• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

wherebee

How has the BLM affected your charity views

How has BLM affected your charity views?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Compared to pre-BLM and post BLM, what are you views on overseas charities funded by either your donations or your tax

• Used to support, now would not support
    • Used to support, would still support
    • Never supported before or after
    • Toc-H

So - One outcome of this BLM madness could be increasing discrimination by whites in the UK in terms of where their money gets spent.  The biggest obvious one is foreign aid and charities to Africa and other brown people places.  I thought it would be interested to see how peoples views have changed.

Me, I was always against famine relief.  Never saw the point of saving africans from famines without imposing massive controls on their country at the same time.

3 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Ethiopia's total population has grown from 38.1 million in 1983 to 109.5 million in 2018.

Bob Geldof should have sent boat loads of Rubber Johnnies instead of food.

Should have just sent himself, without a security detail............

Edited by Snark

There has been over a century of European and North American money pouring into Africa and it is worse than ever.

If you keep giving generous alms to beggars then they they are going to keep begging and more will join them.

This map of the big foreign aid recipients from wiki backs my theory about civilisation being a product of having decent winters and so needing to plan and prepare for them.

640px-2005net_oda.PNG

I never really donated much but over the years it became even less. 

The rules are:

1. Ignore any fundraisers unless there are goods / service offered in return. For example, happy to buy cakes when proceeds from their sale go to charity

2. Donate old clothes etc if cannot easily sell on eBay.  I know those shops make very little actual profit for the charities but it better for the environment than just throwing things out

3. Happy to support crowd funders for causes I belive in, eg litigation again Fergus Wilson etc

4. There are members of my family who rely on my financial support, they are priority, then friends if I had any that needed money

5. No charity until I own and fully paid off my accommodation

6. Do not sign reclaiming tax part when forced to make charitable donations to purchase a service, eg for visiting a museum. Not sure about that one, as taxes are not necessarily well spent either

45 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

2. Donate old clothes etc if cannot easily sell on eBay.  I know those shops make very little actual profit for the charities but it better for the environment than just throwing things out

You've got a bigger heart than my missus who cuts up and bleeches old clothes so they cannot be reused.

Mankind has a choice. We either continue to give aid to Africa and watch Africa's population increase and eventually the natural world disappears or we let Africans starve to death.

I'd prefer elephants in Africa rather than a couple of billion Africans. 

BLM has made me realise I really don't give a fuck about black people.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm a bit baffled by this concept of old clothes.

Mine go:

Good enough to wear to meet people

Good enough to wear outdoors for walks

Good enough to wear indoors and answer the door / work in the front garden or drive where I will be saying hello to people

Good enough to wear indoors but needing to be changed before answering the door

Rags for cleaning / car work

Bin

That's because your new clothes don't have fashion holes in. 

My partner and I give quite a bit to charity (but we don't like to talk about it :)), a reasonable portion of our salary monthly.

We have never really given to the big charities, it's generally local projects. We choose a different one each month, occasionally the same ones if we can see the good work that they do.

I think in future I might be a bit more focused on who I'm giving to, the message I'm getting is that I'm part of the problem for some sections of the community and so perhaps I'd be better off not giving to them so as to avoid giving them any moral issues.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

TBH it's not the BLM madness that put me off, it was learning that charity in general is not what we think it is, overpaid CEOs, a silenced majority in those countries screaming at us to stop funding the Islamist groups who roam around chopping people up to steal the aid we send so as to buy more choppy things.

This..

The only charity I gave to was "The Life Boats"  they were "my" charity.    Then they hired corporatist managers and got all woke,   spending money on beach frisbees and other crap..  while simultaneously getting rid of competent crewmen for having inappropriate coffee mugs.

On Africa,  I'd actually be happy to donate if I thought it would provide long term benefit..     I'm not against helping people of any colour if they are genuinely in serious need.  But I  don't trust the international aid charities to provide long term solutions. it  really requires global trade help.. get more investment and trade going there.   Get them jobs and factories..  not just hand out "charity".  Nobody wants charity..  they want the opportunity to build a a better future for themselves.

It has always been a necessary part of society to provide some support for those in need of assistance. The bible mentions tithes to support the clergy. Part of the duty of the clergy was to provide assistance to the community.  

These days we pay tax. The taxes, certainly in the UK, go beyond the need to pay to ensure our safety and provide for the infrastructure to support industry, trade and commerce. The amount we are taxed is far greater than 10%.

I see no need to give to Charities from any sense of obligation. 

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

This..

The only charity I gave to was "The Life Boats"  they were "my" charity.    Then they hired corporatist managers and got all woke,   spending money on beach frisbees and other crap..  while simultaneously getting rid of competent crewmen for having inappropriate coffee mugs.

On Africa,  I'd actually be happy to donate if I thought it would provide long term benefit..     I'm not against helping people of any colour if they are genuinely in serious need.  But I  don't trust the international aid charities to provide long term solutions. it  really requires global trade help.. get more investment and trade going there.   Get them jobs and factories..  not just hand out "charity".  Nobody wants charity..  they want the opportunity to build a a better future for themselves.

I think that's a very Western perspective, in many places around the world people are more than happy to just accept money.

I agree with your general point, but the former European powers left plenty of jobs, factories and the tools and infrastructure for African countries to survive on their own. We raped and pillaged our way across African because of it's abundant natural resources, Britain were only really in African out side of South Africa for less than a century, we left plenty there for them once we left.

In regards to African, the Chinese are spending a fortune over there... however unlike Colonial times they won't invest in the general infrastructure, they will invest in the bit they can make more out of and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I find it shocking that so many 'nice' people will give money to support people thousands of miles away but will cross the road to avoid a homeless person here. When I have pointed this out to people they nearly always think it is racist to think in that way.

I used to think like that,  until I gave a homeless guy £20 for giving me directions to a pizza place I was looking for.

On my way back after eating I saw him still there with a pack of beers clearly pissed off his tits.    I now believe people when they say homelessness in the UK is a choice..   or at least,   homeless people have bigger issues that can't be solved with charity.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I used to think like that,  until I gave a homeless guy £20 for giving me directions to a pizza place I was looking for.

On my way back after eating I saw him still there with a pack of beers clearly pissed off his tits.    I now believe people when they say homelessness in the UK is a choice..   or at least,   homeless people have bigger issues that can't be solved with charity.

Solved with booze. Job done.

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

That is not the point though. It is not a question of what they do with the charity but that people actually help the people in need close to home and not thousands of miles away. In an ideal world you do both.

The homeless man might be seen to be buying a load of beer but you could make an argument that many in Africa popped round to the 'off-licence' as well with billions in decades long charity aid.

30 minutes ago, Libspero said:

homeless people have bigger issues that can't be solved with charity.

Precisely. Poverty is a mindset.

We in the prosperous West are preoccupied with LGBT2Q+ rights, and are therefore extremely prosperous. If only the people of Africa did the same, they would be as rich as we are.