DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Back to work, ye skurvy dawgs!

Dave Bloke

The Grey Man
18 minutes ago, spunko said:

Sister made redundant yesterday, mate been made redundant today. Blimey, Boris you twat.

Shit really is starting to flow downhill.

I trust they have some savings/ support.

Grim times and advancing

😭

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Agree 1

crashmonitor
17 minutes ago, spunko said:

Sister made redundant yesterday, mate been made redundant today. Blimey, Boris you twat.

Drove wife into work for a final open air  meeting, she is going Voluntary Redundant. They were supposed to incorporate a cafe visit in the meeting but that was closed.xD Not surprising really, all the staff are Home working til January so where are the customers.:o In fact Nottingham was surprisingly quiet, I crossed a normally busy dual carriageway on foot whilst I was there. The Covid depression is a bit more apparent in a city.

Well done Bozza and the blue pilled squad. Hope we have saved enough geriatics to warrant this economic crash.

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Well done Bozza and the blue pilled squad. Hope we have saved enough geriatics to warrant this economic crash.

I worked out last month that the price back then was £1400000 per statistical death however caused in reality.

Will have to do the exercise again to see how much that price has grown.

• Agree 1

Long time lurking
39 minutes ago, spunko said:

This is just the beginning wait until Furlough ends , this is why they are desperate to get everyone back out spending at any cost 

I don`t think they realised that the 20% less the furlough scheme paid was the equivalent to the vast majorities disposable income and a bit more of

• Agree 1

Wight Flight

Someone asked on Facebook today if the Woking to Waterloo train was busy.

Apparently close to deserted.

This was one of the most packed trains in normal times.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Someone asked on Facebook today if the Woking to Waterloo train was busy.

Apparently close to deserted.

This was one of the most packed trains in normal times.

Why would anyone go to London? Most of those commuters work from home now.

They didn't enjoy commuting and it cost them thousands a year. Nobody will be rushing back.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, Errol said:

Why would anyone go to London? Most of those commuters work from home now.

They didn't enjoy commuting and it cost them thousands a year. Nobody will be rushing back.

A lot of them will never be going back.

They just haven't realised it yet.

• Agree 6

If on furlough, I agree. It's not looking good. But a good number of those commuters are not furloughed and continue to work even better than before.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Errol said:

If on furlough, I agree. It's not looking good. But a good number of those commuters are not furloughed and continue to work even better than before.

Yes. Because they don't actually have much to do.

I am related to two of them, both in banking.

Coping very well with the 50% reduction in workload.

One percent
11 minutes ago, Errol said:

My two offspring, work up town. They are both working from home and say that they have more work now than they ever did. I guess not being distracted by working alongside others means you are more productive and thus the work gets passed round quicker. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I do have my own office, which is a decent size (do you fucking really?:wanker:)

I once had two offices.

True

Edited by Panther

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, gilf said:

I'm sure you are a great manager Frank, but I'm sure I share the experience of a lot of people in that a vast majority of my managers over the years have been utterly shit at their job. I have had some brilliant managers also, but they have stuck out like a sore thumb given the general level.

While you might be right about the whole change thing... I'm not sure how that relates to a person being physically located in one place as opposed to another. Plenty of businesses work across multiple sites with no issue, working from home to some degree is just an expansion of those multiple sites. Businesses absolutely need to change and adapt, but I not seeing why having people WFH is a barrier to that.

Maybe that was why I was a good manager.  I was actually interested in and cared about my staff.

That doesn't mean soft touch as I have sacked people and threatened to sack one guy two years running.

I was always very careful to notice when being temporarily pushed, as people should be, teetered into permanently frazzled and would step in and see how to reduce their workload.  If somebody wasn't themselves - smoking more, morose - then that was usually something at home and I would ask them about it and respond accordingly.  In one case they were a witness on a murder trial and had had, amongst other things, their tyres slashed.  I paid for a new set of tyres myself.

If one person on a job share was working like stink and the other doing very little then I would step in and equalise it. 

It wasn't about simple volumes; I had two in similar jobs one who breezed through it all and the other who would be flustered and working late.  When I took it apart I found the first one was just incredibly efficient; so i took advantage of this by swapping some of her work with that of the flustered one so she could streamline it and bring it up to date whilst demonstrating to the one working the extra hours that they had the same workload which might encourage them to work smarter not harder.  Though I didn't explicitly spell this out as it would have sounded like I was critcising her for working hard.

That is the massive problem with people working from home - all the best aspects of management derive from knowing people and managing them accordingly.  You are not going to pick up those changes from telephone calls and iit will be firstly the staff, but ultimately the business, that will suffer.

Of course some managers are not worthy of the name so it would make no difference in thair case. 

I was a good manager and worked for several good managers so know how to run a good team; and to do that you need to be working with them and noticing what they do.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The crapper is not an office.

Sorry.

One was light wood the other was dark wood; decisions, decisions

Hollingsworth lake was absolutely heaving today.

Oldham hospital car park was packed too.

Loads of traffic jams but that's mostly stupid road works.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Sorry to hear this.  I'm not in the best of moods today after reading about the teachers pay rise.  Half of my family are teachers and have done sweet fa for months (apart from one who is a headmaster) and are now on their summer holidays.  Meanwhile I've had to work right through this whole thing.  Bonus was cancelled in May, pay rise cancelled this month and now at risk of redundancy as they've announced 10% across the board are going...brilliant.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm your mate - but you've not expressed any sorrow at me being made fucking redundant...!

I shall reciprocate in kind when you are forced to pay spygirl and Onesie off...

;)

XYY

@spygirl @One percent

Me n onsie are a crack DSS team, making sure you are applying for jobs.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

5 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Sorry to hear this.  I'm not in the best of moods today after reading about the teachers pay rise.  Half of my family are teachers and have done sweet fa for months (apart from one who is a headmaster) and are now on their summer holidays.  Meanwhile I've had to work right through this whole thing.  Bonus was cancelled in May, pay rise cancelled this month and now at risk of redundancy as they've announced 10% across the board are going...brilliant.

In my opinion favouritism towards certain sectors of the workforce is going to cause a lot of trouble as this crisis unfolds.

Seems to be public sector ok, no worries.....lots in the private sector facing the chop.

Teachers are backed by union......not safe to work etc.....a government bribe to get them back to work. Needed for childcare!

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

I haven't signed on yet daft lad.

I'm good for six months before I have to go anywhere near the Nash...

XYY

Have you fixed your glasses with some scabby old plaster?

• Lol 2

One percent
3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I haven't signed on yet daft lad.

I'm good for six months before I have to go anywhere near the Nash...

XYY

Have you factored getting your stamp credited into that?  Not that it’s worth much but it might make the difference between getting 50 pence. 

• Agree 2