DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ageing woke luvvie burd disappointed to find herself in the real world where the new director likes a young burd more than her.....

Where's that tiny violin?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53360154

Julia Sawalha 'devastated and furious' at Chicken Run sequel 'ageism'

Julia SawalhaImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionJulia Sawalha has re-recorded some of her original lines to compare

Actress Julia Sawalha has said she is "devastated and furious" at not being in the Chicken Run sequel, claiming she was told her voice sounds "too old".

Sawalha, who played Ginger the chicken in the 2000 animated original, said she felt she had been "unfairly dismissed".

The actress said she had "officially been plucked, stuffed & roasted" after being told the role was being recast, but wished the film "the best of luck".

The BBC has asked Aardman Animations and distributor Netflix for comment.

'Ginger' in Chicken RunImage copyrightFOX Image captionThe actress voiced the intrepid Ginger in the original Chicken Run

In an open letter, the Absolutely Fabulous and Cranford star said she had been "informed out of the blue" that the producers of Chicken Run 2 were recasting Ginger.

"The reason they gave is that my voice now sounds 'too old' and they wanted a younger actress," she wrote.

Sawalha responded by filming herself speaking some of her old dialogue and sending the video to the sequel's producers.

She said she had received a "very kind" response from an unnamed "creative" - who said the recasting would still go ahead.

Voice 'nigh on the same'

Sawalha, best known for playing Saffy in Absolutely Fabulous, said she felt "fobbed off" and "totally powerless".

ADVERTISEMENT

She wrote: "I went to great lengths to prove to the production that my voice is nigh on the same as it was in the original film.

"I am saddened that I have lost the chance to work with Nick Park and Peter Lord from whom I learnt so much."

Park and Lord directed the original Chicken Run, with the sequel to be directed by Sam Fell. Lord is one of the its executive producers, while Park is on board as a "creative consultant".

Mel Gibson (centre) with Peter Lord and Nick ParkImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionMel Gibson (centre) with Peter Lord and Nick Park in June 2000

Sawalha's statement follows reports that Mel Gibson will not be reprising his Rocky the Rooster role in Chicken Run 2.

While not mentioning Gibson by name, Sawalha suggested he had been "axed" because his voice was "now too old" and that the same "excuse" was being used to justify her exclusion.

"Something in all of this doesn't quite ring true," her letter continued. "I trust my instincts and they are waving red flags."

The actress, who turned 51 last year, signed off by saying she was "off for the chop".

Chicken Run, Aardman's first full-length feature, told the story of chickens plotting to escape from a farm after learning they were being reared for slaughter.

The sequel, which will go into full production next year, will see Ginger and Rocky, now parents, face a "terrible threat" to "the whole of chicken-kind".

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be fooled, it's all plasticine.

A real PAN  4409796689745240 valid Luhn check and valid BIN  Hope some idiot didn't just copy a real card and change the name. Somebody order some Domino's quick and we'll have a dosbods par

Smashing blouse she has on.

Posted Images

In this day and age is it likely that any media organisation will even consider suggesting that an actress is too old.

I was only reading this week about Mel Gibson being dropped from the film with the article talking about his anti-semitism rants and his right of centre political stance. It argued that Hollywood was doing its best to sideline him again using the anti-semitism angle when, perhaps, it was due to his political views.

Having dropped Mel Gibson it makes sense for the production to do a clean sweep and get voices that younger people will identify with. It is a children's film after all.

This was in light of the claims in recent days by Winnoa Ryder re Mel Gibson allegedly making anti-semetic and homophobic remarks.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/winona-ryder-mel-gibson-oven-dodger-1234646288/

Winona Ryder has accused Mel Gibson of making anti-Semitic and anti-gay comments in an interview with The Sunday Times. The “Stranger Things” star was asked by a reporter if she has experienced anti-Semitism in the industry, and she responded with several examples.

“I have … in interesting ways,” she explained. “There are times when people have said, ‘Wait, you’re Jewish? But you’re so pretty!’ There was a movie that I was up for a long time ago, it was a period piece, and the studio head, who was Jewish, said I looked ‘too Jewish’ to be in a blue-blooded family.”

She also recounted a disturbing run-in with Mel Gibson, which is a story she has told over the years.

“We were at a crowded party with one of my good friends,” she said. “And Mel Gibson was smoking a cigar, and we’re all talking and he said to my friend, who’s gay, ‘Oh wait, am I gonna get AIDS?’ And then something came up about Jews, and he said, ‘You’re not an oven dodger, are you?’”

Ryder says Gibson “tried” to apologize later on.

A spokesman for Gibson did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Gibson’s most famous anti-Semitic outburst took place in 2006, when a police report revealed that he said “The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world!” during a DUI arrest.

He told Variety in 2016 that, “It was an unfortunate incident. I was loaded and angry and arrested. I was recorded illegally by an unscrupulous police officer who was never prosecuted for that crime. And then it was made public by him for profit, and by members of — we’ll call it the press. So, not fair. I guess as who I am, I’m not allowed to have a nervous breakdown, ever.”

Gibson’s prejudices have been publicly exposed several times. In 2010, RadarOnline published audio recordings of Gibson screaming at his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva during which he used racist slurs, including the n-word. The erratic Gibson — an A-list actor and director throughout the ’80s, ’90s and early 2000s — never fully recovered his stature from the fallout, though his 2016 war film “Hacksaw Ridge” was nominated for six Oscars, including best picture and best director for Gibson.

Ryder, who recently starred in “The Plot Against America,” said in the interview that she is “not religious, but I do identify. It’s a hard thing for me to talk about because I had family who died in the camps, so I’ve always been fascinated with that time.”

5 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

She looks really different now. I had a bit of a thing both her and Nadia when they were younger. Cracking norks, both of them, and I liked the hair.

She's actually one of the first women I remember fancying, when I was very very young.

She did some period drama 25 years ago or so where she was dress up in the appropriate dress and I remember my 12 year old self liking what I saw.

Ah but then Agent Scully came along soon after with her FHM shoot and no other woman mattered ;)

Edited by JoeDavola
42 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

showimagecredit.php?numtarjeta=4409796689745240&nombreth=WHITE+PRIVILEGE+&tj=VISA&chip=Yes&cont=Yes&type=Credit&cat=GOLD&binn=uPW1ngzUfNczoci1a20E3r4vr.

A real PAN 

4409796689745240 valid Luhn check and valid BIN 

Hope some idiot didn't just copy a real card and change the name. Somebody order some Domino's quick and we'll have a dosbods party... 

You'd have thought someone in the profession would understand these two points:

• If you don't look (sound) right for the part you won't get it, irrespective of how good you are.
  • If you won't offer the right marketing points for the production you won't get the part, irrespective of how good you are.

[And there's also: if you won't entertain the director's sexual deviances you won't get the part, irrespective of how good you are.  But she'll be beyond that stage now, so it probably doesn't count.]

23 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Good grief. She looks awful. I thought she was lovely looking earlier. Would have shared her with joe. 

Well logic would dictate that someone that pretty when they were younger (and who still IMO looks good for her age) who no bloke wanted to stick with long term must have been a bit difficult to get along with.

The BBC has asked Aardman Animations and distributor Netflix for comment.

I don't believe it. 

In 2020 they are being well old fashioned, behind the times and out out of date.

If men can be women and vice versa and all the rest then old people can be young people - it's just the voice.  It would be SJW cutting edge - at the forefront of social change.

Similarly a chicken can be a hen.

What'wrong with them - for goodness sake Aardman Animations and Netflix get with it, get with the times and get upto date and stop living in the dark ages.

Fuddy-duddies.

Edited by twocents