DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Your ideal house

spunko

Everyone has their idea of what it looks like, if money is no object. I personally wouldn't ever live in a huge house - been there done that to an extent and it was bloody lonely and cold!

Here's mine. A do-er upper with loads of history and secluded/private: 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66970784.html

Went Under Offer very quickly as I thought it would. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Here's mine. A do-er upper with loads of history and secluded/private: 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66970784.html

I love that bathroom! If I had bought it the bathroom wouldn't change too much. B| And you say you wouldn't want a big house? That's got 8 bedrooms!

I really wouldn't want a big place. My dream house would have just 1 large bedroom but will also have a utility room and a bathroom big enough for a 4 piece suite post renovation. I quite like this overpriced 1970s museum piece:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58960498.html

Parquet flooring, for the win! :)

12 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I love that bathroom! If I had bought it the bathroom wouldn't change too much. B| And you say you wouldn't want a big house? That's got 8 bedrooms!

I really wouldn't want a big place. My dream house would have just 1 large bedroom but will also have a utility room and a bathroom big enough for a 4 piece suite post renovation. I quite like this overpriced 1970s museum piece:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58960498.html

Parquet flooring, for the win! :)

I like that, it doesn't look like it has been touched since 1975, in a good way!

Caravan Monster

I gave up looking at rightmove years ago as the prices went further and further out of my reach, but always wondered how to find my perfect set up. I only need a tiny place to live in, but a bit (say 1/4 acre) of a yard / garden and a good size workshop for work and pleasure purposes would be very helpful. Trouble being anywhere like that would either have 3 houses jammed onto the site or be sold for insane money for the (vague) promise of residential planning permission.

I would require a win on premium bonds or lottery for my ideal home. I would want a high quality bespoke log cabin type home in a remote place in a coastal area of Scotland but fairly accessible to a major town. 

No interest in acquiring possessions these days so my home would be minimal in furnishings and no more than three bedrooms. I would want a fairly small home even if I was a millionaire and could pay for cleaning/gardening etc. 

Something like this http://www.caledonialoghomes.co.uk/products/post-beam-log-homes

Horrified Onlooker
3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Is that for the whole thing?

I'm from kent and that looks like a steal. Easily twice the price down here...

I moved from North Essex last year, I'm still adjusting to the 'value' here....

One percent
5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What's it worth after its been modernised?

If you have to enqire as to price, you can't afford it. B|

swiss_democracy_for_all

https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/35198671/

A bit ostentatious for my tastes but ticks all boxes.

Great surf beaches close by. Superb beautiful city with fabulous food and a bit of "kulcha". Civilised friendly country with easily learned language(well, not Basque but Spanish at least) Land and lush green climate, far from perfect but better than the UK. Vineyards around - good ones inland where it's drier. Indoor swimming pool for winter days when wild swimming doesn't appeal.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

A lot of pine there. Nice area though!

It was done out as a B&B by the present owners, hence the silly ensuites and decor. Was a proper small holding until it got sold after my parents divorce. All the outbuildings bar one (the stable block my dad built with cavity walls etc in anticipation of one day converting it) have gone now too, and a lot of the trees :( Far too "City dwellers playing country folk" now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2017 at 08:42, spunko2010 said:

I like that, it doesn't look like it has been touched since 1975, in a good way!

I don't think our house has been touched since 1975, judging by the wallpaper. Still got polystyrene ceiling tiles in every single room too. 

House was built around 1952 I think. 

We've been here about seven years, and haven't done anything. 

Some are going to think I'm kidding myself or not being honest but my ideal house is the one we live in now.

It's nothing all that amazingly fancy but it has a lot going for it. It's in the city I want, at the right side of the city, has a front and back garden, a garage, four bedrooms and has a communal gardens at the end of our back garden. It's perfect for our children with the (huge, gated) communal gardens and has a real community with events throughout the year. 

It still needs some work to finish it off, new internal doors, sorting the garden out. etc. Still, it's as close to perfection as I need and want.

Just got to make sure the mortgage gets paid....

If things go well money wise I have grand plans to convert the garage, add a cinema room/bar and maybe a conservatory. I am happy there though without any of that.

Obviously if I was to be given a house of my choice I would pick a huge mansion. I would sell it though and move back to our current house with money to pay off the mortgage and money left to play with.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a 2-bedroom off-grid bungalow. It doesn't have to look beautiful but the view should,

to tick all the boxes

1) located very near to, or by, a rocky coast with a mooring nearby for a small displacement fishing boat, although preferably the bungalow would have its own slipway and mooring.

2) about 3/4-1 acre of good quality, south-facing land

3) It's own water

4) Solar and passive heating

5) A separate outbuilding for a 'garden office' (could be added of course)

6) A small garden observatory (always wanted one),

7) In a place with a climate no worse than the UK southwest and experiencing seasons

Archived