DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cazoo etc - would you use them?

Am I the only one who'd never buy a used car without seeing it and possibly test driving it? I bought a few cars at auction once but even then I was able to hear the engine, inspect it and sit in it, even if I couldn't drive it.  And it cost £2k. I can't imagine spending £25k on a used car without seeing it...

If I am not mistaken Cazoo, much hyped and with annoying ads always on the fucking radio, are selling used cars without customers seeing them first. In the USA there are/were a few such companies but a lot of them have folded.

I don't know if this one will last but it looks like a bubble - they have just become the fastest "startup" to reach a value of $1bn in only a few months... seems like hype to me.

PS: As an aside it looks like Alex Chesterman, the founder of Cazoo (he's the Remoaner who funded one of the dodgy court Brexit challenges) has copied another business. Much like Zoopla copied Zillow in the US, seems like Cazoo has copied Carvana. The names are always really similar too - but nobody has noticed weirdly. I can't fault the guy, he's made millions by copying successful USA-based businesses, but I'm amazed nobody has noticed this. Or maybe I am much mistaken and he has 100% original ideas, your honour (hope I don't get sued).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. It has become ingrained. But can I congratulate you on your very appropriate use of the semi colon?

You are not supposed to know how it works.  My car doesn’t even have a dipstick.  how do I know if it needs oil, i asked.  the computer will tell you.     im just waiting for the engine

Am I the only one who'd never buy a used car without seeing it and possibly test driving it? I bought a few cars at auction once but even then I was able to hear the engine, inspect it and sit in it,

Posted Images

Just now, spunko said:

Am I the only one who'd never buy a used car without seeing it and possibly test driving it? I bought a few cars at auction once but even then I was able to hear the engine, inspect it and sit in it, even if I couldn't drive it.  And it cost £2k. I can't imagine spending £25k on a used car without seeing it...

If I am not mistaken Cazoo, much hyped and with annoying ads always on the fucking radio, are selling used cars without customers seeing them first. In the USA there are/were a few such companies but a lot of them have folded.

I don't know if this one will last but it looks like a bubble - they have just become the fastest "startup" to reach a value of $1bn in only a few months... seems like hype to me.

PS: As an aside it looks like Alex Chesterman, the founder of Cazoo (he's the Remoaner who funded one of the dodgy court Brexit challenges) has copied another business. Much like Zoopla copied Zillow in the US, seems like Cazoo has copied Carvana. The names are always really similar too - but nobody has noticed weirdly. I can't fault the guy, he's made millions by copying successful USA-based businesses, but I'm amazed nobody has noticed this. Or maybe I am much mistaken and he has 100% original ideas, your honour (hope I don't get sued).

25k for a used car?   o.O  

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I like the blue one.  :)  mate’s son bought an in warranty BMW from a different franchise main stealer and had heaps of trouble with it, including them selling it to him without engine oil.  o.O  they passed the book between the two stealers and it still isn’t resolved. Best to stick to the main stealer when spending this amount. 

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

Cars are just white goods to a lot of people these days, they don't know or care how they work, just how good they look to the neighbours or on social media.

6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Cars are just white goods to a lot of people these days, they don't know or care how they work, just how good they look to the neighbours or on social media.

You are not supposed to know how it works.  My car doesn’t even have a dipstick. 
how do I know if it needs oil, i asked. 
the computer will tell you.  o.O

im just waiting for the engine to blow.   O.o

7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Yes, perhaps.

I just thought it was ballsy starting up a business like this where others have previously failed even though they did exactly the same thing (and ran out of cash).

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/10/rocket-carspring/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryjuetten/2019/01/15/failed-startups-beepi/#795848242e57

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Having owned both a BMW M4 and a Navara pickup, well, I'd pay the £9k...!  :D

You should have bought a Hilux

(I did have your views about pickups in mind)

But what's the BMW cost new. I just don't know what the extra money buys in the BMW other than pose value

I'd stick with a Peugeot or a Ford focus or something similarly cheap.

Edited by Hopeful

I wouldn't risk it. Have bought from auctions with no problems before but have been going to them since I was 12 with the old man.

I do know someone who spent 30k on a merc unseen and had it delivered from the dealer at the other end of the country - he had no problems and was delighted with it. I thought he was mental to even consider it though.

I've lived a charmed life with cars since a couple of exploding teenage fiats.

Buy a cheap car, around 10 years old with around 100k on it for a couple of grand, and use it until it gets boring, pranged, or given to the ex-wife. Rinse and repeat. So far nothing has gone wrong with any in over a decade other than basic maintenance. I think reliability has improved enormously.

Edited by eta-carinae
1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

You should have bought a Hilux

(I did have your views about pickups in mind)

But what's the BMW cost new. I just don't know what the extra money buys in the BMW other than pose value

I'd stick with a Peugeot or a Ford focus or something similarly cheap.

That is the sensible, frugal choice but if you wish for some excitement on the roads before we are forced to all buy electric cars then I would argue an "M" car (not necessarily new!) gives you the best fun vs cost ratio, being RWD. Bear in mind an M3 will outpace a £200k Ferrari. Probably one for another thread though...

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

That is the sensible, frugal choice but if you wish for some excitement on the roads before we are forced to all buy electric cars then I would argue an "M" car (not necessarily new!) gives you the best fun vs cost ratio, being RWD. Bear in mind an M3 will outpace a £200k Ferrari. Probably one for another thread though...

The best spontaneous excitment I've ever had on the roads and could wish for is parked in laybys with a girl on the back seat. The most memorable was on the A35 just outside Dorchester in a Mini Metro City X.

Edited by Hopeful
Just now, Hopeful said:

The best excitment I've ever had on the roads and could wish for is parked in laybys with a girl on the back seat. The most memorable was on the A35 just outside Dorchester in a Mini Metro City X.

It sounds very romantic, if a bit horizontally challenging.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Or behind ?

I did wonder about that.

But in the end assumed everyone would know what I meant.

I appreciate that you are described as 'behind the wheel', but as the steering wheel faces aft, from the wheel's point of view the driver is in front of it.

Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Or behind ?

I did wonder about that.

I appreciate that you are described as 'behind the wheel', but as the steering wheel faces aft, from the wheel's point of view the driver is in front of it.

Maybe.

And to add, I would say that the instrument binnacle is behind the wheel, therefore logic dictates that the driver must be in front of it.

7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I did wonder about that.

Maybe.

And to add, I would say that the instrument binnacle is behind the wheel, therefore logic dictates that the driver must be in front of it.

You could be right where men are concerned, men are probably infront of the wheel in a commanding position driving the car forwards (or backwards)

Women are probably behind the wheel just reacting to events

A related question is are you in frornt of the tiller of behind it ?