why would they do that? Surely if they're out of work now and have been here long enough to qualify (which isn't long) it's the UK gravy train from now...

That might apply to some. Most I would imagine would rather work for a living than sit around on their arses so, if there’s more chance of doing that in Poland, might well move back. That being said, economically, I’m guessing Poland is unlikely to be in a much better state than the UK right now and I’m prepared to bet that benefits are contribution based and lower too.

22 hours ago, Sideysid said:

Have you been to Poland? I spent some time in Krakow over a year ago and I’d certainly choose to live there over a shitty city suburb and knowing that the UK economy was fucked in an increasingly degenerate London shithole. Immaculate roads and motorways, modern infrastructure, cheap cost of living and food, strong catholic family values, education etc (and pretty women).

Speaking to people out there, a lot had earned enough money to build their house from working in the EU and had returned. 

As I said previously, the only ones I can see staying here are the real benefit brigade that Poland wanted shot of or those that have kids ingrained in the UK system.

Yes asylum seeking immigrants from 3rd world countries would never return, but for EU countries with a lot to offer in relation to cost of living would be attractive to return to.

I have worked with a few Polish building gangs in the Cambridge area who have taken on a lot of high end work in the best parts of Cambridge, sound blokes the lot of them. They tend to do 3 or 4 month blocks in the UK sleeping in houses they own and live like a commune where they arrange cooks and shifts etc, they make it work, then back to Poland for a break.

You can feel sorry for them, but I know few British who would do what they do in reverse, the photos I have seen of their lake side homes in Poland  and all the other farms etc  will make you weep, a few hard years rolling their sleeves up and many are set up for life.

Never had a problem with the Polish in themselves, at least they come to work and by and large they are very law abiding, sooner them than a lot of other s*** we have let into this country

2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I have worked with a few Polish building gangs in the Cambridge area who have taken on a lot of high end work in the best parts of Cambridge, sound blokes the lot of them. They tend to do 3 or 4 month blocks in the UK sleeping in houses they own and live like a commune where they arrange cooks and shifts etc, they make it work, then back to Poland for a break.

You can feel sorry for them, but I know few British who would do what they do in reverse, the photos I have seen of their lake side homes in Poland  and all the other farms etc  will make you weep, a few hard years rolling their sleeves up and many are set up for life.

Never had a problem with the Polish in themselves, at least they come to work and by and large they are very law abiding, sooner them than a lot of other s*** we have let into this country

Totally agree. My Polish neighbour is a top bloke, built up his business in the UK through hard graft and taking some business risks. We were chatting the other day and he’s planning on buying a huge plot of land in Poland, and building both a fuck-off house and a factory for the building products he currently buys in. Frankly, I’ve been wondering about offering to invest in it - one of the few people I would trust in a business partnership.

12 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

We used to not long ago, maybe will again...

22 hours ago, Sideysid said:

For the vast majority that was always the plan 

I know a Pole and a Portuguese lad that have settled here ,they have both said they could not understand why the we had such a problem with migrant workers when they first arrived ,they have now been  here over a decade now ,kids mortgage etc ,they now understand exactly why we thought that way 

They have done the proverbial mile in our shoes 

56 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Totally agree. My Polish neighbour is a top bloke, built up his business in the UK through hard graft and taking some business risks. We were chatting the other day and he’s planning on buying a huge plot of land in Poland, and building both a fuck-off house and a factory for the building products he currently buys in. Frankly, I’ve been wondering about offering to invest in it - one of the few people I would trust in a business partnership.

Seems to be two types of people in the UK, the ones who would live here in any conditions and die for the place, then the other type who don't give a f*** about the UK one way or the other, just some place to use and abuse and get want you can out of it and p*** off once you have finally done with raping the place