Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Barefoot running shoes?


Recommended Posts

so, being fairly new to running, I don't have a lifetime of bad habits to break, I've been concentrating on form over pace these past couple of months, and think my form isn't too bad.

I've been looking are barefoot running shoes, or minimalist shoes, I think the transition shouldn't be too bad as my form is quite good. Just ordered a cheap pair of Amazon that have loads of good reviews, just so I can try it out before buying a more expensive pair, such as vibram barefoot.

Incidentally, I think they got the price wrong for this colour, the others at £10 more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085DLD7Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the idea behind them appeals to me, and I'd think chimes well with other DOSBODDERs, basically nature did a far better job of designing the human body than Nike ever could.

Has anyone tried them? the pair I've ordered won't be any good for wet weather/winter so if I stick with it I will need to consider winter conditions, and I don't like cold feet :(

Going to use them for walking the dog for the first month, then start with a few short runs and build up if I'm enjoying it.

 

Edited by snaga
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 6 or 9mm drop shoes and I find they allow you to run naturally yet also provide a bit of support / cushioning that running on pavements etc can be helpful. 

I walk in five fingers quite a lot in nice weather but I wouldn't want to run long distances in them. 

Most important thing. Take it easy and build up slowly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear these for road. Seems a 10mm drop. Really lightweight and lovely to run in. You only really notice how big and clunky "normal " running shoes are when you compare them side by side.

 

I wear these for off road. Even lighter. 3mm drop iirc.

https://running.shop/uk/inov-8-x-talon-210-unisex-000708-orbk-p-01?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4G_gO2n6gIVGODtCh3KwwIDEAQYCCABEgIzqvD_BwE

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have some nike pegasus trail shoes, last years model so I got so good price. They are the first running shoe I have bought, rather than fashion trainers, so nothing to compare with.

I'm running to heart rate, actully using MAF method for past 4 weeks, seems to suit me well. Already taken 2m off a 5 mile loop I run to measure progress.

 

Edited by snaga
Link to post
Share on other sites

Best pair I ever had was the original New Balance Minimus(?) with soles that must have been 3mm thick.  Forefoot running takes a while to get used to but once you're adapted you'll never heel strike in a pair of moon boot Nikes again.  

I wore them out and never found the same style again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Loki said:

Best pair I ever had was the original New Balance Minimus(?) with soles that must have been 3mm thick.  Forefoot running takes a while to get used to but once you're adapted you'll never heel strike in a pair of moon boot Nikes again.  

I wore them out and never found the same style again.

yes, as I mentioned, I've been working on form, and I don't heal strike :)

One thing that surprised me, all these sport scientists are quoting 180spm is the ideal cadence, and this seems to come from someone counting the cadence of elite runners. Not exactly science is it, can these sports scientists do maths? here's a clue ...

image.png.5d533392e4580faed269092b04d000d5.png

 

seems to me there could be a dosbods start up opportunity to calculate individual optimal natural running frequency as it's likely to vary between individuals, height, weight, inside leg, weight of shoes … etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use vivobarefoot for the gym. They fit me well (are quite wide) and last many years.  I know someone who uses them for running also. 

Used to be reasonably priced when sports direct has them 10 years ago, now priced over £100 everywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

I use vivobarefoot for the gym. They fit me well (are quite wide) and last many years.  I know someone who uses them for running also. 

Used to be reasonably priced when sports direct has them 10 years ago, now priced over £100 everywhere. 

yeah, the price seems a rip off, but then they are made in the UK? or is that another brand?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Don't know many runners but the few times I was in a shop they seemed a bit wary of barefoot running.  Sounds good in theory and if you have good gait etc but not so sure otherwise... And surely our ancestors ran on more forgiving terrains than pavement.

Old hairdresser was a big runner but said he was going to stop the barefoot stuff due to age and worrying not so good for his joints at later age (50y)

I got a pair of more off road type shoes that I really like, pictured below by altara.  There zero drop as opposed to my normal ones (Brookes) and read that it could take a bit of getting used too.  Honestly they just seem to work and I've not worn the old ones once since.  The brand seems to be quite popular but maybe not the most durable (haven't noticed anything yet and the people writing the reviews are usually doing ultra marathons etc).  If you've got wide feet I'd recommend to have a look.

Just moved so no longer have an massive hill/ park near me 😭 maybe will try the canal or something but hope I can still do bit of trail/ off road type stuff

Altra lone peak

image.png.404898eed426d7e53a54d472dc1373f0.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the evidence in favour of barefoot running STYLE is extremely difficult to argue with.

That's different from actually running barefoot on concrete every day for twenty miles. 

I've currently got my first running Injury for maybe 2-3 years. And been running 60-80k per month.

This was my own fault though. Walked fast up a serious hill then back down again on very uneven ground. Then decided to do a serious fast hill run the next morning. Dimwit. 

The run actually felt amazing but still a dumb idea. Still it's only looking like 2-3 weeks rest so that's not a bad Injury record for maybe 3 years pushing things seriously hard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ccc said:

I think the evidence in favour of barefoot running STYLE is extremely difficult to argue with.

