DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

COVID-1984: Compulsory Masks In Shops

Will you be wearing a face mask in shops?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be wearing a face mask in shops?

• Yes, I don't see the big issue
    • Yes, but I resent it
    • Not sure, depends if others do
    • No, I refuse outright
    • Not in England / Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might sound insane but fuck it, when you live alone and sometimes don’t meet with people for days at a time, it can make you feel a bit more connected with humanity to wander around a shop and just

That will really put me off shopping..  I’ll probably go back to lockdown shopping habits just to avoid the hassle / faff.

Lots of Chinese people wore masks before this virus appeared. Masks at this stage have very little to do with the control of this viruses and everything to do with the control of people, in my op

Posted Images

I'm not playing. 

Online food shop from now on. 

Only outgoings are going to be food and house repairs, and even they are on hold until I find out what this £5k bribe is going to be*.

*That I won't be entitled to. 

58 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I'm not playing. 

Online food shop from now on. 

Only outgoings are going to be food and house repairs, and even they are on hold until I find out what this £5k bribe is going to be*.

*That I won't be entitled to. 

No normal household is getting £5k, the total amount allocated in the mini-budget for residential energy efficiency was £2bn of which £1bn is for the poorest households only. So that's £1bn split between about 30 million non-poor households = £33 per household.

Politicians rely heavily on people not doing their own arithmetic when they announce policies.

Edited by Darude
13 minutes ago, Darude said:

No normal household is getting £5k, the total amount allocated in the mini-budget for residential energy efficiency was £2bn of which £1bn is for the poorest households only. So that's £1bn split between about 30 million non-poor households = £33 per household.

Politicians rely heavily on people not doing their own arithmetic when they announce policies.

Bugger! That’s my air-heat-pump plan fucked. Why didn’t they just zero rate VAT for energy efficient products - e-coated windows, PIR insulation, A++ products - cunts! I have been giving those bastards 20% for saving the planet. Someone get Greta!

3 hours ago, Libspero said:

Not come in yet,  but sounds like Boris is softening us up for it.

Apologies if already mentioned somewhere, but seemed worth a thread of its own.

Got here in Toronto although most shops were already refusing entry to people without masks on. It’s no big deal from my perspective.

10 minutes ago, eight said:

I think we should all hop everywhere. I mean, it's no big deal, and it might save one life. Probably. Can't hurt, anyway. 

Hopping is massively more effort than putting a mask on before you go into a shop. It’s have no idea why people are getting so bent out of shape about something which is temporary and at least reasonably likely to prevent them giving a nasty disease to someone else (if not catching it themselves).

9 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

It’s have no idea why people are getting so bent out of shape about something which is temporary and at least reasonably likely to prevent them giving a nasty disease to someone else (if not catching it themselves).

Probably because the advice/info about why you should have to is so inconsistent, combined with the PITA-ness of it all, and, if, seeing as at the height of chaos (depending on where you are) masks were not an important rule to adhere to, and the virus is receding, why would we need to start now?

One of the parts of this to mentally reconcile is that when this all kicked off, when  you were out and seeing  people wearing masks, I imagine, they were doing it to protect themselves. Now we have advice to be wearing masks/"coverings" to protect other people from us.

I've no confidence in the advice/reasoning in relation to this whole saga.

1 minute ago, leggers said:

Probably because the advice/info about why you should have to is so inconsistent, combined with the PITA-ness of it all, and, if, seeing as at the height of chaos (depending on where you are) masks were not an important rule to adhere to, and the virus is receding, why would we need to start now?

One of the parts of this to mentally reconcile is that when this all kicked off, when  you were out and seeing  people wearing masks, I imagine, they were doing it to protect themselves. Now we have advice to be wearing masks/"coverings" to protect other people from us.

I've no confidence in the advice/reasoning in relation to this whole saga.

Use your common sense I say. If you’re worried about catching or transmitted a disease that is known to spread by droplets then a mask of some sort will reduce, if not eliminate, the chance of that happening. If it doesn’t, given you can buy a cloth face mask for very little, it’s not like you’ve lost a lot by doing so. 

5 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Use your common sense I say. If you’re worried about catching or transmitted a disease that is known to spread by droplets then a mask of some sort will reduce, if not eliminate, the chance of that happening. If it doesn’t, given you can buy a cloth face mask for very little, it’s not like you’ve lost a lot by doing so. 

This is advice that could/should have been issued at the start of all this, and we wouldn't have had much further discussion about it!

I agree with you, it is sensible.

I also I understand why people will get bent out of shape about it though.

5 hours ago, Darude said:

And you can bet pretty much all of those ''poorest'' households will be private renters... so £1bn for the landlords to improve the value of their ''units'' in their ''portfolios''

I just can’t see people wanting to visit shops as much as they used to if they force this compulsory face covering through. A real dent to consumer confidence. For me there’s no future for Marks and Spencer and John Lewis store based operations. No doubt the chancellor will be along with discount Tuesday or something. 

My only contra is I guess this might be part of the winter readiness strategy which doesn’t bode well. 

Edited by Ash4781b
10 hours ago, Libspero said:

Seems a bit ridiculous when pubs full of drunk screaming/singing pissed people won't need them.

