DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Elephants dying in 100s - could this cause a new human pandemic?

2 hours ago, Vendetta said:

There is also the concern that whatever disease it is - has the potential (like many animal diseases) to cross the species barrier and infect humans.

xD need some extra fear on the BBC. FFS don't tell them about Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease, it's been in the UK for years, has around 90% fatality rate and kills rabbits within a day of infection, maybe that could cross species? :ph34r:

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Vendetta said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53257512

100s of elephants dying across Botswana and the cause is unknown. Evidence points to a neurological disease. There is also the concern that whatever disease it is - has the potential (like many animal diseases) to cross the species barrier and infect humans.

A great example of journalists* being morons who don't understand anything but the simplest of messages.  

I can easily imagine the interview:

Coronavirus has taught us all that diseases can pass from animals to humans -- will this one? 

Well, I suppose, but diseases don't really...

Okay.  So there's a risk that this deadly disease will pass to humans.

Well, not really it is...

Look.  Could this disease infect humans?

Theoretically, yes, but...

Thanks.  That's great.

[* I've no doubt that there are intelligent journalists out there, but very few of them are at the BBC.  I suppose the question remains whether they're not at the BBC because they only employ 'people like them' (thickos that have been to the right school) or because they're too intelligent to want to be at the BBC]

[To be fair to the journos, they might well know the reality of the situation, but just enjoy fanning flames]

Edited by dgul
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

A great example of journalists* being morons who don't understand anything but the simplest of messages.  

[* I've no doubt that there are intelligent journalists out there, but very few of them are at the BBC.  I suppose the question remains whether they're not at the BBC because they only employ 'people like them' (thickos that have been to the right school) or because they're too intelligent to want to be at the BBC]

[To be fair to the journos, they might well know the reality of the situation, but just enjoy fanning flames]

That's an intelligent journalist

The BBC page is getting views

Nothing else matters

And no actual lie has been told

Edited by Hopeful
17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lots of photos of dead elephants online. None look as if any other animals have had a go at the carcasses. I wonder if animals can sense danger and arer avoiding.

My first thought is whether the elephants have got the coronavirus.

It's possible. Won't know for some weeks. It's just the "What If" headline isn't good. Articles that start with a question, mean the writer doesn't know, and it's speculation.

The only thing this story is missing is the anti-China rhetoric. How about:  The evil Chinese are suspected to have released an elephant bio-weapon. The resulting abundance of Ivory is highly likely to be carved into massive dildos, dildos that will be used to systematically bum-fuck the great people of Hong Kong.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

To be fair to ‘the journalists’ - I wrote that part.

But yeah - you are right - I do just enjoy fanning the flames....

Nothing beats an ‘apocalyptic scenario’...... 😉

Posted (edited)
On 02/07/2020 at 07:49, Vendetta said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53257512

100s of elephants dying across Botswana and the cause is unknown. Evidence points to a neurological disease. There is also the concern that whatever disease it is - has the potential (like many animal diseases) to cross the species barrier and infect humans.

203CD58E-E6E3-4A58-8BFC-2745488D2B3E.jpeg

If that's an image of dead elephants right beside a watering hole then presumably for those particular elephants poisoning of the watering hole must be suspect (poisoning accidentally or on purpose or maybe just foul water for whatever reason).  Maybe other elephants managed to get some distance away from there before keeling over.

The surface foam or whatever it is looks like it might not be entirely natural.

Edited by twocents
19 hours ago, twocents said:

If that's an image of dead elephants right beside a watering hole then presumably for those particular elephants poisoning of the watering hole must be suspect

It could well be poisoning. Nobody knows yet.:Old:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

It could well be poisoning. Nobody knows yet.:Old:

It doesn't say whether they've tested the water.  You'd think that would be one of the first things to do - especially as they've put an image of it with dead elephants beside it

Edited by twocents
Just now, twocents said:

It doesn't say whether they've tested the water.  You'd think that would be one of the first things to do - especially as they've put an image of it with dead elephants beside it.

It's just to get yer £3 a month.O.o It's leopards, donkeys, dogs, cats, and elephants.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's just to get yer £3 a month.O.o It's leopards, donkeys, dogs, cats, and elephants.

You would think they would at least have fenced it off or drained it or whatever..

Another unsatisfactory article from bbc.

It's probably end up being blamed on climate change.

Edited by twocents
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

It's most likely "our" fault as a species. Simple fact is there are too many of "us" and we are fucking the planet up. 

Now let me get back to reading Stark, by Ben Elton. 

The only thing about that is that some people were killing elephants in numbers for their tusks when the human population was a fraction of current levels.  That is if in this particular localised incident they have been killed/poisoned and it's not a virus or something - we don't know the reason until the results of the samples.

Edited by twocents