Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Pret Panic: homeworking is here to stay


Recommended Posts

Looks like Boris is getting worried about the future of Pret and Starbucks, the only two brands on the High Street according to UKGOV (as an aside: aren't they both tax dodgers?)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8512475/How-Britain-office-Employers-grapple-PMs-plea-workers-return.html

Like most I am working from home a lot now, with no plans to return full-time to the office. The offices around mine are largely empty too, most haven't been in since March apparently... 

Thought I'd create a thread where we can discuss what bribes/plans/tricks Boris will come up with to get businesses back into the office and spending money on overpriced sandwiches. It is the lifeblood of the economy, spending on frivolous things after all.

I suspect NikNak will extend the 'free lunch' offer to businesses, i.e. claim back up to 25% of your Pret sandwich costs per company, or something along those lines. No way will they let people work from home on this scale.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Johnson massively overcooked his mock-Churchill March 23rd lockdown speech, he scared most of the population completely shitless with the overly dramatic eve of war tone. The evidence for this is that

I spent ages reading the Daily Mail Comments on that article.  It really is that story that has it all.  Everyone finding out that compulsory home-working wasn't the end of the world (indeed quite the

I think this is now wider than migration and low cost wages, I think they have really effectively ended demand across several sectors while terrifying the population (look up SGAE notes they admit the

Posted Images

I'm going to ask the guy who manages the work programme how much sickness levels have dropped in the last six months as I know for a fact that in my work-group of 20 only one chap has had , I think 4 days on the sick in the last 3 months.

The open-plan office where we used to work was riddled with bugs 'n' viruses and I think not being in it has reduced sickness absence by a factor of 6.

Less sick = less people on the books = more profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chewing Grass said:

I'm going to ask the guy who manages the work programme how much sickness levels have dropped in the last six months as I know for a fact that in my work-group of 20 only one chap has had , I think 4 days on the sick in the last 3 months.

The open-plan office where we used to work was riddled with bugs 'n' viruses and I think not being in it has reduced sickness absence by a factor of 6.

Less sick = less people on the books = more profit.

I no longer have to interact with my toddler-owning colleagues and all their various bugs, which is a massive win for me.  I also believe that a lot of sickness is people having to take time off for the sort of domestic/caring duties that can now be accommodated with home-working.  No more sick days for hangovers or fed-up stress or feeling too emotional to go into work because the cat died or you had a vicious row with your partner or a really bad night's sleep due to the kids or the menopause.  The list is endless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Darude said:

Johnson massively overcooked his mock-Churchill March 23rd lockdown speech, he scared most of the population completely shitless with the overly dramatic eve of war tone. The evidence for this is that ministers expected about 20% of children to keep attending school (the list of key workers who could keep their kids in school was pretty broad) but in fact only 1-2% of children did. Then instead of sticking to 2 months of lockdown as the deputy chief medical officer said it would be at the start they dragged it out for more than a month longer and did almost nothing to prepare people for lockdown to lift. The lifting itself was completely bungled, rules changing every 2 days so nobody knows what they can or can't do.

Now here's the consequences, everybody still staying at home, government begging people to come back outside.

Lots of people said he wouldn't be a good PM, they were right.

He's probably also worried that people will start working out how many died from the various consequences of quarantine legislated and enforced by the government he leads, plus our NHS management emptying hospitals, preventing people from accessing life saving treatment and screening, whilst also sending covid positive oldies into nursing homes to infect more vulnerable elderly people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

High property, land purchase and lease/rental costs have been killing companies for decades (and preventing possibly millions of others from not being set up or expanding to their full potential), the time has finally come for the two large remaining commercial sectors - office space and retail. 

 A well deserved nail gun to the head.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Looks like Boris is getting worried about the future of Pret and Starbucks, the only two brands on the High Street according to UKGOV (as an aside: aren't they both tax dodgers?)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8512475/How-Britain-office-Employers-grapple-PMs-plea-workers-return.html

Like most I am working from home a lot now, with no plans to return full-time to the office. The offices around mine are largely empty too, most haven't been in since March apparently... 

Thought I'd create a thread where we can discuss what bribes/plans/tricks Boris will come up with to get businesses back into the office and spending money on overpriced sandwiches. It is the lifeblood of the economy, spending on frivolous things after all.

I suspect NikNak will extend the 'free lunch' offer to businesses, i.e. claim back up to 25% of your Pret sandwich costs per company, or something along those lines. No way will they let people work from home on this scale.

 

 

Outside of the health and freedom impacts of lockdown there are so many additional unintended consequences. The death of the high street and many support shops etc that supported office workers is one of them 

I think the next shoe to drop is, the furlough has enabled companies to get very lean, even if the economy recovers they will need many less employers as most add nothing really but implement process. Processes which have now been optimised 

Edited by ad_ceng
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if there will be a prompt for UK based hols?

I think many will holiday here anyway..if they do holiday due to lots of concern about travel abroad.

It would keep money circulating locally and keep tills ringing.

Wild card punt. Wales and Scotland may..may...want a piece of the holiday churn with private enterprise starting to skew from their government narratives.

In turn other local areas putting out more offers.

Places like Blackpool and Skegness might well see bumper years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, onlyme said:

High property, land purchase and lease/rental costs have been killing companies for decades (and preventing possibly millions of others from not being set up or expanding to their full potential), the time has finally come for the two large remaining commercial sectors - office space and retail. 

 A well deserved nail gun to the head.

 

Yes, Johnson and Sunak are only freaking out because the commercial landlords are screaming at them to do something, I doubt they give two shakes about the companies and workers themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The commuter economy is massive. Fuel tax, train, bus and tube fares. Taxis, coffees, sandwiches, the 1000s of small cafe and hot food places rely on commuters. Then there's the office space and everything that services them, including maintenance and drinking water deliveries, no to mention the energy spend. They can't have everyone working from home but they've hyped up the virus so much that companies like mine are saying a return to the office is purely optional, we won't make you. What can they do? What will they do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ad_ceng said:

Outside of the health and freedom impacts of lockdown there are so many additional unintended consequences. The death of the high street and many support shops etc that supported office workers is one of them 

I think the next shoe to drop is, the furlough has enabled companies to get very lean, even if the economy recovers they will need many less employers as most add nothing really but implement process. Processes which have now been optimised 

Good news. Maybe they will finally realise we don't need a huge input of foreign low skilled migrants every year? No more shitty sandwiches and beer for office lunch. And healthier and less populous country might be the result. Win. Win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, reformed nice guy said:

Fuck them, fuck them all.

I am doing my best to NOT support these leaches and now is the time that the ordinary person can make a difference.

Refuse the masks and shop online preferably at smaller companies.

Help bring down the rotten structure of retail landlords. Places like Pret a Manger and Starbucks should be services for the economy, they should not BE the economy!

Just to add, I went into Pret today for a takeaway coffee and was `told` I couldn't pay cash, cards only...I explained to the assistant that I didn't have a card on me and was met with a shoulder shrug (be good practice for the job centre)....now, this retailer has just opened after a 3 month closure, so can they really afford to turn away customers?

Noted, TK Max was the same. Some retailers had better get their online `up and running` before they go out of business, that or realse who the customers are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...