Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

The old body is creaking. Woke up this morning with a stiff neck and sore right buttock. Did some painting off a ladder a couple of days ago but it was hardly the Forth Road Bridge. Pretty sure I hadn't been molested in the night.

Eyes appear to be buggered as well. I have a couple of reading glasses and the old one's don't seem to be working very well any more.

I was going to mention my thinning hair as well but that will set off XYZ with his ubiquitous and luxurious barnet.

Aging is a bit of a ball ache isn't it? Or progressive cellular dysfunction as I like to call it when I'm down the pub trying to sound clever

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I blame the millennium bug. I'm 60 now. Back around the year 2000, if I looked back to 1980, I was remembering 20 years ago, and it seemed like ages. Almost another lifetime.  Now , here I a

Dexys at number one with Come on Eileen, is closer to WW2, than it is to today.

Sure, but if you’re eating glazed doughnuts as a significant part of your diet and lying about on the sofa you’re going to be having to exert incredible will power to overcome your hunger signalling d

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The old body is creaking. Woke up this morning with a stiff neck and sore right buttock. Did some painting off a ladder a couple of days ago but it was hardly the Forth Road Bridge. Pretty sure I hadn't been molested in the night.

Eyes appear to be buggered as well. I have a couple of reading glasses and the old one's don't seem to be working very well any more.

I was going to mention my thinning hair as well but that will set off XYZ with his ubiquitous and luxurious barnet.

Aging is a bit of a ball ache isn't it? Or progressive cellular dysfunction as I like to call it when I'm down the pub trying to sound clever

No.

Others get old.

Saw a guy this week.  I am getting old he complained. 47.

Me and my colleage both a year younger went out of our way to stress he wasnt.

Clearly he wasnt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The old body is creaking. Woke up this morning with a stiff neck and sore right buttock. Did some painting off a ladder a couple of days ago but it was hardly the Forth Road Bridge. Pretty sure I hadn't been molested in the night.

Eyes appear to be buggered as well. I have a couple of reading glasses and the old one's don't seem to be working very well any more.

I was going to mention my thinning hair as well but that will set off XYZ with his ubiquitous and luxurious barnet.

Aging is a bit of a ball ache isn't it? Or progressive cellular dysfunction as I like to call it when I'm down the pub trying to sound clever

It sure beats the alternative.   o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed that hasn't yet happened.  My ex used to get angry about it (charming, should have seen that as a warning sign) and said it was because I spent so much time laying down reading books.

I took that as a bloody good argument for spending a lot of time laying down reading books!

I also had that at work with several people my age when one said about their aches and there was general nodding. 

It is one of the blessings that I definitely count.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fingers crossed that hasn't yet happened.  My ex used to get angry about it (charming, should have seen that as a warning sign) and said it was because I spent so much time laying down reading books.

I took that as a bloody good argument for spending a lot of time laying down reading books!

I also had that at work with several people my age when one said about their aches and there was general nodding. 

It is one of the blessings that I definitely count.

Means that you are not wearing your body out. Should last a lot longer.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

The worst thing so far about aging has been eyes - not being able to read close without glasses is such a fricking pain.

What a shitty design the human body is.

Agreed. I got to about 46/47 without the need for glasses. Can't read without them now. Long sight still good though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t feel “old”, but turning 40 I feel aware of my age in a way I haven’t before..  feels like it will be all downhill from here.  
 

Which is fine for now,  but does make me wonder how much I will really be able to enjoy my eventual retirement..  and what (if anything) I can do to keep myself as fit as possible for it.

As one percent eluded to,  is lots of exercise good or will you just wear your joints out quicker. o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I don’t feel “old”, but turning 40 I feel aware of my age in a way I haven’t before..  feels like it will be all downhill from here.  
 

Which is fine for now,  but does make me wonder how much I will really be able to enjoy my eventual retirement..  and what (if anything) I can do to keep myself as fit as possible for it.

As one percent eluded to,  is lots of exercise good or will you just wear your joints out quicker. o.O

 So far, at mid 50s

Up until 7 years ago I used to run 3 miles every morning. Can no longer run more than 2 miles because of hamstring tendonitis that always develops when that distance is reached, so I don't run at all any more. Also now have to make sure I hike downhills correctly (dont over extend the right knee) otherwise the tendonitis develops around the 9-mile mark and it is a hiking deal-breaker - it's agony. Favour my knee when hiking downhill and it's OK and I can go any distance it seems.

Two knuckles on left hand,  4 and 3 digits, are becoming mountainous. This is horse riding related arthritis I suspect. 20 years of riding using just my left hand.

Can use 1.25+ reading glasses, but I don't use them for anything other than intricate work, such as laptop repairs etc. Can't easily read very, very fine print anymore but I passed the eyesight test for my last ENG1 medical unaided.

