DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Multiculturalism vs cultural appropriation

12 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Is it possible to only have Multiculturalism OR cultural appropriation?

For years we have been fed the line that Multiculturalism is essential, and now we're being told it's wrong to mix cultures.

One of my exes was hit particularly hard by PMS every time. I could do and say exactly the same things I have done and said before but they suddenly became very offensive to her. BLM, religion of peace, Greta and LGBT feel very much like that.

There is no point questioning the reasons as there are none, need to fight, ignore or leave it.  Or maybe wait for a week, see if it goes away. 

Edited by Bear Hug

I think a lot of the world are going to struggle when they have to give up all the ingredients that Europeans culturally appropriated from the Americas and gave to them. Indians will have to stop using tomatoes and chilli in their curries. Africans will have to give up cocoa, maize and cassava. No more sweet potatoes unless you are a native of the Americas etc 

Edited by Virgil Caine
56 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Is it possible to only have Multiculturalism OR cultural appropriation?

For years we have been fed the line that Multiculturalism is essential, and now we're being told it's wrong to mix cultures.

This is great. The further they push this the easier it is just to tell them to fuck off.

I think all Scottish people should be made to wear kilts, because they didn't invent trousers.

xD

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

This is great. The further they push this the easier it is just to tell them to fuck off.

I think all Scottish people should be made to wear kilts, because they didn't invent trousers.

xD

Brown loaves matter.

White milk is racist. Should we be able to buy milk in different shades?

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

I think a lot of the world are going to struggle when they have to give up all the ingredients that Europeans culturally appropriated from the Americas and gave to them. Indians will have to stop using tomatoes and chilli in their curries. Africans will have to give up cocoa, maize and cassava. No more sweet potatoes unless you are a native of the Americas etc 

I wonder what people ate, before we got tomatoes, and potatoes?

14 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Potage mostly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potage

The plants name is derived originally from the German, “Guter Henrick” and the existence of so many alternative names suggests that the plant has been known in Britain for a long time. As a crop, Good King Henry was a feature of many Tudor gardens and also played an importance role within the Anglo-Saxon diet. Historically the crop was valuable to poorer countryside workers and Scottish crofters who often turned to the crop for a source of nourishment after field clearances.

https://www.slowfood.org.uk/ff-products/good-king-henry-2/

I saw this and was voguely amused.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/0be9c483-15dd-4e70-9aa8-5b86df2b9d54

The article itself is fairly boring, not as it claims (it is a niche dance not particularly loved nor loathed around the world, and there isn't a rich history of it anywhere in England) and full of the usual unsubstantiated moans (austerity!), but to save clicking and getting a headache it is about:

Deep In Vogue: 'I carry voguing into every aspect of my life'
The dance form is loved around the world - but do you know about the rich history of voguing in the north of England?

Anyway, what amused me was:

"The reason we're called the House of Ghetto was me trying to take the word back - like the word 'queer.' I took that pejorative term that is placed on the black community and tried to turn it into something that's very special."

Uh -- I think the term 'Ghetto' refers to Jewish communities.  Now, I don't really care about this and understand that it is a historical thing and these days 'ghetto' is applied to all sorts of 'run down areas' -- but they're the ones crying about cultural appropriation, not me...

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

I saw this and was voguely amused.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/0be9c483-15dd-4e70-9aa8-5b86df2b9d54

The article itself is fairly boring, not as it claims (it is a niche dance not particularly loved nor loathed around the world, and there isn't a rich history of it anywhere in England) and full of the usual unsubstantiated moans (austerity!), but to save clicking and getting a headache it is about:

Anyway, what amused me was:

Uh -- I think the term 'Ghetto' refers to Jewish communities.  Now, I don't really care about this and understand that it is a historical thing and these days 'ghetto' is applied to all sorts of 'run down areas' -- but they're the ones crying about cultural appropriation, not me...

Term Ghetto was coined by the Venetians as I recall for the Jewish quarter in the city. It was a walled enclave subject to curfew rules etc not just some label someone stuck on a bit of a city 

7 hours ago, NewryH said:

So if I get a curry from the Indian that is actually owned and run by Bangladeshis - should I feel guilty (other than than the usual white man guilt I have about everything now)?

Who is appropriating in this example?

Depends what you get. As I’m sure most of us know most curries on a standard takeaway menu are UK inventions. 

Also most African/Jamaican dishes are off the menu as they contain pepper and rice, both form Asia.

4 minutes ago, gilf said:

Depends what you get. As I’m sure most of us know most curries on a standard takeaway menu are UK inventions. 

Also most African/Jamaican dishes are off the menu as they contain pepper and rice, both form Asia.

But if chicken tikka masala was invented in Britain by Indians where does that leave us? It's a pakora minefield. I'll have to check Twitter to see what I'm allowed.