DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Am enjoying the replay of Ian Hislop’s “Stiff upper lip” series. 

Is it a coincidence that the zenith of British power, skill, influence and respect coincided with the zenith of this idea?

I don’t think so.

We are being undermined from within, and it’s been going on for many decades. 

I don’t suggest that there were no casualties of this attitude, there surely were many. But was it best for the nation overall? I think yes. What say the Dosbodders?

I wonder if Hislop covers this one:

Lord Uxbridge: By God, Sir. I've lost my leg.

Duke of Wellington: By God, Sir. So you have.

The above exchange at Waterloo puts Nelson to shame. Peak Stiff Upper Lip was clearly 1815 and it's been downhill journey towards post-modern self-loathing ever since.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have no time for him.

Peter Cook's last big joke was to make this humourless establishment prig editor of Private Eye.

I was unsurprised to find that the one terminally unfunny running sketch of the otherwise excellent Armstrong & Miller show - the modern RAF pilots - was written by him.

I frequently like the subjects of the series that he presents. He’s a good serious presenter IMO. But he’s not funny, hignfy relies on others for that. 

6 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I frequently like the subjects of the series that he presents. He’s a good serious presenter IMO. But he’s not funny, hignfy relies on others for that. 

Tbf I probably dislike him for being too similar to myself.

Paul Merton is an effortlessly funny man but I look at Hislop and think that I can do that better than he does.

34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have no time for him.

Peter Cook's last big joke was to make this humourless establishment prig editor of Private Eye.

I was unsurprised to find that the one terminally unfunny running sketch of the otherwise excellent Armstrong & Miller show - the modern RAF pilots - was written by him.

I really like that sketch.:Old:

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I really like that sketch.:Old:

Humour is a personal thing.

Apologies to them for forgetting their name but somebody said that they enjoyed Hislop's contributions to HIGNFY far more than Merton's.

Nobody is "right" in this but I do find that unbelievable.

Paul Merton is a tremendous flight of fancy comic who can deadpan the funniest lines whereas Hislop, like most of us, starts laughing at his own joke before he's even finished it because he knows what is coming.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Humour is a personal thing.

Apologies to them for forgetting their name but somebody said that they enjoyed Hislop's contributions to HIGNFY far more than Merton's.

Nobody is "right" in this but I do find that unbelievable.

Paul Merton is a tremendous flight of fancy comic who can deadpan the funniest lines whereas Hislop, like most of us, starts laughing at his own joke before he's even finished it because he knows what is coming.

I haven't really watched HIGNFY since Deayton stopped presenting it. To put it into perspective it was getting old when I was a kid, and I'm now rapidly approaching middle age. It's like they can't think of anything else to fill that half hour.

But in its day I always preferred Paul Merton.

5 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I haven't really watched HIGNFY since Deayton stopped presenting it. To put it into perspective it was getting old when I was a kid, and I'm now rapidly approaching middle age. It's like they can't think of anything else to fill that half hour.

But in its day I always preferred Paul Merton.

It is now unwatchable. Completely woke and sjw.  

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I take pride in never laughing at my own jokes.

I don't take pride in my jokes never being funny.

Posted (edited)

From memory the expression British stiff upper lip was often used by the media probably until NuLabour took power and then it more or less faded into obscurity.  In those days it was used by the media rather than the general public.

That's along with expressions like it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.  You never hear that now either.  British fair play is another one.

They seemed to be replaced by stuff like Our heart goes out etc

If ever stiff upper lip was needed in modern times it's been during the pandemic chaos.  To be fair it was used once - that was during one of the CV19 press briefings and that was early on by a male in one of the questions.

Edited by twocents
1 hour ago, twocents said:

From memory the expression British stiff upper lip was often used by the media probably until NuLabour took power and then it more or less faded into obscurity.  In those days it was used by the media rather than the general public.

That's along with expressions like it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.  You never hear that now either.  British fair play is another one.

They seemed to be replaced by stuff like Our heart goes out etc

If ever stiff upper lip was needed in modern times it's been during the pandemic chaos.  To be fair it was used once - that was during one of the CV19 press briefings and that was early on by a male in one of the questions.

I still use play the white man .thought maybe I should not when surrounded by Africans at work