DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Elf n safety boobs - post 'em up

Tower crane collapses flattering flat-pack homes that were being erected. Initial reports say 1 dead, updated to 4.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8502645/Massive-crane-collapses-homes-Bow-east-London-leaving-one-man-seriously-injured.html

I thought the reason everything theses days took so long was to make everything safe using lots of red tape, the new system is no more perfect than the old one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Misleading thread title.. Easily fixed.

Luckily the OP didn't say cock ups.

That's it, I'm out of this thread before XYY turns up.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Andersen said:

Tower crane collapses flattering flat-pack homes that were being erected. Initial reports say 1 dead, updated to 4.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8502645/Massive-crane-collapses-homes-Bow-east-London-leaving-one-man-seriously-injured.html

I thought the reason everything theses days took so long was to make everything safe using lots of red tape, the new system is no more perfect than the old one.

Who said it was perfect?

You've only got to look at the stats, modern EHS procedures at work save lives and prevent injuries.

It's easy to get blase about it, but imagine if it was someone close to you that went to work and never came back because they got killed in an innocuous, easily preventable accident.

9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Who said it was perfect?

You've only got to look at the stats, modern EHS procedures at work save lives and prevent injuries.

It's easy to get blase about it, but imagine if it was someone close to you that went to work and never came back because they got killed in an innocuous, easily preventable accident.

It has it`s good side but in a lot of cases common sense left the game years ago and that is a problem

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Common sense like what?

I get it all the time ,working somewhere that should be classed as a confined space which should have a rescue plan in place ,nahh they say it`s OK but put your safety glasses on or you will be thrown of site ,the list goes on and on 

Text book trained plastic policemen 

19 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I get it all the time ,working somewhere that should be classed as a confined space which should have a rescue plan in place ,nahh they say it`s OK but put your safety glasses on or you will be thrown of site ,the list goes on and on 

Text book trained plastic policemen 

I find that astonishing. Particularly confined space entry, EHS 101. Dont you have a permit to work or anything like that?

To me that's not common sense that's lacking, it's basic procedure.

12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I find that astonishing. Particularly confined space entry, EHS 101. Dont you have a permit to work or anything like that?

To me that's not common sense that's lacking, it's basic procedure.

I have seen it all from the point it`s that strict even the simplest jobs become  almost impossible 

And the other end of the scale where there are not even block  permits /isolation to sign on to and no permits whatsoever 

2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Who said it was perfect?

Hang about, weren’t you the one thinking of renting a Stihl saw?!

Agreed on the main point.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

There’s a balance.

Most people’s experience of HSE is being forced to watch pointless and unnecessarily detailed orientation videos, littering the walls with safety posters and memos,  and attending meetings about whether there should be more lighting in the staff car park..   which is neither owned nor managed by the company in question anyway.

If HSE were just quiet, competent people who stepped in every now and again and said,  “hey guys,  don’t disconnect the fire alarm to plug in your toaster..” I think they might get more of the respect they desire.

IME HSE is mostly just tick box stuff that any monkey in a high-vis can be trained in. No practical experience or understanding of the business required.   Which is a shame.

When our place eventually got an HSE officer,  the first reported “incident” was of the HSE officer leaving the keys to the high voltage (3 phase) cabinet in the cabinet door.   Make of that what you will.

Edited by Libspero
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

I have seen it all from the point it`s that strict even the simplest jobs become  almost impossible 

And the other end of the scale where there are not even block  permits /isolation to sign on to and no permits whatsoever 

Our gutters are blocked, we live in a small block of flats, 3 stories.

There are the options

1. 2 people and a ladder and bucket for 20 minutes

2. Scaffolding at a cost of £30,000, which during the construction of the scaffolders will be far more at risk for longer than the people with a ladder.

Anybody who thinks that £30,000 is a joke I'm happy to provide the costing from the management company. It's not high but there is a lot of frontage.

----------

I do agree however for the most part HSE is a good thing.

Edited by gilf