DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Back to work, ye skurvy dawgs!

Dave Bloke

Long time lurking
20 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

Actually, I wonder if dogs got scurvy. After all, they would only eat meat if they could. Well meat, chocolate and ice cream. Maybe they eity don't need vitamin C or they produce their own.

Fat they need fat that`s where the minerals and vitamins are

Feed a dog or any animal for that matter just rabbit they won`t live for very long 

I think it was named warreners disease 

• 3 weeks later...

Breaking news (from Dept of stating the bleedin' obvious):  Workers don't trust their employers or uk.gov to make descisions regarding return to work.
https://www.personneltoday.com/pr/2020/07/are-brits-ready-to-return-to-work-research-from-dynata-shows-1-in-10-of-us-dont-trust-employers-to-make-the-right-return-to-work-decision-for-us-and-1-in-5-dont-trust-the-government/

• Agree 1

stop_the_craziness
45 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Breaking news (from Dept of stating the bleedin' obvious):  Workers don't trust their employers or uk.gov to make descisions regarding return to work.
https://www.personneltoday.com/pr/2020/07/are-brits-ready-to-return-to-work-research-from-dynata-shows-1-in-10-of-us-dont-trust-employers-to-make-the-right-return-to-work-decision-for-us-and-1-in-5-dont-trust-the-government/

I am in lots of ridiculous Zoom meetings at the moment where managers and workers are earnestly discussing the pros and cons of going back to the office with neither side saying what they really mean which is that the workers just don't ever want to go back and the managers are getting twitchy about it becoming a permanent policy.  Workers keep banging on about how "efficient" and "focussed" they feel at home and managers keep banging on about "lost networking opportunities".  Neither side believes the other.  It's very tiring.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 3

5 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I am in lots of ridiculous Zoom meetings at the moment where managers and workers are earnestly discussing the pros and cons of going back to the office with neither side saying what they really mean which is that the workers just don't ever want to go back and the managers are getting twitchy about it becoming a permanent policy.  Workers keep banging on about how "efficient" and "focussed" they feel at home and managers keep banging on about "lost networking opportunities".  Neither side believes the other.  It's very tiring.

I think it is making a lot of managers and heads of department realise all they actually do is go from meeting to meeting. We've got a new Chief Exec soon and if there's any opportunity for anonymous info feedback I'll be saying there's too many managers and too few analysts... 

• Agree 2

unregistered_guest
38 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I think it is making a lot of managers and heads of department realise all they actually do is go from meeting to meeting.

Perhaps it's just my own setting, but I'd say there are some management types who are pushing the QA angle. They need to be "hands-on" with the teams to ensure everything is running smoothly.

Meanwhile, in RealityLand; we bust a gut at the start of lockdown to put in place procedures so that they could add their input if required. Essentially, it was arse-covering on our part so that if someone did die, management could easily parachute another production unit in to take their place in our remote-working setup.

Fortunately, we never needed to do that, but...

...no-one from upper management ever popped in online to interfere offer their valued input. For all my team know, the management could have been sat in their gardens sunbathing for three months. I know who came into the office (and who didn't) because I can still choose to work from home or not. My team members with young kids didn't have that luxury.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

"lost networking opportunities"

They'd probably be advised to find a better terminology in the days of the internet(work).

• Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
6 hours ago, Stuey said:

I think it is making a lot of managers and heads of department realise all they actually do is go from meeting to meeting. We've got a new Chief Exec soon and if there's any opportunity for anonymous info feedback I'll be saying there's too many managers and too few analysts... 

A lot of management is managing change which usually happens gradually.

One of my main aims was always to keep workloads fair and balanced because they could go out of kilter if you had a flurry of external changes or a new system brought in whatever.

People may think they know their own job inside out and wnat to keep doing it without interference but that job only exists because of the business need for it; it may evolve into half a job or maybe two jobs.

A good manager knows what their staff are doing as well as the how the business and external needs are altering and is regulalry updating processes in response to extenral and internal changes.

I don't see how you can do that effectively on a remote basis where people would usually work within teams and are now mostly in isolation.

This "new normal" of everyone working form home has a limited shelf life.  A bsuiness that makes no changes for six months should be okay; one that makes no changes for six years will be left behind.   Too many people think that because they can do their current job perefectly well from home at present then they can stay like that for twenty.  Unless it is an utterly routine job they really can't and will find themselves out on their ear through not responding to change.

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
Just now, MrPin said:

:o

I have had many staff tell me, after I have left, that I was the best manager they have ever had.

I was, like most people, an absolutely useless manager when I started managing at about 23 but I learned from my mistakes, and from better managers, and kept improving as I went.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have had many staff tell me, after I have left, that I was the best manager they have ever had.

Bragger.O.o

All my staff told me was that I was funny.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not in this way I hope!

giphy.gif

No Franky, I am not like that at all. One best compliments I ever had was one of my juniors, who said he learned so much on my project, that all his college work sort of made sense, and he had fun. I'm not a slave-driver.

• Agree 3

On 03/07/2020 at 15:06, Rare Bear said:

Actually, I wonder if dogs got scurvy. After all, they would only eat meat if they could. Well meat, chocolate and ice cream. Maybe they eity don't need vitamin C or they produce their own.

They eat their own poo too

unregistered_guest
1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

mine are more sophisticated - eat their own sick

Ah, one of my favourite proverbs from the Bible - Proverbs 26:11

Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats his folly

It would look lovely as a cross-stitch sampler.

• Lol 2

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was, like most people, an absolutely useless manager when I started managing at about 23 but I learned from my mistakes, and from better managers, and kept improving as I went.

I'm sure you are a great manager Frank, but I'm sure I share the experience of a lot of people in that a vast majority of my managers over the years have been utterly shit at their job. I have had some brilliant managers also, but they have stuck out like a sore thumb given the general level.

While you might be right about the whole change thing... I'm not sure how that relates to a person being physically located in one place as opposed to another. Plenty of businesses work across multiple sites with no issue, working from home to some degree is just an expansion of those multiple sites. Businesses absolutely need to change and adapt, but I not seeing why having people WFH is a barrier to that.

• Agree 1

Just now, spunko said:

Sister made redundant yesterday, mate been made redundant today. Blimey, Boris you twat.

He doesn't care. For some reason this was the real objective. I can't imagine why, but it was.

• Agree 3

Roger_Mellie
On 03/07/2020 at 16:31, Popuplights said:

Well after getting up to 50% occupation at the ExxonMobil campus in Houston, the management have pulled back on the re-occupation, and now only people with their own individual offices can go in. Open plan wankers like me are working from home again for the forseeable. I have cleared my desk of all my personal bits and pieces now, just in case. 

Normal occupancy of the campus is 10k people. There are 3x 2500 space multistorey car parks. I believe it cost 4.5 billion dollars.

It's looking like a bit of a white elephant now. Have a look at this video to see what it's like. Try not to spew when the earnest American employees talk about how great it all is..

I don't think I'll ever be back in the office, apparently we're back up to the maximum 50% capacity just with 'essential' on site staff. My expectation is that the second wave will hit just as they're thinking of increasing the capacity and we'll be back to square one.

I do have my own office, which is a decent size (do you fucking really?:wanker:), so the bright spot is that if I am allowed back I don't have to worry about them knocking it through to create an open plan, collaborative workspace, which they were about to start doing. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm your mate - but you've not expressed any sorrow at me being made fucking redundant...!

I shall reciprocate in kind when you are forced to pay spygirl and onesie off...

;)

XYY

@spygirl @One percent

Have you been made redundant? I hadn't noticed....

:Passusabeer:

• Lol 4