DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Brain eating/terrifying fake pandemic in waiting thread (merged)

The concerted effort to keep the population in fear continues (Elephant disease, New Flu..... and now the bubonic plague ....ffs....!)......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53303457

Authorities in China have stepped up precautions after a city in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region confirmed one case of bubonic plague.

According to state reports, the Bayannur patient - a herdsman - is in quarantine and in a stable condition.

Officials issued a Level 3 warning, the second-lowest in a four-tier system.

The bubonic plague, caused by bacterial infection, can be deadly, but can be treated with commonly available antibiotics. 

The new case was first reported as suspected bubonic plague on Saturday at a hospital in Urad Middle Banner, in Bayannur city. 

It is not yet clear how or why the patient might have become infected. 

The level 3 alert forbids the hunting and eating of animals that could carry plague and calls on the public to report suspected cases.

Fatal but treatable 

Cases of bubonic plague are periodically reported around the world. 

Madagascar saw more than 300 cases during an outbreak in 2017.

In May last year, two people in the country of Mongolia died from the plague, which they contracted after eating the raw meat of a marmot - a type of rodent.

A World Health Organization official in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia, had told the BBC that raw marmot meat and kidney was thought to be a folk remedy for good health. 

The rodent is a known carrier of the plague bacteria, and is commonly associated with plague cases in the country. Hunting marmots is illegal.

The bubonic plague is characterised by swollen lymph nodes. It can be hard to identify in its early stages because symptoms, which usually develop after three to seven days, are flu-like.

But it's unlikely the bubonic plague - infamously known as the Black Death - will lead to an epidemic. 

"Unlike in the 14th Century, we now have an understanding of how this disease is transmitted," Dr Shanti Kappagoda, an infectious diseases doctor at Stanford Health Care, told news site Heathline. 

"We know how to prevent it. We are also able to treat patients who are infected with effective antibiotics."

The Black Death caused about 50 million deaths across Africa, Asia and Europe in the 14th Century.

Its last terrifying outbreak in London was the Great Plague of 1665, which killed about a fifth of the city's inhabitants. In the 19th Century there was a plague outbreak in China and India, which killed more than 12 million.

5A5D5D15-B9D8-4A1C-9DEC-6699796A1663.jpeg

Posted (edited)

And another one...  (elephant disease, new flu, plague.... what’s next in the list of diseases that could kill us...?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53302773

2149A9B5-A555-45CB-8EAF-FD95C3DAACBD.jpeg

A case of a rare brain-eating amoeba has been confirmed in Florida, according to health officials in the US state.

The Florida Department of Health (DOH) said one person in Hillsborough County had contracted Naegleria fowleri.

The microscopic, single-celled amoeba can cause an infection of the brain, and is usually fatal.

Commonly found in warm freshwater, the amoeba enters the body through the nose.

The DOH did not outline where the infection was contracted, or the patient's condition. The amoeba cannot be passed from person to person.

Infections are typically seen in southern US states. They are rare in Florida, where only 37 cases have been reported since 1962.

But given the potentially deadly consequences of infection, the DOH issued a warning to residents of Hillsborough County on 3 July.

Health officials urged locals to avoid nasal contact with water from taps and other sources.

This includes bodies of open water such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals, where infections are more likely in the warmer summer months of July, August and September.

A microscopic image of Naegleria fowleriImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionNaegleria fowleri infections are usually fatal

Those infected with Naegleria fowleri have symptoms including fever, nausea and vomiting, as well as a stiff neck and headaches. Most die within a week.

The DOH has urged people who experience those symptoms to "seek medical attention right away, as the disease progresses rapidly".

"Remember, this disease is rare and effective prevention strategies can allow for a safe and relaxing summer swim season," the DOH said.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare in the US, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Between 2009 and 2018, only 34 infections were reported in the country. Of those cases, 30 people were infected by recreational water, three after performing nasal irrigation with contaminated tap water, and one person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard slip-n-slide, the CDC said.

Edited by Vendetta
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Sounds like swimming in lakes. You can catch all sorts.

I have often thought that could be one role of the foreskin

The evolutionary significance of the foreskin is often debated

But it could protect a way of parasitic entry.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

That's a horrible thought. I believe there are small spiky fish that will swim up yer snake's eye and get stuck. Another reason not to visit South America.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's a horrible thought. I believe there are small spiky fish that will swim up yer snake's eye and get stuck. Another reason not to visit South America.

You just reminded me of Geography lessons at school, the teacher Mrs (can't remember her name) used to love telling us tales about far away places and The Penis Fish was one of her favourites.

vandella-cirrhosa-candiru.jpg

It’s also only about an inch and a half long, though don’t mistake its small size for weakness. This little fishy packs a punch.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/candiru

First they came for the old, obese and Vitamin D-deficient but I did not speak up as I was none of those. 

Next they came for the elephants and I did not speak up because I have small ears. 

Then they came for the circumcised and I did not speak up as I'm a man and we don't discuss such things outside the locker room. 

Finally they came for me but I was already dead, having fearfully locked myself away for 3 months without prepping first. 

6 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Oh please not another another sub forum 😂😂

Spunko can just rename this one to Plagues Sub Forum. Cover all eventualities. Better still Pestilences Sub Forum, allows for things like plagues of frogs and things.

On 06/07/2020 at 08:59, Hopeful said:

No that's so certain deviants can post video's on the internet of nailing it to boards/walls etc.

So a friend told me.

There are loads of these articles appearing now I've noticed. It seems to be the new moral panic for those who were terrified about COVID-19.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8508129/Unknown-pneumonia-said-deadlier-coronavirus-sweeping-Kazakhstan.html

Let's have a thread for the #fakenews peddling #fakeviruses , they will surely create a few more panics - I shall declare it this thread as such and merge in some more.

Naturally they will all fizzle out after a few days, Covid being the exception to the rule, but 99% of all these "virus scares" have amounted to absolutely nothing over the years.

• spunko changed the title to Brain eating/terrifying fake pandemic in waiting thread (merged)