• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

Ancestry DNA - Golden State Killer

Genetic Ancestry..  ?

Worth bearing in mind..  your DNA WILL be cross-referenced should you ever end up on the wrong side of the law:

Joseph DeAngelo, the man known as the Golden State Killer, has admitted to 13 murders in a deal with US prosecutors meant to spare him the death penalty.

DeAngelo, who was a Californian police officer during his crimes in the 1970s and 80s, was arrested in 2018 after his DNA was found via a genealogy website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53226327

8 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Genetic Ancestry..  ?

Worth bearing in mind..  your DNA WILL be cross-referenced should you ever end up on the wrong side of the law:

I think there have been quite a few criminal caught via family members sending in DNA samples to ancestory websites 

27 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I think there have been quite a few criminal caught via family members sending in DNA samples to ancestory websites 

Oh I see.....xD I thought he'd submitted his own

Not only that but lots of these gene sites have some kind of Chinese ownership and China is building a DNA database of Westerners. As a result the US military has now barred service personnel from giving their DNA to any of these sites.

At the same time there is the issue of insurance and medical companies - same thing - also gaining access to your DNA which, at some point in the future, may see your insurance/medical premiums rise or you even being denied access to such things. IIRC there was a stink about some of the DNA genes having, as part of their agreement, the right to sell on your DNA results to third parties.

Gee, it sounds like something important that maybe people should be protesting against.

For some reason my sister wanted to get me a 23andme kit for a present recently. My Mum said I would not appreciate it, quite rightly, so I did not get it.

The CEO of 23andme has a sister who is CEO at YouTube IIRC.

22 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

DNA will be so handy when people are screened for pre-crimes based on an opaque AI assessment that they are liable to be prone to criminality. Just lock 'em up.

You are Tom Cruise, AICMFP