DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pay coconuts get monkeys

So, Boris's current fluff has come out with some statement about not eating coconut oil collected by monkeys.

I did think this sounded a bit 'April fool', but apparently it is actually a thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53276071

Anyway, I'm not sure about all this.  Is it actually bad to use monkeys to do a bit of work, in return (presumably) for a bit of food / shelter?  Is it worse than eating animals?  Is it worse than buying stuff made in a sweatshop?  What about farm or hunting dogs?  Or cats used to control mice? etc etc.

I do think they shouldn't be abused, but that's a different issue.  I just don't think I've got a problem with it at a fundamental level.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

So, Boris's current fluff has come out with some statement about not eating coconut oil collected by monkeys.

I did think this sounded a bit 'April fool', but apparently it is actually a thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure about all this.  Is it actually bad to use monkeys to do a bit of work, in return (presumably) for a bit of food / shelter?  Is it worse than eating animals?  Is it worse than buying stuff made in a sweatshop?  What about farm or hunting dogs?  Or cats used to control mice? etc etc.

I do think they shouldn't be abused, but that's a different issue.  I just don't think I've got a problem with it at a fundamental level.

They will just have to use people then who are shitter at it and get paid pennies. Progress. 

I don't see a problem with using monkeys in general long as they are well looked after and rewarded. 

I remember the media were all over the giant rats used to find landmines stories. Thought it was absolutely fabulous. Why is this any different ? 

If I was an animal and offered that choice - give me the coconuts any day over the mass explosives :D

sniffy-rat.PNG

14 minutes ago, dgul said:

From the article, that appears to be the issue.

Seems to me that it should be possible (and much more interesting) to train intelligent animals like monkeys to get the coconuts voluntarily.

1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

From the article, that appears to be the issue.

Seems to me that it should be possible (and much more interesting) to train intelligent animals like monkeys to get the coconuts voluntarily.

Yes.  But you've got to actually read it.  The knee-jerk reaction is to get shops to say 'don't buy your coconut oil if it is sourced from Thailand' -- but that approach is unlikely to actually have any impact.  UK shops will source from elsewhere, but it won't make much different to the situation in Thailand -- It probably won't help the abused monkeys.

If they wanted to actually make a difference they'd have been better advised to work with Thai suppliers to improve animal husbandry conditions in their country.

Just now, invalid said:

My claim to fame is that I was once attacked by a monkey in India.

It ran up behind me and kicked me in the butt. Yes, really.

They are cheeky bastards. They will grab your camera, and hold you to ransom for a banana.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

"These curious, highly intelligent animals are denied psychological stimulation, companionship, freedom, and everything else that would make their lives worth living, all so that they can be used to gather coconuts," ...

Monkey lock down.