That's different from actually running barefoot on concrete every day for twenty miles. 

I've currently got my first running Injury for maybe 2-3 years. And been running 60-80k per month.

This was my own fault though. Walked fast up a serious hill then back down again on very uneven ground. Then decided to do a serious fast hill run the next morning. Dimwit. 

The run actually felt amazing but still a dumb idea. Still it's only looking like 2-3 weeks rest so that's not a bad Injury record for maybe 3 years pushing things seriously hard. 

What sort of injury?  I get the impression running is slightly risky -albeit non life threatening- and can give sustaining injuries.  I seem to have been lucky so far though a few years ago would regularly overdo initially and inevitably end up with something getting sore.

Hear you regarding bare foot in an ideal world but most of us have grown up moddle coddled in Nike's and probably have deformed ideas of normal stance etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

What sort of injury?  I get the impression running is slightly risky -albeit non life threatening- and can give sustaining injuries.  I seem to have been lucky so far though a few years ago would regularly overdo initially and inevitably end up with something getting sore.

Hear you regarding bare foot in an ideal world but most of us have grown up moddle coddled in Nike's and probably have deformed ideas of normal stance etc

I went back to complete basics many years ago due to getting continued injuries. 

Aside from the very occasional niggle mostly Injury free since then. 

It's just the back of my heel. Too much hill work. Will be back running next week. 

Your zero drop shoes should encourage you to run more naturally. Just do a Google or YouTube. Loads of vids out there. Basically toes forward and don't land on your heels first. But don't run on your tip toes either. That's the jist of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ccc said:

I went back to complete basics many years ago due to getting continued injuries. 

Aside from the very occasional niggle mostly Injury free since then. 

It's just the back of my heel. Too much hill work. Will be back running next week. 

Your zero drop shoes should encourage you to run more naturally. Just do a Google or YouTube. Loads of vids out there. Basically toes forward and don't land on your heels first. But don't run on your tip toes either. That's the jist of it. 

Cheers, that sounds like good advice will try to watch some YouTube for tips but kind of felt a bit defeatist in that you have a natural way of ruining (even if wrong) that's hard to change.

Definitely the zero drop things I felt great in (there was no period getting used to just worked fine).  Previously was doing kind of hill running or at least all on uneven ground and often up hill.  Think that's good for your core strength as your always continually moving around, adjusting, and using different muscles to keep going as opposed to just flat smooth surface

Anyway need to find some routes I'm happy with as still haven't been out since moving to a different area last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beware of trying to much too soon with the low drop shoes - many folk do this and pick up calf injuries etc before their body gets back used to how it's meant to run. 

I took 3-6 months going from maybe 500m or so up to 5k. Can't remember exactly but I took it very easy. 

Never looked back though. Properly life changing if you are a regular runner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Beware of trying to much too soon with the low drop shoes - many folk do this and pick up calf injuries etc before their body gets back used to how it's meant to run. 

I took 3-6 months going from maybe 500m or so up to 5k. Can't remember exactly but I took it very easy. 

Never looked back though. Properly life changing if you are a regular runner. 

I was previously doing about 5-7k but it varied and was all round the nearby hill (Arthur seat) a few times a week.  The last 18 months or so has been the first time I've perservered and not just done a bit in the summer.

Previously would always go too far too soon and inevitably end up with some calf/ knee or shin pain.  Went onto the zero drop altra shoes at the start of the year and didn't find any problem straight away transitioning.  Have just checked to confirm and they do say zero drop platform... The reason I got them more was for the good grip and being able to go off road in all conditions.  Haven't worn my others since which bit of shame as were fairly new too.  Interesting to hear zero drop may have benefits though, I do like I think.

Have just done my first run in a few weeks along more level ground so much less gruelling but definitely miss Arthur seat and the softer ground (went along canal, and into craiglokart dells which looks more promising for me rather than narrow canal and hard surface just have to run there first 😅)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ccc said:

Beware of trying to much too soon with the low drop shoes - many folk do this and pick up calf injuries etc before their body gets back used to how it's meant to run. 

I took 3-6 months going from maybe 500m or so up to 5k. Can't remember exactly but I took it very easy. 

Never looked back though. Properly life changing if you are a regular runner. 

I think you need to already be at a pretty low body weight and good lung capacity, otherwise your step cadence will be too slow and with the extra weight the impact is just too much. I don’t have any stats to back that up, just seems likely to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I bought a pair the OP shoes.

I've been running with 'normal' trainers (ie, not huge super soft things, but the sort of thing you'd buy for running in 1980) for ever, so it has taken a bit of getting used to.

I've been doing about 20% of my running in them since early July.  On the first few occasions I could really feel my hamstrings after a run, and I restricted myself to about 3k at a time (then day off -- about 5k after the zero drop, then 8k on days off).  I can feel that they've changed my running gait -- possibly for the better, but difficult to be sure.

I don't hate them and I'm still using them, but nowhere near 100% converted yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I think you need to already be at a pretty low body weight and good lung capacity, otherwise your step cadence will be too slow and with the extra weight the impact is just too much. I don’t have any stats to back that up, just seems likely to me.

What extra weight ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...