DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Plymouth argyle after a statue of jack.

He missed out playing for England cos of his colour.

This one is possibly true, but it was rather a long time ago. Now that black footballers are proportionally over-represented in both the top clubs and the national team, so this kind of issue is obviously no longer a problem, can't we just call Jack's misfortune the past and forget about it?  :CryBaby:

No, of course we can't. 9_9

6 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

This one is possibly true, but it was rather a long time ago. Now that black footballers are proportionally over-represented in both the top clubs and the national team, so this kind of issue is obviously no longer a problem, can't we just call Jack's misfortune the past and forget about it?  :CryBaby:

The England football team has paid its penance towards Jack Leslie by calling up a Black player that was so bad he wouldn't have been good enough to play for the England Ladies team.

Ex-England football ace Carlton Palmer says former boss Ron ...

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Plymouth argyle after a statue of jack.

He missed out playing for England cos of his colour.

The story said he played in the 3rd division of the time 

I would image all the other players in that division missed out on England places at the time due to being 3rd division players 😜

5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

The England football team has paid its penance towards Jack Leslie by calling up a Black player that was so bad he wouldn't have been good enough to play for the England Ladies team.

Ex-England football ace Carlton Palmer says former boss Ron ...

Most unfair, Palmer was an excellent top league player for a decade, with an admittedly somewhat gangly appearance. I would suggest Michael Ricketts as being the worst ever England player, a reliable one or two goal a season striker for most of his career.

5 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

Most unfair, Palmer was an excellent top league player for a decade, with an admittedly somewhat gangly appearance. I would suggest Michael Ricketts as being the worst ever England player, a reliable one or two goal a season striker for most of his career.

8 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

Yes, agreed.

His problem was looking so ungainly when he ran so he was labelled as being rubbish by people not wtaching the game properly.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well I'm from down this way and I have never heard of him and I don't see why I would have done so.

This is an absolute nobody who might get a statue because he was black.

Clown world.

Bit clownist mate.

I nominate former Hartlepools United legend Tewfik "Toothpick" Abdullah for a statue - as he also missed out on a glittering England career by being forced to play for his home country of Egypt in 1920.

Oh, and for being pretty shit at football - but that's not the point.

We should rip down that offensive Andy Capp statue on The Headland, and replace it with one of Toothpick immediately...

person00001.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tewfik_Abdullah

http://inthemadcrowd.co.uk/UI/Person.aspx?oid=1

XYY

Read this today as well. Bit dubious due to the 3rd division thing. 

Also says he was included as a reserve but didn't go. Was that his decision ? If so then he may well have got a game. 

Who knows. I'm cynical of anything like this right now. 

If he did miss out due to nothing more than his colour then fair play he should be recognised.

I don't see how him getting fucked over is deserving of a statue though :Old:

People have been fucked over non stop in football for all manner of shitty reasons. Do they all get statues now...

On 01/07/2020 at 16:17, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, agreed.

His problem was looking so ungainly when he ran so he was labelled as being rubbish by people not wtaching the game properly.

I would also point out that Peter Crouch seems too tall for football.

On 01/07/2020 at 15:57, Malthus said:

The story said he played in the 3rd division of the time 

I would image all the other players in that division missed out on England places at the time due to being 3rd division players 😜

Playing in the 3rd division wouldn't have ruled him out. The last amateur to play for the full England team was in 1936. Bernard Joy.

The pay was so average that many talented players didn't want to go pro. How things have changed.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I would also point out that Peter Crouch seems too tall for football.

Good with his feet too.

I liked his reason for retiring: he wasn't being given starts rather he was being brought on for the last twenty minutes just to be a "head on a stick".

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Good with his feet too.

Part of the job, and probably quite an important one. I am not a great follower of this Limey Soccer, but I was watching a match with some chums, and pointed out the bloke is too tall for football. Serena Williams is also too tall for tennis.

Posted (edited)

Glad to see people sticking up for Carlton. He was a tremendous box to box premier league central midfielder - skill wasn't meant to be his main attribute. His long legs could tackle you from metres away! 

Admittedly, that doesn't translate to the international game. Especially when turnipTaylor decided to play him on the wing for England in one game

Edited by A tremendous # on the lung
19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Part of the job, and probably quite an important one. I am not a great follower of this Limey Soccer, but I was watching a match with some chums, and pointed out the bloke is too tall for football. Serena Williams is also too tall for tennis.

I think you've got your Williamses mixed up (which, for you, is surprising). Serena is only 5'9". 

43 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I think you've got your Williamses mixed up (which, for you, is surprising). Serena is only 5'9". 

Thankyou. You greedy bastard. Is 5'9 not big enough for you?  That's a good height for a woman. I did actually mean Venus, and she would be taller than me

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Thankyou. You greedy bastard. Is 5'9 not big enough for you?  That's a good height for a woman. I did actually mean Venus, and she would be taller than me

Do you have pictures of her on your bedroom wall, next to The Bay City Rollers...?

XYY

On 01/07/2020 at 15:44, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Maybe a statue to a white player then?

gbyh096.jpg

Of course, he was played by a black (half cast) actor in the filum ...

the-damned-united-20090127072934540_640w

40284359552929_1465825731418.jpg