Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

COVID-1984: Compulsory Masks In Shops


Will you be wearing a face mask in shops?  

123 members have voted

  1. 1. Will you be wearing a face mask in shops?

    • Yes, I don't see the big issue
    • Yes, but I resent it
    • Not sure, depends if others do
    • No, I refuse outright
    • Not in England / Other

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Where we are now:

  • Everything open but wear masks when you go in
  • Vulnerable people self-isolating

Should have been the day one response. 

Instead it has taken nearly four months of vastly expensive and destructive chaos to get to the start point; very little of which was actually required.

The SAGE lot want shooting.

Remember watching the first few weeks or so of chinese videos.

Masks, temperature checks, just isolated lockdown of known infected accommodation/workplaces in nearly all areas apart for Wuhan,  tracing.

At the same time and all the way up to Italy blowing up, wide open borders, zero checks on landing, no enforced quarantine, not even heavily suggested advice at airports, nothing.

 

Edited by onlyme
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might sound insane but fuck it, when you live alone and sometimes don’t meet with people for days at a time, it can make you feel a bit more connected with humanity to wander around a shop and just

That will really put me off shopping..  I’ll probably go back to lockdown shopping habits just to avoid the hassle / faff.

Lots of Chinese people wore masks before this virus appeared. Masks at this stage have very little to do with the control of this viruses and everything to do with the control of people, in my op

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, eight said:

Apparently Disneyland Paris is set to reopen soon, with compulsory mask wearing for all over 12's. Have fun, kids!

I thought Blackpool Pleasure Beach has been open since 4 July. Didn't other theme parks follow suit?

18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

And armbands, and sing the company song.

"It's a Small World After All"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

So this just goes to show how `independent` our media area...if it's that bloody obvious to you and me why are they not `shouting` about it?!

I think it's a combination of journalists themselves being fairly innumerate (lots of history and English graduates), them knowing that their audience consists 95% of people who hated maths at school and will switch off the minute the journalists start doing calculations, and journalism being all about Selling The Story, which in this case is that the government is going to give people lots of dosh for household improvements. If they question The Story too much they don't have anything to sell.

At the end of the day everybody got what they wanted. The government got people to feel good because they might get a few thousand to do up their gaffe at some point, property owners got to feel like they had hit the jackpot, journalists filled their airtime/column inches for the day. Everyone's a winner. It was all a lie, but everybody won. 24 hours later, onto the next story, all forgotten.

Edited by Darude
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Darude said:

I think it's a combination of journalists themselves being fairly innumerate (lots of history and English graduates), them knowing that their audience consists 95% of people who hated maths at school and will switch off the minute the journalists start doing calculations, and journalism being all about Selling The Story, which in this case is that the government is going to give people lots of dosh for household improvements. If they question The Story too much they don't have anything to sell.

At the end of the day everybody got what they wanted. The government got people to feel good because they might get a few thousand to do up their gaffe at some point, property owners got to feel like they had hit the jackpot, journalists filled their airtime/column inches for the day. Everyone's a winner. It was all a lie, but everybody won. 24 hours later, onto the next story, all forgotten.

Agree with your latter part, but the former is indicative of either a) lazy/poor journalism as the subject matter (and its accuracy) can be reported in either a quantitative of qualitative fashion, or b) a state controlled media.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Agree with your latter part, but the former is indicative of either a) lazy/poor journalism as the subject matter (and its accuracy) can be reported in either a quantitative of qualitative fashion, or b) a state controlled media.

The state doesn't control ITV, Sky, the newspapers etc. I agree that it's lazy/poor journalism, but it seems to be what the customers want otherwise why are they still consuming it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Darude said:

The state doesn't control ITV, Sky, the newspapers etc. I agree that it's lazy/poor journalism, but it seems to be what the customers want otherwise why are they still consuming it?

Not directly, but the editorial content and the presentation, emphasis, omission, slant, etc is controlled by the editors/ owners to suit their ends.

Why? Money and power I expect. How transparent is the granting of broadcasting licences and franchises? How many media moguls receive honours, peerages and the like?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Not directly, but the editorial content and the presentation, emphasis, omission, slant, etc is controlled by the editors/ owners to suit their ends.

Why? Money and power I expect. How transparent is the granting of broadcasting licences and franchises? How many media moguls receive honours, peerages and the like?

You're talking about how the content is produced, which may well be flawed and skewed as you describe, but that wasn't what I was saying.

If people don't want this kind of content, why are they still consuming it? Nobody has to switch on TV news or buy a newspaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bornagain said:

How long before we have herd immunity without a vaccine ? decades.

How long before we have herd immunity with a vaccine ? multiple years, maybe decades if their is a reluctance to take them.

 

How many of the vulnerable and aged will choose to risk the vaccine, just like they take the flu vaccine every year? most

How many of the non-vulnerable under 70s have died in the UK with that virus? sub 1000 [table posted somewhere here not long ago]

Do we need herd immunity if there's a vaccine? NO

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Darude said:

You're talking about how the content is produced, which may well be flawed and skewed as you describe, but that wasn't what I was saying.

If people don't want this kind of content, why are they still consuming it? Nobody has to switch on TV news or buy a newspaper.

Who says that a large number of people don't want it? I’m sure we all know people who believe what they read in the paper and what the BBC says.

Chicken and egg really. I guess they are happy with it because it fits with their world view, and their world view has resulted in reading the paper and watching the TV news and not questioning any of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Where we are now:

  • Everything open but wear masks when you go in
  • Vulnerable people self-isolating

Should have been the day one response. 

Instead it has taken nearly four months of vastly expensive and destructive chaos to get to the start point; very little of which was actually required.