Or restaurants..   

When have the words `logic` and `contradiction` ever come into the present governments handling of the whole Covid19 scenario?!...

...when I heard this yesterday I became evident that not only have they lost economic control of the country, but they have lost control of their own behaviour (and what their role as elected representatives is)...ANY other political party would. be better at the moment as I truly believe they couldn't be any worse...and what's most depressing is that we have another four years of these fools!

Edited by MrXxxx

Don't forget this is about expanding power and getting government into the minutiae of life. Just like with money - 'oh well it's no bother using card instead of cash' except that the physical medium of exchange becomes digitised and 100% controllable and monitored. 'Hypothetical' preferred scenario envisaged in Rockefeller Foundation paper from 2010 on how to put the world on the path to the utopia of authoritarian centralised global government:

During the pandemic, national leaders around the world flexed their authority and imposed airtight rules and restrictions, from the mandatory wearing of face masks to body-temperature checks at the entries to communal spaces like train stations and supermarkets. 

Mask wearing in confined communal indoor spaces might have made sense as part of a flatten the curve strategy in early march, at this point normalising mandatory mask wearing is a combination of behavioural and narrative manipulation. Anyone thinking a medical mask will protect them from aerosol transmission is mistaken, there is a gap either side of the nose airborne particles will go straight in, even proper respirator masks aren't perfect and more gets past them than one might expect. Might possibly slow down sneezes. Chances are touching the face whilst adjusting the mask is a more likely transmission path anyway. 

The alternative of staying home and ordering online put  us on the path to freedom of movement going and also digitises and centralises access to resources. It's about nudging the herd in the desired direction and making changes less perceptible. Got to be a conspiracy theory? .... right?

10 hours ago, Van Lady said:

Yes, I’m going to wrap a scarf over my face only to avoid the local rural statsi whining. Makes life easier!

Unfortunately this is the problem, people will comply, and then they will `ratchet it up` to the next level, just look at what they have done in the last four months if you don't believe me...yet if enough say "Enough, no way", they will have to backtrack...how many of the BLM protesters got fines for breaking the social distancing/group meeting laws?

10 hours ago, ccc said:

Poor fuckers worked in Tesco no face masks for three fucking months and now they have to wear these things for their 8 hour shift. 

Cunt Sturgeon has a lot to answer for. 

Ah, so for three months when the pathogen was at its height in terms of R they a) didn't need to wear one, and more poignantly b) didn't all catch the virus despite `accessing` 100`s of potential carriers per day, and now its R value is low its deemed necessary?!....if any member of the public needed evidence that the whole Covid scenario has been about more than a public health issue here it is, and at a level of scientific understanding that even a child could understand.

8 hours ago, Darude said:

So this just goes to show how `independent` our media area...if it's that bloody obvious to you and me why are they not `shouting` about it?!

7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Got here in Toronto although most shops were already refusing entry to people without masks on. It’s no big deal from my perspective.

It is not a big deal, but it is a waste of time and resources and take us down a path from which their is possibly no return.

Once we make masks compulsory, then they are compulsory for as long as the virus is about - which means effectively decades  - unless a safe, effective Vaccine comes along, and a large enough % of people take it.

We live it in a time when anti-vaccine campaigners are a relatively mainstream thing, do you think that a large enough proportion of the population will be prepared to take one ?  I am not at all sure.

There are very low risks with all vaccinations and the truth is that we are expecting the youngish, fit and healthy population to take a product that will protect them from a disease that will probably do them no lasting harm.

Remember the hypocratic oath - first, do no harm.

I have seen close-up the suffering of one of my uncles who caught polio as a child and am therefore extremely keen on the idea of vaccination for infectious diseases,  but I will not be immediately taking a rapidly developed drug that has been rushed through all stages of discovery, testing and manufacture; I will wait for a few years to be confident that there are no unexpected side effects.

If I were an 86 year old obese asthmatic then I would probably take a different view.

How long before we have herd immunity without a vaccine ? decades.

How long before we have herd immunity with a vaccine ? multiple years, maybe decades if their is a reluctance to take them.

Hopping is massively more effor

Er can you supply the conclusive evidence for that please...in the same way that masks are effective....oh, and anti-bacterial hand gel for a virus!

So you adjust your masks, touch a product, I buy it, dont wash my hands after opening it and before consuming it...I now have the pathogen...

...how many times per day do you think this happens with all pathogens?...have you ever considered why we evolved an immune system?

49 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Why would masks ever be compulsory in shops, while not being compulsory in all work places?

I spend 12 hours a day at work, a lot closer to other people than I'd ever get in any shop.

But the argument would be that they are part of your social bubble....and `give it time`, they haven't decided what next weeks illogical statements are yet, by next Friday we could all be wearing Biocontainment suits 24/7!

12 hours ago, Van Lady said:

t’s already mandatory in Scotland from today to wear face coverings in shops.

That's a case of the Scottish government making rules just because they can.

It really is a bit late for masks, although I notice LIDL have loads, so I guess they want to sell them.

It's all becoming a bit of a farce, but the government can't admit it.

• spunko featured this topic