DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TV recommendations

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd never buy a TV without trying it hands-on. Reason being that for me sound quality, colour gamut, black depth and blah blah all pale into insignificance compared to... the lagginess of th

After singeing my screen with a blowtorch whilst trying to kill flys, it time for a new one. Cheap as chips, 55". No other criteria. Advise me oh sage ones.

As with mobile phones, I tend to buy one older generation of tech as it's cheaper and more reliable.  I still get the kick of upgrading, plus the kick of being cheap.  Works as long as I say out of pe

Posted Images

Check out the sound levels.  Many can be crap in volume and tone and require a soundbar.  MIL not happy with her Samsung.  Nor were we with a small one we had.  Plus the gory colour saturation was rubbish (more suited to a Bangkok night market).  And that magic angle thing was well short of any magic.  We bought a bigger LG last time.  Lovely.  

PS:  Why can't you use a shutgon like everyone else.

Edited by Harley
2 minutes ago, Harley said:

Check out the sound levels.  Many can be crap in volume and tone and require a soundbar.  MIL not happy with her Samsung.  Nor were we with a small one we had.  Plus the gory colour saturation was rubbish (more suited to a Bangkok night market).  And that magic angle thing was well short of any magic.  We bought a bigger LG last time.  Lovely.  

So the samsung your dragon in law bought sounded shit, your samsung was only good for Bollywood movies, but your LG is good.

Thanks, I can make a much more considered choice now based on such wisdom.

:P

30 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

After singeing my screen with a blowtorch whilst trying to kill flys, it time for a new one.

Cheap as chips, 55". No other criteria.

Advise me oh sage ones.

£379 from John Lewis with the JL 5 year guarantee. The gurantee is important. In 2 or 3 years when it fails JL will either replace with like - which will no longer exist - or they will give you £379 voucher for a new TV from them.

https://www.johnlewis.com/ie/hisense-h55b7500uk-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-play-black-silver/p4083360?s_afcid=af_47868&tmad=c&awc=1203_1593281242_d4236178095e1da721d63ff73ffcdc08&tmcampid=48

Edit: This was £329 2 weeks ago which was a heck of a bargain but still a good price at £379.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
20 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

So the samsung your dragon in law bought sounded shit, your samsung was only good for Bollywood movies, but your LG is good.

Thanks, I can make a much more considered choice now based on such wisdom.

:P

You want me to turn my whopping big TV around and read the model number (not that I think it matters).  Not fecking now!  Or maybe I misunderstood your question and the politeness of your reply went right over my head.  I can be such a hostile c*nt at times.  You really should get a Samsung 

Edited by Harley

I'd never buy a TV without trying it hands-on.

Reason being that for me sound quality, colour gamut, black depth and blah blah all pale into insignificance compared to...

the lagginess of the interface. Drives me fucking nuts using a TV that seems to have its menu/EPG etc running on an embedded commodore 64.

Don't care how fancy the graphics are, just want it to respond instantly when I press a button on the remote.

Can have best sound and screen specs in the world. If the interface has any perceptible lag, no sale.

2 minutes ago, Boglet said:

I'd never buy a TV without trying it hands-on.

Reason being that for me sound quality, colour gamut, black depth and blah blah all pale into insignificance compared to...

the lagginess of the interface. Drives me fucking nuts using a TV that seems to have its menu/EPG etc running on an embedded commodore 64.

Don't care how fancy the graphics are, just want it to respond instantly when I press a button on the remote.

Can have best sound and screen specs in the world. If the interface has any perceptible lag, no sale.

This is the real reason for me, the blowtorch damage is real but minor, but the menus have become slow and apps are now longer being supported.

Might be of use - buy any 55 inch TV from Currys before July 7th and you can enter a draw to get your money back. 1 in 20 chance apparently.

You have to wait X days to enter, have your receipt and do some other hoop jumping. But if you are prepared to do it and you are thinking of buying from Currys then it is something to think about.

Just now, GBDamo said:

This is the real reason for me, the blowtorch damage is real but minor, but the menus have become slow and apps are now longer being supported.

This is the crap aspect of these TVs. Does not matter whether you spend £250 or 5 grand you are just as likely to have your TV screwed by the company no longer updating apps and the OS. Hence I tend to advise people to buy the cheapest TV they are happy with.

These modern TVs also have rubbish reliability.

1 minute ago, Ash4781b said:

Should have used a samurai sword.

I had been impressing the missus by catching them with chopsticks but was starting to get cramp in the palm of my hand.

Next time I may bring out the katana.

I get fed up with nits on my PC screen.  If you ever see one, I recommend you attack it with a hammer.

fly.gif.a72c4cc96647095e818009549b2ebb00.gif

21 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I get fed up with nits on my PC screen.  If you ever see one, I recommend you attack it with a hammer.

fly.gif.a72c4cc96647095e818009549b2ebb00.gif

It just fell off and landed on my crotch.