DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ancestry DNA - Golden State Killer

Genetic Ancestry..  ?

Worth bearing in mind..  your DNA WILL be cross-referenced should you ever end up on the wrong side of the law:

Joseph DeAngelo, the man known as the Golden State Killer, has admitted to 13 murders in a deal with US prosecutors meant to spare him the death penalty.

DeAngelo, who was a Californian police officer during his crimes in the 1970s and 80s, was arrested in 2018 after his DNA was found via a genealogy website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53226327

Not only that but lots of these gene sites have some kind of Chinese ownership and China is building a DNA database of Westerners. As a result the US military has now barred service personnel from giving their DNA to any of these sites.

At the same time there is the issue of insurance and medical companies - same thing - also gaining access to your DNA which, at some point in the future, may see your insurance/medical premiums rise or you even being denied access to such things. IIRC there was a stink about some of the DNA genes having, as part of their agreement, the right to sell on your DNA results to third parties.

Gee, it sounds like something important that maybe people should be protesting against.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of bullshit around DNA matching, and a lot of bullshit around this case too. If interested this website tells you how they did it, sadly (or not?) it's not quite how most people image:

https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/how-dna-helped-catch-the-golden-state-killer/

Finding several third cousins, he and his team immediately set to work pursuing the genealogy of those matches, ultimately identifying a couple that were likely the great-great-great grandparents of the Golden State Killer. Four months of traditional genealogical research finally led them to two men who could have been in the right place at the right time to be perpetrator of these crimes. When additional DNA testing eliminated the first, Holes was left with DeAngelo. A discarded cup with DeAngelo’s DNA produced a match to the original sample collected at the crime scene, meaning that Holes and his team had enough evidence to arrest DeAngelo, and provide closure to a 45-year search for the man who ravaged California with his criminal escapades.

That said, I'd still never send my DNA anywhere. I still cannot believe it took so long to get police DNA records purged for the innocent.

On 30/06/2020 at 04:22, sam1994 said:

For some reason my sister wanted to get me a 23andme kit for a present recently. My Mum said I would not appreciate it, quite rightly, so I did not get it.

The CEO of 23andme has a sister who is CEO at YouTube IIRC.

I thought about doing this, along with my sister to see if one of us comes out as Chinese, or Samoan. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these tests, but I don't want to be giving that data away to some anonymous company.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I thought about doing this, along with my sister to see if one of us comes out as Chinese, or Samoan. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these tests, but I don't want to be giving that data away to some anonymous company.

They are one of the few things that are genuinely about 99.99% accurate, and that's not just marketing spiel.

On 30/06/2020 at 02:11, Happy Renting said:

DNA will be so handy when people are screened for pre-crimes based on an opaque AI assessment that they are liable to be prone to criminality. Just lock 'em up.

That system won't last long as it will quickly prove to be racist. 

Really wanted a DNA test a few years ago - at least talked about it - but was heavily warned against for similar reasons as above.

Just wish there was a DNA test that was completely anon but maybe that's an oxymoron.  What I mean is one where you get the results in a brown envelope with all other copies binned and data scrambled to oblivion.  

There didn't seem to be one available - I assume the real gold mine for running a company is in the data they collect and retain for future use.  

Like a double edged sword at the moment if you want to pick up on some kind of genetic predisposition or just interesting fact.