DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Named as most of you will know after Pyrrhus of Epirus:

His name is famous for the term "Pyrrhic victory" which refers to an exchange at the Battle of Asculum. In response to congratulations for winning a costly victory over the Romans, he is reported to have said: "If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined".[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhus_of_Epirus

This one caught my eye recently:

Couple who spent £600,000 squabbling for two years over their divorce are left with just £5,000 each after legal costs

• The middle-aged pair, who live in London, split after 22 years and three children 
  • They spent £594,000 on lawyers in a two-year legal battle over marital assets
  • The 53-year-old man and his wife, 50, owned a share in a care home business 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8393155/Couple-spent-600-000-arguing-two-years-divorce-left-5-000-legal-costs.html

You would have thought that after £300k had been spent then two people in their 50s, however much they dislike each other, would sit down and agree something directly.

There is also interesting detail in there that wasn't in the newspaper article.

They were one of those debt-laden bling couples that we know so well; which maybe pre-disposed them to such a silly scrap because they were both screaming "Because I'm worth it!".

They lived beyond their means and built up debt, the judge said. Among the assets they argued over were a Mercedes car with a personalised number plate worth £14,000 – said by the judge to belong to the wife's mother – and £50,000 owed by the wife to her father, who paid for a bar mitzvah for one of their children.

When they parted, their divorce became caught up with a second row over the husband's management style.

He became unemployed after being moved out of the care home job and is now earning £32,000 a year working for a plumbing company. He has £122,000 in credit card debts.

The wife can no longer live in the family home, which has been sold, and will in future rely on her family to house her. 

The couple's arguments have also meant that the father's relationship with his children has been shattered and a dispute over them is continuing in the family courts.

Mr Peel said the sale of the family home had raised £630,000 but the couple, who are now living in rented accommodation, will have to pay their debts from the money. The wife owes £214,830 in legal costs, he said, and the husband £251,051.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There is also interesting detail in there that wasn't in the newspaper article.

They were one of those debt-laden bling couples that we know so well; which maybe pre-disposed them to such a silly scrap because they were both screaming "Because I'm worth it!".

......all helping to keep the economy going .... need more like them.......(?)

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

You would have thought that after £300k had been spent then two people in their 50s, however much they dislike each other, would sit down and agree something directly.

Some of the most successful lawyers are essentially confidence tricksters IMO..

Take people in a vulnerable situation,  tell them you are acting in their best interest,  convince them the other person is their enemy...  then quietly drain them of their whole life savings.

When lawyers are brought into any dispute,  the only people who ever gain are the lawyers.

15 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

You should stop listening to Carl!

Reminds me of the old joke: A Jew's wife found him reading a far-right newspaper. 'Why are you reading that horrible paper?' asked the shocked wife. 'Horrible?' says the Jew. 'On the contrary! Every time I read this paper I only see good news.' 'How so?' asked the wife. The husband replied 'I read all the time how the Jews control the banks, the Jews control the media, the Jews control the government....'

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Reminds me of the old joke: A Jew's wife found him reading a far-right newspaper. 'Why are you reading that horrible paper?' asked the shocked wife. 'Horrible?' says the Jew. 'On the contrary! Every time I read this paper I only see good news.' 'How so?' asked the wife. The husband replied 'I read all the time how the Jews control the banks, the Jews control the media, the Jews control the government....'

Haha, add far-left to that as well! 

3 hours ago, DocH said:

Cant help suspecting that their lawyers urged them on, then pissed off when there was no more money to be extracted from them.

Sounds like they used business insolvency lawyers. That is their usual modus operandi.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Named as most of you will know after Pyrrhus of Epirus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhus_of_Epirus

This one caught my eye recently:

Couple who spent £600,000 squabbling for two years over their divorce are left with just £5,000 each after legal costs

• The middle-aged pair, who live in London, split after 22 years and three children 
  • They spent £594,000 on lawyers in a two-year legal battle over marital assets
  • The 53-year-old man and his wife, 50, owned a share in a care home business 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8393155/Couple-spent-600-000-arguing-two-years-divorce-left-5-000-legal-costs.html

You've not met disgruntled divorcing.

A mate split with his lunatic wife. She literally ran off with the postman.

When it happened, me n the s female workmate thought it would be the best thing to happen to him. It was.

However, at the time he revving up to court this n that.

I took him aside and told him the best way to screw her over as to go with her estimate of the house, pick the most over pricing EA going, then get her to pay him 50% out.

The ex n postman Pat lasted 4 years before they went bust.

There is a side issue thats been mentioned across multiple threads - it's only the ott equity in peoples houses keeping them solvent. I actually think it's the OTT equity that's keeping them bust - they spend the increase.

Be brutal when HP fall in london/se

Edited by spygirl
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

You've not met disgruntled divorcing.

A mate split with his lunatic wife. She literally ran off with the postman.

When it happened, me n the s female workmate thought it would be the best thing to happen to him. It was.

However, at the time he revving up to court this n that.

I took him aside and told him the best way to screw her over as to go with her estimate of the house, pick the most over pricing EA going, then get her to pay him 50% out.

The ex n postman Pat lasted 4 years before they went bust.

There is a side issue thats been mentioned across multiple threads - it's only the ott equity in peoples houses keeping them solvent. I actually think it's the OTT equity that's keeping them bust - they spend the increase.

Be brutal when HP fall in london/se

Wow. You just talked 100% sense there. And there weren't many spelling mistakes.

I have two questions.

Who the fuck are you, and what have you done with spygirl...?

;)

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Wow. You just talked 100% sense there. And there weren't many spelling mistakes.

I have two questions.

Who the fuck are you, and what have you done with spygirl...?

;)

XYY

Fucking hell, you're not wrong. I hadn't actually registered who had made that post till I read yours!