DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/18571345.major-food-market-bid-drawn-oldham-old-town-hall/

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

So covering up the victorian tiles that they've spent a fortune restoring?

Six food and drink concessions would be housed within the historic venue, linking in with a large al-fresco dining area in Parliament Square.

Six perspex partitioned burger outlets - with track and trace thrown in for free.

Edited by twocents
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/18571345.major-food-market-bid-drawn-oldham-old-town-hall/

Each to his own, but I actually quite like that Victorian tiling, I'm fairly gob-smacked they would cover it up with plastic, including those classical columns.

Shockingly white heritage though, I guess Oldham Council will relish covering it up. We've done the statues, let's start on the racist architects.

Edited by crashmonitor
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Plans to encourage new businesses to start up that are involved with indoor dining in a SarsCov2 world

Are they encouraging people to set up business that might struggle to succeed?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Each to his own, but I actually quite like that Victorian tiling, I'm fairly gob-smacked they would cover it up with plastic, including those classical columns.

Shockingly white heritage though, I guess Oldham Council will relish covering it up. We've done the statues, let's start on the racist architects.

I agree..

The first looks cheap and modern,  the other old-fashioned and costly.

Admittedly,  the lower one doesn't look like much of an eating venue..  but as a sports / concert hall it might have some potential modern use.

I wonder what they will re-name it instead of the Egyptian room..   the Ikea burger bar ?

Edit to add..    if they do go ahead I hope they will just loosely encase those pillars and ceiling beams.    Future generations would be delighted to accidentally uncover that ancient architecture.   It would probably become a massive historical restoration project.

Edited by Libspero
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I agree..

The first looks cheap and modern,  the other old-fashioned and costly.

Admittedly,  the lower one doesn't look like much of an eating venue..  but as a sports / concert hall it might have some potential modern use.

I wonder what they will re-name it instead of the Egyptian room..   the Ikea burger bar ?

Edit to add..    if they do go ahead I hope they will just loosely encase those pillars and ceiling beams.    Future generations would be delighted to accidentally uncover that ancient architecture.   It would probably become a massive historical restoration project.

The stunning Egyptian Room (notice that seamless link?) with its floor to ceiling tiles and its double-height vaults was once home to the Treasurers department, where the good folk of Oldham had come to pay the rates not that long ago.

Fast-forwarding to the present day, I had requested that all the fixtures and furniture from the safe room should be relocated during building works and I was keen to see them once again.

Last week I went to the secure offsite storage facility to view what had been saved.

With the benefit of light and a safe calm place to view I realised just how much we had managed to safeguard and we’re now looking to renovate some pieces and rehouse them for us all to enjoy in the future.

https://oldhamcouncil.wordpress.com/tag/old-town-hall/

thallfurniture1.jpg

6 hours ago, Funn3r said:

The tile picture is horrid and depressing IMO, brown and toilet-like, I would be cross if they had spent my tax money on polishing it up.

Bear in mind one is the artists impression of the new socially distanced looking room and one is the real drab deal.  Both will look brown and terd-like in the full flung reality of the British weather.

I'd probably turn it into a laser quest, make use of them pillars.