• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Happy 'Get run over by a EE lorry driver' day

Just now, dgul said:

In what way is a rented scooter different from an owned scooter?

Yet one is allowed on the road and the other not.

Weird.

Some of these rental scooters are going to be knackered in record time and still rented out no doubt.  But the law will say that these are safe and legal whilst a scooter owned by a careful and law abiding individual will be deemed illegal.  Personally, if I wanted one then I'd just buy one and use it.  There's no number plate to display and the chances of being randomly stopped are pretty slim if you're riding sensibly - plus I'd recommend nobody stop for a copper if requested anyway because if you own it then you're going to have it confiscated ! 

Are these going to be legal on the M20? This road probably carries the highest chance of getting killed by an EE lorry driver into his 40th hour of driving non-stop with a reaction time of about 25 seconds.

If you're lucky you can spot the VOSA vehicles, stopping 1 in every 50,000 of them.

Can't see anything about EE lorry drivers in the article. Have you had a bad experience, spy?  Did they hold you up on a dual carriageway? 

Just now, Bear Hug said:

Can't see anything about EE lorry drivers in the article. Have you had a bad experience, spy?  Did they hold you up on a dual carriageway? 

Have you ever had a good experience with an EE lorry driver?

I suppose "almost getting sideswiped" may count.

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

In what way is a rented scooter different from an owned scooter?

Yet one is allowed on the road and the other not.

Weird.

If anything, someone with their own scooter would have more practice riding it and therefore be safer. 

Just now, spunko said:

Have you ever had a good experience with an EE lorry driver?

I suppose "almost getting sideswiped" may count.

I've never had an experience with any lorry driver. I don't work on a side of country lanes in Lithuania. 

Just now, Bear Hug said:

I've never had an experience with any lorry driver. I don't work on a side of country lanes in Lithuania. 

You should come to Kent, and drive for 2 minutes in any direction on a motorway, and see how many you can count. I bet it will be at least 50 on a 'good' day.

18 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I was looking for one drunk EE diver.

Found another

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-51082515

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/lorry-drivers-charged-drink-driving-18428025

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

You should come to Kent, and drive for 2 minutes in any direction on a motorway, and see how many you can count. I bet it will be at least 50 on a 'good' day.

My most common driving complaints are:

Slow in middle lane: almost always South Asians

Slow and braking at every sign or road marking at night: pensioners

All drivers in london

Cyclists

Drivers when I am a cyclist

18 minutes ago, spunko said:

They sure like to drink (allegdly), that's  all I know from TV cop series.

These rental scooters are popular in several Texan cities, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. They are a bit of a menace as they tend to get left lying about all over the place. Me and my son rented them in Austin, and they are great fun to ride.

One of the main companies is called Lime-S

https://www.li.me/electric-scooter

Recently I discovered a company in California who had purchased a large number of Lime branded scooters from the company, surplus stock. These were brand new in the box, the only modification was an attempt to cover up the Lime-S branding, and the removal of the gps tracker. I purchased 2 of these scooters for 400 dollars each. They are ninebot ES4s, with the extended range battery. They do not fold like the consumer version, but this just makes them more sturdy

Absolute bargain, and fun to ride too, took them to Corpus last weekend to tour the city. We wear helmets when riding, which is the exception over here.

Screenshot_20200630-100419.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-100348.jpg

These scooters are a fad. I'm sure they are expensive fun, until the novely wears off. Some think they are replacing driving. I would say they are repalcing walking. How much weight do they hold?

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

These scooters are a fad. I'm sure they are expensive fun, until the novely wears off. Some think they are replacing driving. I would say they are repalcing walking. How much weight do they hold?

Up to 100 Kg. Yes, they are to replace walking.

12 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

These rental scooters are popular in several Texan cities, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. They are a bit of a menace as they tend to get left lying about all over the place. Me and my son rented them in Austin, and they are great fun to ride.

I think that is a real negative for them.  Yet it is the ones that'll be left lying around (rental) are legal, and the ones that'll be carefully put away (owned) illegal.  Topsy turvy world.

I am a bit concerned about the speed -- IMO the human is fairly well adapted for 'up to human speeds', so to me it would make sense to have a top speed of about 10mph (fairly decent running pace), rather than 15mph (double the energy cw 10mph).

I also think that anything 'human sized' (ie, bike or scooter, but not quad-bike) should be allowed on pavements at up to 'jogging speed' (about 6mph or so).  I don't think it is particularly helpful/safe to have escooters on roads doing 15mph.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I don't think it is particularly helpful/safe to have escooters on roads doing 15mph.

I'm not sure how many points they are in "Death Race 2000"?

19 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Same in Germany.

Especially Düsseldorf. Scooters just left on their side on the pavements.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think that is a real negative for them.  Yet it is the ones that'll be left lying around (rental) are legal, and the ones that'll be carefully put away (owned) illegal.  Topsy turvy world.

I am a bit concerned about the speed -- IMO the human is fairly well adapted for 'up to human speeds', so to me it would make sense to have a top speed of about 10mph (fairly decent running pace), rather than 15mph (double the energy cw 10mph).

I also think that anything 'human sized' (ie, bike or scooter, but not quad-bike) should be allowed on pavements at up to 'jogging speed' (about 6mph or so).  I don't think it is particularly helpful/safe to have escooters on roads doing 15mph.

Mine can do 18 mph. Which is pretty fast. There are some slower modes for longer range. I tend to use the middle speed, which is good for 13 mph.

Yes, clown world not to allow private scooters, bit as it has already been pointed out, PC plod is he hardly in a position to catch anyone is he? What with him being on one knee most of the time....

Edited by Popuplights
Shit speeeling

28 minutes ago, MrPin said:

These scooters are a fad. I'm sure they are expensive fun, until the novely wears off. 

You will be able to order replacement novelty from Aliexpress.