The SAGE lot want shooting.

Could not agree more.  And it WAS obvious back then too.

That plus enforced quarantine at all borders.

I wore a FFP3 mask religiously in supermarkets for about 6-7 weeks after lockodown started and was trying for 4m distancing. I remember before lockdown feeling reluctant to wear a gas mask style thing because noone else was taking any precaution and I was bothered about reactions.

Once it became apparent the virus is of limited danger unless you are very vulnerable, I stopped completely anything other than cooperating with others making it clear they want to distance.

It was common sense, the problem is that if Boris had followed that route he wouldn't have been able to point the finger at scientists and doctors who were over-cautious and say their fault. This is the NHS who tells us more than a big glass of wine a day will kill us.

Excellent thread on mumsnet about the MH effect of all this which illustrates well how damaging Boris/Dom, the NHS and SAGE have been and continue to be with their no-common-sense nonsense approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BWW said:

How many of the vulnerable and aged will choose to risk the vaccine, just like they take the flu vaccine every year? most

How many of the non-vulnerable under 70s have died in the UK with that virus? sub 1000 [table posted somewhere here not long ago]

Do we need herd immunity if there's a vaccine? NO

A vaccine is just a shortcut to herd immunity.....without a vaccine we would have herd immunity  in a few years, with a vaccine we could have it within months of us all being immunised.....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darude said:

but it seems to be what the customers want otherwise why are they still consuming it?

Not always a good sign, just look at the whole Princess Diana coverage...one day the public were `lapping it up like dogs`, the next they were prostrate in grief!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

A vaccine is just a shortcut to herd immunity.....without a vaccine we would have herd immunity  in a few years, with a vaccine we could have it within months of us all being immunised.....

 

That's not how the flu vaccine is used.

Given that covid19 appears not to be more deadly than a bad flu for those without underlying health problems, there's no reason everyone will need to take a vaccine. Many of us will choose to avoid it.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and those who choose it. Give the rest freedom to decide on their own health.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Who says that a large number of people don't want it? I’m sure we all know people who believe what they read in the paper and what the BBC says.

Chicken and egg really. I guess they are happy with it because it fits with their world view, and their world view has resulted in reading the paper and watching the TV news and not questioning any of it.

`Ignorance is bliss`, and in the week where the goal of getting 50% a university education was met, we still have a pretty `ignorant` [read critical thinking] society!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BWW said:

Could not agree more.  And it WAS obvious back then too.

That plus enforced quarantine at all borders.

I wore a FFP3 mask religiously in supermarkets for about 6-7 weeks after lockodown started and was trying for 4m distancing. I remember before lockdown feeling reluctant to wear a gas mask style thing because noone else was taking any precaution and I was bothered about reactions.

Once it became apparent the virus is of limited danger unless you are very vulnerable, I stopped completely anything other than cooperating with others making it clear they want to distance.

It was common sense, the problem is that if Boris had followed that route he wouldn't have been able to point the finger at scientists and doctors who were over-cautious and say their fault. This is the NHS who tells us more than a big glass of wine a day will kill us.

Excellent thread on mumsnet about the MH effect of all this which illustrates well how damaging Boris/Dom, the NHS and SAGE have been and continue to be with their no-common-sense nonsense approach.

The problem is Boris is a `weather cock`...with perhaps more of the latter!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

A vaccine is just a shortcut to herd immunity.....without a vaccine we would have herd immunity  in a few years, with a vaccine we could have it within months of us all being immunised.....

 

....and we could all have a whole lot more in the future if it has side effects!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BWW said:

That's not how the flu vaccine is used.

Given that covid19 appears not to be more deadly than a bad flu for those without underlying health problems, there's no reason everyone will need to take a vaccine. Many of us will choose to avoid it.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and those who choose it. Give the rest freedom to decide on their own health.

I agree, but somehow I suspect that any Covid 19 vaccine will be a bit different.

Vaccination certificate before you’re allowed to fly on a plane, cross any border, be employed, go into any shop, public building etc. as a minimum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I've got a plan.

Compulsory masks on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Freedom of choice on the other days of the week.

Ridiculous!...two of those days are Rishi`s National Soup kitchen` days...how are you going to eat, unless they liquidise it and we have straw holes in our masks.....are you after a place on the Cabinet? :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Ridiculous!...two of those days are Rishi`s National Soup kitchen` days...how are you going to eat, unless they liquidise it and we have straw holes in our masks.....are you after a place on the Cabinet? :-)

Good point. Let's make it 6am until noon for masks.

The old are up early anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

I've got a plan.

Compulsory masks on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Freedom of choice on the other days of the week.

BLM are insisting that you follow Leigh Francis's example and take the knee for that statement. 

Regarding not going anywhere that requires a mask, you won't be leaving the UK for a while then. Only time I've worn one is at the airport this week. 

It's good to get away after 4 months locked down as here is back to business as usual (as long as you avoid the Prague underground). Was 32 degrees yesterday so I sent my wife and daughter off to the outdoor pool yesterday whilst I worked. No restrictions in place on numbers (apparently north of 1000). 

I had a thought that about lockdown and Brexit / globalisation. 

As most of us will agree, freedom of movement brought about an increase in the speed of the destruction of the UK's economy. As well as offshoring work overseas, we also onshored cheap labour who ultimately sent a lot of their income overseas. 

I feel like this was by design, to somehow smooth out the differences in earnings across Europe (i.e. reduce our standard of living down to that of Romania). I wonder whether there is a plan to reverse lockdown in order of GDP per capita, giving the poorer countries a head start so we all end up on an even keel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • spunko featured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...