DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Today is a good time to start.. The daily head count of job losses post C-19

Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53348519

Well today is as a good a time as any to start what they called in the nasty 1980's recession a body/head count that they held weekly  on Friday on News at 10 to show all the  thousands of jobs disappearing weekly, it was a copycat thing similar to the US Vietnam body bag count help weekly.

Today we have John Lewis and Boots letting people go.

I have personally seen two friends and my Sister made redundant already, come the Autumn I suspect it will be gathering steam. Is it all bad, apart from the strain on decent individuals who just want to get by and even support their families?

No, not all bad, we have had zombie businesses spinning plates for too long now, worst in my opinion is the housing market.

Let the count begin, what jobs have you seen lost today/this week or month?

Edited by haroldshand
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another good reason not to buy a Tesla.

About half of them.

Shit, that's all of them, isn't it?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think the vast majority of jobs lost will never make the headlines other than them being part of the overall number 

They will be few here and a few there from tens of thousands of different employers 

Already pretty clear apart from some sectors (airlinesand alike) small businesses are the ones mainly on the hook, look at how Amazon have carried on trading and made out like bandits (obviously small companies will have done well too who use that as their sales platform). 

Posted (edited)

Slow traffic tonight on return home. Another resurfacing project on major route into Manchester. A hell of a lot was done in full lockdown.

Now its annoying again. Work at night why dont you!. I need my DOSBODS fix. I have been Markleised...so listen bigots. 

Got me thinking how many more Hoover style economic projects the government have on the go.

I looked at all the differing contractors on site. Minimal work without this stimulus.

Most of the pubs and eateries were still closed on this route home.

One poor estate today. Nothing open by the convienience store in a row of varied shops.

We have the big losses..John Lewis today...but of the view the small guy..the idependent will add large to these figures.

Furloughing and its demise will see the numbers crank up alas.

Edited by The Grey Man
On 09/07/2020 at 08:56, Long time lurking said:

I think the vast majority of jobs lost will never make the headlines other than them being part of the overall number 

They will be few here and a few there from tens of thousands of different employers 

Definitely this. Most jobs are still created by small companies that don’t make the headlines and that’s where they’ll be lost too.

I had started tracking some of these on the investing sub forum

----

Recent job losses blamed on Covid-19

The number of workers on UK payrolls dived more than 600,000 between March and May, official figures suggest.

BP 10,000 jobs globally

Centrica 5,000 jobs

Travis Perkins 2,500 jobs

HSBC 35,000 jobs

Poundstretcher 2,500

Jaguar Landrover, additional 1,100

BA upto 12,000

Various other companies listed on this link Many tens of thousands of jobs being shed across Europe. (and all over the world). We've not seen anything like it in modern history.

---

A bunch of of jobs going today, Burger King, John Lewis, Boots

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53348519

Two of the UK's biggest High Street retailers, John Lewis and Boots, have announced 5,300 job cuts.

Boots has said 4,000 jobs will go, while John Lewis is shutting down eight stores, putting 1,300 jobs at risk.

---

Other lay-offs announced include:

Up to 5,000 job cuts at Upper Crust owner SSP Group

Up to 12,000 jobs at British Airways

Up to 700 jobs at Harrods

About 600 workers at shirtmaker TM Lewin

1,900 jobs at Café Rouge-owner Casual Dining Group

1,000 jobs at Pret A Manger

1,700 UK jobs at plane-maker Airbus

1,300 crew and 727 pilots at EasyJet

550 jobs are going at Daily Mirror publisher Reach

On 09/07/2020 at 18:17, The Grey Man said:

Slow traffic tonight on return home. Another resurfacing project on major route into Manchester. A hell of a lot was done in full lockdown.

They won't have any tiny bits of spare asphalt to repair the years old side road potholes near the major route resurfacing - that's for sure.