Get up at 5.30 every day. I'd have only been happy spending more time liying down if an attractive gal was lying on top of me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Agreed. I got to about 46/47 without the need for glasses. Can't read without them now. Long sight still good though. 

I became short sighted in my early teens. I remember going for an eye test at school. Can you read the letters on the chart starting at the top. I think its an A. I really couldn't quite make it out. I should have said of course, what chart?

Perversely now I have to take my glasses off to read and view a computer screen.

As regards the general grumbles about aches and pains, all I can say to cheer you lot up is it gets worse :D.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I take Resveratrol,Nicotinamide,Quercetin,Vit D,Vit K,Metformin every day and a multi vit,magnesium,every 3 days.Im 48 and feel the fittest iv ever felt.

Sounds good. Any other diet or lifestyle changes to account for that, or just the supplements?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I belong to the school of "use it or lose it"

 

Looks like there may be some evidence to back that up:

Quote

In the first study, a total of 15,174 Olympic athletes were tracked between 1896 and 2010. On average, they lived 2.8 years longer than the general population of the same age, gender and nationality.

 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254034#1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

 

Looks like there may be some evidence to back that up:

 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254034#1

 

That's simply live longer though.

The main reason for living longer is a slower heartbeat which comes from being fit.

They're going to have aches and pains because of the stresses upon the body.  A commentator on snowboard jumping, or whatever it's called, noted that his kneecap was wired on because the required sideways flick at the start of doing a twist on launch made it looser and looser.

And as I've said previously the most unhealthy people I've known - grey pallor to the skin, eyes sunken back - were ultra runners because those repeated sixty / hundred mile runs damage and scar the heart.  I wouldn't have thought they do much good for the hips and knees.

The one time I heard a doctor address the subject she said if you want to run a marathon off you go but make it an occasional event because if you keep doing it you will damage your body; she said five miles was about the maximum you should be running if you want to avoid heart and joint damage.

The other example is a lot of skeletal damage cropping up in young infantry soldiers owing to the weight of kit and body armour they carry these days.  Up to six stones IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've aged hugely over the last 10 years, I'm mid 40s, I put it down to a very stressful divorce a decade ago, stretching over many years as there's a child involved.

Recently made some fairly drastic changes to my diet (went almost totally plant based), which seem to have helped a lot with both my mental outlook and various strains and injuries which were getting in the way of exercising, it's still early days though on the new diet 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

That's simply live longer though.

The main reason for living longer is a slower heartbeat which comes from being fit.

They're going to have aches and pains because of the stresses upon the body.  A commentator on snowboard jumping, or whatever it's called, noted that his kneecap was wired on because the required sideways flick at the start of doing a twist on launch made it looser and looser.

And as I've said previously the most unhealthy people I've known - grey pallor to the skin, eyes sunken back - were ultra runners because those repeated sixty / hundred mile runs damage and scar the heart.  I wouldn't have thought they do much good for the hips and knees.

The one time I heard a doctor address the subject she said if you want to run a marathon off you go but make it an occasional event because if you keep doing it you will damage your body; she said five miles was about the maximum you should be running if you want to avoid heart and joint damage.

The other example is a lot of skeletal damage cropping up in young infantry soldiers owing to the weight of kit and body armour they carry these days.  Up to six stones IIRC.

 Just look at ex pro rugby players in their late thirties  they are fucked 

We are no different to any machine abuse it and it will be knackered sooner rather than later 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

That's simply live longer though.

The main reason for living longer is a slower heartbeat which comes from being fit.

They're going to have aches and pains because of the stresses upon the body.  A commentator on snowboard jumping, or whatever it's called, noted that his kneecap was wired on because the required sideways flick at the start of doing a twist on launch made it looser and looser.

And as I've said previously the most unhealthy people I've known - grey pallor to the skin, eyes sunken back - were ultra runners because those repeated sixty / hundred mile runs damage and scar the heart.  I wouldn't have thought they do much good for the hips and knees.

The one time I heard a doctor address the subject she said if you want to run a marathon off you go but make it an occasional event because if you keep doing it you will damage your body; she said five miles was about the maximum you should be running if you want to avoid heart and joint damage.

The other example is a lot of skeletal damage cropping up in young infantry soldiers owing to the weight of kit and body armour they carry these days.  Up to six stones IIRC.

Not sure if even resting hear rate and fitness would suffice, 2.8 years is not a lot. The self selecting bunch that were the olympians would have been the ones without major (possibly) genetic diseases from early life. Surprising it is so little really if overall fitness were a major factor.

I know a veteran runner, does a lot of marathons, weekly or more not so long ago during peak season, fit as a fiddle, physique of a 30/40 year old, but did nothing at a young age sport wise. Basically retired with an un-knackered body and took it up as a hobby,

 

Edited by onlyme
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...